Status: ACTIVE.

Lightning Moments

Liam

I hurried into the school, feeling the rain pelt my head, neck, and shoulders. Once I ducked inside, I ran my hand through my curls, trying to shake out all the water. But I knew it was a lost cause. My hair was going to dry fro-like.

Sighing, I stopped in front of my locker and went to transfer a couple of my books. Just as I was putting in my chemistry book, I heard a familiar voice greet, “Hey there, mate.”

I looked up to find my best friend Zayn grinning at me. His hair was still perfectly styled, despite the pouring rain. And I noticed a new addition to his appearance that made me suck in a fast breath.

“You got gauges?” I asked, raising an eyebrow. “Isn’t that against the dress code?”

Zayn rolled his dark brown eyes. “I dunno, and I don’t really care. It’s not like they’re huge gauges. They basically just look like regular earrings.”

“You’ve got a point there,” I allowed as I slammed the door to my locker shut. “So I guess you’re just going to have to see.”

“I guess I will.” He smirked at me. “Oh, Harry wanted me to tell you something…” His eyebrows pulled together as he pondered. “Um…oh, yeah! After school, we’re all going to go over Lou’s house to play some video games. You up for it?”

I nodded. “Sounds good with me.”

“Cool.” Zayn patted me hard on the shoulder and started walking away. “This is my room. See you at lunch?”

“Yup,” I agreed.

He gave me one last wave before he escaped into the classroom.

I continued my way down the hallway, avoiding the hoards of people that were staring to pour into the hallways. Small groups stopped at different points, blocking the whole way. There were few things that annoyed me more than ignorant people, especially early on a rainy morning.

Finally, after squeezing and pushing my way through enough teenagers to give me a workout for the day, I settled down in my first period class: chemistry.

A quick glance around the classroom let me know that I was basically the first one there. I leaned back in my seat, drumming a beat on the corner of my notebook with my pencil, waiting for class to start.

The students filed in slowly, some having discussions with one another, laughing. I blew a curl out of my face and waited for the one person I was waiting for.

And, of course, he came bounding in just as the bell rang. “I was on time today, Ms. Spears,” he teased, grinning. “I believe that late means after the bell.”

She sighed and shook her head. “Just sit down, Louis.”

He did so triumphantly, plopping his butt in the seat behind me. “How about that, mate?” he whispered to me. “Finally got on time today.”

Louis was never on time. And he always liked to make a big entrance. He was definitely the kid that could get the whole class laughing within minutes, even the teacher. Ms. Spears hated that Louis could make her laugh. But it was a gift he had to bestow upon the world.

“Congratulations,” I chuckled back at him breathily. A second later, I felt a tap on my shoulder, so I turned, seeing my friend sitting with his hand up for a high-five.

I connected my hand to his, sending a slapping noise through the class, before turning back around.

Ms. Spears gave me a warning look, so I smiled sheepishly back. She loved me by myself, but she was always cautious when I was around Louis, even though, most of the time, I was holding him back from doing something really outrageous. Like the time he thought about mooning the class for no particular reason.

“Alright,” she started, brushing the side bangs of her light brown hair out of her face, “I’ve got your tests from last week graded and ready to hand back. So why don’t we start off with getting those back to you?”

I sat up straighter in my seat, ignoring Louis’ muttered, “Nerd.” I knew I’d destroyed that exam. Granted, I studied for three hours the night before, so if I hadn’t gotten a perfect grade, I would have been very upset.

Ms. Spears called out our names one by one, followed immediately by one of the students in the class getting up to take their tests.

“Liam Payne,” she called, holding out my test for me. I climbed out of my seat and worked my way down the aisle, avoiding backpacks and feet that could have blocked my way.

“Thank you,” I granted as I took the paper from her. A smile spread across my face as I read the grade on my way back to my seat. One hundred percent.

“Louis Tomlinson,” Ms. Spears called a couple kids after me.

He stumbled over a backpack on his journey to the front, getting his paper and going back to his seat. “Alright!” he exclaimed excitedly so only I could hear. “Fifty-eight! Better than last time.”

I snickered. “Louis, you should really start studying,” I told him, maybe sounding a little preachy, as I turned around to look at him.

He narrowed his blue eyes at me. “I’m not really the studying type. Or the chemistry type. Or the school type, for that matter.”

“Shockingly enough,” I joked, “I noticed.”

He fake-laughed at me as I pivoted my body to face the front again. Ms. Spears had only one test left in her hand, and she had a look on her face that I knew was off but couldn’t place.

“Mika?” Ms. Spears started, her eyebrows pulling together over her light brown eyes. “Can I talk to you in the hallway for a minute, please?”

Mika? Who the hell was Mika? I looked around the room and saw a small girl get to her feet. She scanned the room for a second, probably to take in how many people were staring at her (which was the whole class).

When her eyes brushed over me, I couldn’t help but notice their color. A bright blue that seemed almost to light up when my eyes met them. Their color was so distinctive that I could see them across the room.

“Man, mate,” Louis whispered in my ear, “I don’t know who that bird is, but she sure is fit.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, not looking at him. “She is.”

“Oh!” Louis exclaimed, his chair squeaking as he leaned forward in it. “Are you coming over after school? We’re going to have a battle to the death!”

I chuckled, remembering how competitive Louis could get with his video games. “I wouldn’t miss it. Don’t worry.”

“That’s my boy,” he joked, shoving me good-naturedly.

I didn’t look back at him, instead watching the two girls out in the hallway. My curiosity got the better of me as I wondered what the hell Ms. Spears would want Mika for.
♠ ♠ ♠
:D So here's Liam's POV. And whoa, the subscriber rate to this story is BOMB. Thanks so much, you guys. Hope this chapter lives up to the first one! :)

And yes, I gave Liam his curly hair. I could not resist. Ha-ha. :D