Status: In the middle of a gunfight, in the center of a resturant....

Letters to Kelsey

Six

I almost jumped out of my skin and probably died of a heartattack, but I panicked and threw the first punch to the face of a young man, about my age. He had short black hair, light green eyes and about my height. The man was indeed handsome, I will admit. He fell onto the ground due to the impact, holding his nose and instantly tasting his own blood. I stood up and waited for him to react. The man looked up at me and removed his hand from his nose, examining his injury—I probably broke his nose. Flushed dark spots of purple and blue, I noticed that his nose was not going to stop bleeding anytime. The man didn’t mind, he didn’t even care for my handkerchieff I offered to him and he stood up in front of me. “I’m sorry about that,” I apologized. “You scared me to death. How’s your nose?”

The man licked his lips and smiled at me. “You must be Mrs. McCracken, I’m Frank, Frank Liza. I knew your husband.”

“Excuse me?” I answered, concerned. “Please…explain yourself.”

“Noah McCracken, the fallen soldier saved my brother, Joel. I’ve been meaning to talk to you and give you my deepest condolences.” Frank explained. “Forgive me for frightening you.”

I didn’t test him any further and ordered him to take the handkerchieff. “It’s fine. How about you come on over and let me get you some ice before you scare off the children around here.”

“If you insist, ma’am.”

“Please, you can just call me Kelsey. Now come along before someone finds you like this.” I told him, grabbing him by the arm and dragged him all the way back to the house. When we arrived, I brought him to the kitchen and let him sit anywhere at the table, while I grabbed a dishtowel. Frank watched as I ran the towel under warm water and took out the ice box from the freezer, I felt a bit bad for hurting him. “Once again, I’m sorry about your face. Here put this on it, it’ll help the swelling go down.”

“Kelsey, ma’am, it’s alright. Thank you. I supposed that you’d like to know more about my brother Joel, I’m guessing. I mean, it’s only fair that I tell you.” Frank inquired.

“Yes, of course. I mean, this is quite strange but please, inform me.” I reconsidered.

Frank pressed the towel against his face and motioned me to sit in front of him. “Noah and Joel were in Normandy, on the beaches, right in the center of Germany’s brutal traps. Joel told me that the men were split in small groups and Noah had became the leader of one of the groups. Now Kelsey, to make a long story short, Joel had went out in front of a German gunfire and Noah had pushed him away from getting his face blown off.”

“Lord, have mercy…” I exhaled, covering my mouth. I couldn’t believe my ears.

“Because of your husband, my kid brother is alive.”

“Well, I’m glad to hear that he’s alright.”

“But is there anything I can do for you?” He asked.
“I’m afriad not, Frank. He’s dead. He isn’t coming back, but thank you, honestly. I just glad that Joel is alright and well.” I murmured as I began to twirl my thumbs.

Frank seemed to be concerned when he looked at me, reading me just like an open book and he laid his hand on top of mine, hesitant of what may lead to another attack to the face. “Will you be alright?”

“I think so.” I told him, holding back tears. “Noah and I were amazing, okay? We were going to be the best parents in the world together, young and stupid or not. We didn’t care though and then, right after I had Scarlett, he was drafted.”

“Kelsey, I’m so sorry.”

“Please, it’s nothing neither the both of us had possible control over, honestly. He was eighteen years old with a gifted talent of being an artist. Noah loved to paint and draw, that’s all he ever did. He was just this amazing man that I fell in love with and—“

“I believe you. He saved my brother’s life.” Frank reminded me with a warm smile. “Look here, Kelsey. If you need anything—“

“Frank, thank you for your consideration, but I just met you.” I chuckled. “Let’s not rush things, right?”

“Well, I thought I had to meet the hero’s wife and thank her.”

“Thank me? Well Frank, not to sound rude, but you didn’t have to thank me.”

Frank slowly removed his hand, adjusting the towel once more against his face before handing it back and thanked me for the towel. A strangely attractive man with a higher chance of having a broken nose, somehow made my afternoon. He even left his number on the counter and reminded me to call whenever I need someone to talk to. Perhaps a friend, which I certaintly was never great at making besides Noah and his family.

That very evening, Elena invited Scarlett and I over for dinner, and perhaps a family discussion. Usually when those things would happen there’s always an altercation, if you will and I’d have to leave the dinner table with a screaming child. It’s just Noah’s brother Sam, really. He never liked me nor did he like the fact that I was having Noah’s child—he doesn’t treat Scarlett any different, but his own. I even remember the day when Noah and I were to be wed, Elena literally forced him to be present at the wedding. He didn’t speak to anyone that day. I believe because probably he was ashamed of his kid brother marrying me.

He will never understand why or what Noah had always seen in me. Something incredibly special and I still think he’s afriad to see that. But that evening, was different. Sam didn’t ignore me, but he stared at me and not a fist was thrown. I was surprised and shocked. Then when Elena and George explained about what had happened to Noah, Sam went over to me and hugged me tightly. I thought I was dreaming, maybe I had too much expensive wine or I was just wrong about him. Sam was going to change and start being kind to me.

I guess that’s what death does to people sometimes, changes a person and or brings everyone together like a puzzle; even broken glass.

That was alright too. I accepted that.
♠ ♠ ♠
I need help making a cool layout, can someone please help!
Thanks again, for reading this at least.

Art is the weapon!
Jazzilyn xoxoxoxo