‹ Prequel: Blind Photographs
Status: Updates every other day

Destination Detonation

Captain Photograph

“This is Codename: Destination Detonation. You three,” I gestured blindly and wildly to one side of the room. “Will go around the west side of the city. You three, around the east.”

I gestured again, seeing the grand vision of it all in my head. “I’ll take you four and we’ll head through the tunnels under the city and surprise them. There’s a good chance that most of you won’t make it. This is no reason to give up hope, though!” My hands were waving as I talked, trying to paint a picture on the outside that was only on the inside. “This is for our future! And if you die for what you believe in, then it’s something to be proud of. Martyrdom! Patriotism! Faith in the gun wielding gods above us! Any questions?”

“Ooh! Captain Photograph!” I said, switching my voice. “How did you come up with all of this?”

“Simple,” I answered myself, going back to normal. “I know that city like the back of this bandana.”

“What about the fabulous killjoys? Where are they in this plan?”

“I thought I said you four were coming with me!”

“Sorry Captain,” I replied in a regrettably bad imitation of Jet Star’s voice. “I was helping Party Poison with his gun.”

“No excuse, soldier! This is for Boom Box, my sister! She’s one of us, and if this goes badly it could come to be your fault!”

“But he’s just preparing for the fight!” I whined as Party Poison.

“Admirable, but not when I’m giving directions. Now as I was saying,”

“Nice plan you’ve got there.” I nearly screamed when I heard the Kobra Kid’s voice. “Saw you through the window so we thought we’d listen for a little bit.”

“And I do not sound like that,” Party Poison complained, squeezing the back of my neck as he passed. It didn’t hurt, but it was a sort of friendly warning not to try it again.

“It really could work, though. Do the tunnels go to the city?” Jet Star asked.

“I have no idea. You’d have to ride all the way down past the Tower and everything. No one really travels by tunnel except out east, and as soon as you get out of the ice you surface. It’s definitely a possibility though. Killjoys don’t have enough tools to get those tunnels through rock so the city must have made them. There’s a huge entrance near the Joker and Harley’s hideout, maybe a mile or two to the east. If I can find it again we can get the Trans Am into the tunnel and move faster then we could ever be on foot. There’s bound to be an entrance into the city,” I rambled, realizing how plausible it actually was. “So does that mean Destination Detonation is a go?”

“Affirmative, Captain Photograph. We set this shit in motion in three days. We’re going to be so ready for this it’s not even funny.”

I tried to keep myself from smiling. This was serious business, but it felt so good to be an important part of the team. I was one of them. A fabulous killjoy.

We’d get Grace back and topple the city’s defense, maybe do a mass sensory shock and free the citizens. First, though, I needed to practice.