Status: In the middle of a gunfight, in the center of a resturant....

Letters to Kelsey

Sixteen

And that very night, I wasn’t able to fall asleep because of the constant thoughts of Noah and I dancing together. It wasn’t a nightmare, but it caused me to wake up in sweat. The moment played in my head over and over, like a broken record, and it wouldn’t stop. It even switched Noah’s face with Frank’s, and from him back to Noah’s. Then the forty guest that were present had disappeared and the music, simultaneously faded with them. I was alone with Noah, just me and him; standing still with our fingers weaved together. Noah had then kissed me and pulled away from me, heading towards the exist doors. But before he left me, he mouthed a goodbye and smiled. It was incredibly heartbreaking to watch and to even witness. I pulled myself up out of bed with my elbows and turned on my bedroom lamp, pressing my hands over my eyes. There was no hope in trying to sleep that night and so I reached from beside my bed, where the box of letters remained, and began to open another letter. I looked once back into the box and realized that this was the last.

The forth letter: May 30th , 1944

Dear Kelsey,

Joel and I are becoming great friends, honestly. An early friendship grown quickly, I suggested that we stick together. Today we were talking about Normandy and I promised him, if anything happens, that I will be right behind him. I’ve also thought about how serious things have gotten here too, everyone is practically dead and lots of these men have lost limbs. But Joel and I are lucky—today that is anyways. I heard that we’ll be in groups during our mission in Normandy and that we probably will ever come back home. Well if you asked me, I would say it would only depends and I have some faith that we will take on these evil men. Lt. Kelly told us to take a long look at each other today, as soldiers, friends, sons and fathers. He told us that this probably will be the last time we sit next to each other.

And so I thought about you, Scarlett, the family and that one day when we were at the beach together and I asked you about being alone. I never would’ve thought I’d say this to you, but I feel that we should go apart. Since I haven’t seen you in a long time, it is best that I explain this to you now. I will always love you no matter what happens to me and I mean this, dearly. I want you to never be alone, I’ve always tried to avoid you from that. I want you to live your life happily and artistic as well as Scarlett. I also would like for you to tell her that daddy loves her and he’s always going to be there for her. Kelsey, you do these things for me and I will always—and still, be the happiest man in the world. You and Scarlett are my pride and joy. I hope that one day, if I live to see how gorgeous Scarlett turns out to be like the wonderful woman we have created her to be. I want you both to one day and see through my lens, that you are a piece of artwork. A piece of art that deserves to be right side the Mona Lisa and catch everyone’s eye when they’d walk by. I promise you, Kelsey, that someday you will become someone else’s piece of art and will be inspired by your flaws. Everything that makes you beautiful. It is one of the main reasons why I fell in love with you at first sight.

You’ve always been mine and I will always cherish those years forever, but then, I must let go and set you free. I have to share you to the world, art and your long lasting beauty. The world isn’t ready yet for you, but are you ready to see what I’ve seen in you? I assure you that someone will come in your life as company, a friend, an artist I hope, and or God. They will frustrate you at first, but you will learn to trust and believe in all living things. Trust your heart and your soul, that one day you’ll fall in love again with someone that is not me. I can only hope for eternal happiness and love for you, and our wonderful baby girl, Scarlett. Well, it’s been an amazing journey to be with you as my wife and my armor, I just want to say goodbye. I love you all so much. Forever and always. Just remember, I’m always there when you need me…just look up in the clouds.

Je t’aime,

Noah

I held the letter close to my heart as I felt my eyes water, feeling completely numb from what I’ve read. Noah had known something and yet, today, I still find it absolutely beautiful. He knew that, somehow Frank was brought into my life for a reason and that purpose, Frank had known too. But how? I’ve always wondered and will never figure it out, I just knew that Frank was right about everything. Immediately I had called Frank and told him that he was right. He was pleased by what he was hearing ‘round that type of night. I also asked him if it was possible if he came back to Atlanta a day early because I needed to talk to him and that it was urgent. He agreed.

The next morning, a very fine sunny day, I decided to go to check on George and Elena. Scarlett wanted to get her grandfather flowers too. I drove up to their place, hoping that George had gotten better over night, but as soon as I arrived, Elena was sitting on their front porch. It was also brought to my attention that she didn’t get enough sleep and it was probably the last thing she wanted to do. “Morning, Elena.” I called out to her, gently. She instantly looked up at me and smiled wide, seemingly happy to see me.

“Well hello, Kelsey. What brings you here this early morning, honey?” Elena asked.

“I figured that I check on George today and possibly make you breakfast.” I told her.

Elena placed her hand over her heart and pressed her lips against my cheek. “That’s sweet of you. Come on in and have a glass of iced tea. I just made a pitcher.” She motioned Scarlett and I into the house, where George had been sitting in their huge living room. He was sitting comforably in the small lazy-boy with his legs prompted up and reading his morning paper. George looked content, out of bed where the last time I heard he was and he seemed to be very pleased for me to be there. I didn’t give it a second thought and gave him a smile back. Scarlett rushed over towards him with a bouquet of sunflowers from the market, with the most wonderful smile across her face. She was grateful to see her grandfather.

George’s jaw dropped in a surprising expression as he held his arms wide open for Scarlett to fall into them and he’d prepare a old story to tell. They were always about the sun, the stars and the entire universe. He would tell her that if she looks outside, she can find herself a shooting star. It always made me wonder, if he ever honestly caught a shooting star before. He had’ve, I mean, back during his childhood. I decided to ask him, besides asking about how he’s feeling. As I watched the endless bond between them, Elena had called me back into the kitchen, where she had started a batch of pancakes. My mouth watered, it looked and smelled delicious—as always, and she had sat me next to her at the table. I took a long sip from the cold, sweaty glass of iced tea as I watched her expression change. Her rising spirits were frayed when she had carefully annonced that she was going to take George to the hospital. “Elena, he looks wonderful this fine morning.” I had told her, trying to convince her that she was worrying too much.

Elena sighed, removing herself from the table to flip her pancakes and add more mixture to the skillet. “He was coughing up blood last night, Kelsey.”

“What?” I choked. “What do you mean coughing up blood?”

“Kelsey, listen to me. I know I’m no doctor and sure ain’t gonna be one, but I think George is going to die.” Her eyes gazed upon mine and long behold, she began to cry. “It’s about that time…”
“Lord, Elena. Don’t do this to yourself, remember, staying strong?” I asked her. Elena sobbed and wiped her face.

“I did tell you that.” She nodded. “I sure did…but I’m gonna take him after breakfast and I want you to take Scarlett home. I’ll call you when I get back to the house, you understand?”

“Yes, ma’am.” I answered before hearing George and Scarlett walking into the kitchen behind me. They were laughing, Scarlett was doing more of the laughing and they sat long side each other. I just smiled at them at how adorable they were. “How are you, George?” I asked, although receiving any acceptional answer wasn’t going to do me any good.

“Well, it’s beautiful outside. I’ve got myself a beautiful wife, three beautiful children, two grandchildren and a daughter-in-law.” George explained cheerfully and added, “I am perfect.”

It made me smile. I was glad that he was in good spirits and accepted that he needed to go to the hospital. It was getting worse, the coughing and shortly after breakfast, George was rushed to the hospital. It was only hours later that Elena had called me and said that George was dying of pnemonia. When I heard the words slip from her gentle soft lips, I could only look over at Scarlett and then, I thought about Noah. He was going to see his father up in the sky and I told Scarlett that same old story that she loved with all her heart, to only give her comfort. It was going to be alright and I had to keep that in mind, especially Elena.

There were days where I’d take Ellie with me to see her grandfather too, because her father refused to go up to the hospital. We’d go up together and keep Elena’s company while she talks to George about the good old times. Of course, I truly didn’t understand what their old times meant because it was far beyond my esistance. Although it was very lovely to watch. One day, Elena had taken the girls to the candy shop downtown and I was left alone with George. I could tell by looking at his flakey dried skin and weak, short winded breaths he took that he was ready to leave the earth. I took him by the hand, hopefully getting his attention as he tried to sleep. I felt terrible, but I needed to speak with him, God only knew how long he was able to stay awake. George’s eyes peeped through his thin eyelashes, gazing upon my face and forced a smile across his sagging face. He was a man of faith and loyality, holding the exact smile I remembered Noah flashing right before he left. It was sad, fading, but beautiful.

“Kelsey, you’re a great woman.” He had struggled to say without couching. “A very fine, fine piece of work…and I hope you know that.”

It broke my heart to hear these words again, because it was all true, everything once again and it was brought back to Frank. He loved me and I had finally figured this out. I pressed my lips against his cold, papery hand and smiled. “Thank you, George. You’re a great man, yourself. You brought in a soldier with a heart made of gold that I was able to share my life with. And I just want to thank you, George. I love you so much.” I explained to him.

George chuckled, heavily and coughed again, still holding his smile. “I love you too, Kelsey. No matter what happens and tell Scarlett, and Ellie that I said—“ He paused to cough for a moment. “I love them and make grandpa proud.”

I felt tears in my eyes as I agreed to what he had asked of me. We held hands for a while, until Elena came back with the girls. Scarlett and Ellie rushed over towards George to kiss his face, then their goodbyes for now. I didn’t let go of George’s hand, I felt like I shouldn’t because I didn’t hold Noah’s when he died. Elena walked over towards me, took my hands away and coursed her dying husband’s hair back. She kissed him and whispered that she was going to stay. That made me feel better though and later that night, George had passed away.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait, I promised you it would be pretty long. Long enough that is and thanks for being patient :) I hope you like it. I'm working hard. More hopefully sooner, if not, that's because I'm busy.

Just a short note: Two characters names were changed and they are, Lindsey to Ellie and Gerald to Harold. I just felt it's best that if I had changed it. That's all for now though.

Art is the weapon!
Jazzilyn xoxoxox