‹ Prequel: Ours Now....
Status: I'll start it soon!

Ours Forever....

Thought #14

Thought #14
Sid,
We’re on the plane back to Pittsburgh. I managed to qualify for every event that I raced for, giving me six events for London. I’ll be swimming the 100 meter, 200 meter freestyle events, the 200 meter backstroke, the 100 meter breaststroke, 200 meter individual medley, and the 4x100 meter freestyle relay. It’s the same set that I swam in Beijing, except I added the individual medley this past spring. I think I have a shot at placing for each of them.

You, Janine, Pat, Kris, and I all celebrated yesterday afternoon with a massive lunch that I’m now regretting eating, a day just walking around Omaha, and then-at my request- we went to bed early. I was exhausted. You would have been too if you’d done as much as me for the last few days.

This past October, we the team celebrated Pat’s first birthday a week later than the actual date. And of course, there was a game that night. Against the Capitals, no less.

You were on edge, seeing as you wouldn’t be out on the ice to get some fight time in with Ovi. I was on edge because your behavior made me nervous.

“Don’t worry, Rory,” Jordan assured me. “We’ll score plenty of goals for you and Pat.” He patted my cheek ‘affectionately’. He was just trying to crack a joke instead.

“And I’ll make all the saves,” Flower beamed sticking out his chest. The funny thing was, he wasn’t kidding. At all.

“I’m sure you boys will,” I sighed. “Just win so that Sid can relax a little. He’s really tense right now.”

“I’m sure there’s some way you could relieve that,” Kris smirked as he kissed Janine on the cheek before the team took to the ice.

“Ew, Kris,” Janine groaned. “I don’t need nasty thoughts of my cousin and Sidney in my head.”

“Well they’ve already got a kid,” he said gesturing to my arms where Pat was nestled.

I rolled my eyes and set Pat down on his feet. He had been attempting to walk for the past few days. I was a little concerned that he was still a little young, but if he was ready, then he was ready.

He grasped onto my fingers and we made our way over to you.

“Da-da,” Pat said looking at you.

I smiled. I still remember Pat’s first words just weeks ago. You were getting ready to go see the team doctor and a group of specialists at UPMC. Having placed a Penguins hat low over your brow, you kissed both Pat and me goodbye.

Pat surprised us all by grasping the visor of the hat and tugging on it, saying, “Hat. Hat. Hat.”

Now that he had started, he was always forming new words.

“Hey, buddy,” you smiled. No matter what your mood was, Pat always managed to put a smile on your face. “How’s it going?”

“He’s still trying to walk,” I said as you lifted Pat into your arms and pulled me into your side.

“He’s determined, that’s for sure,” you said before kissing Pat’s nose and my head.

“Pat’s a Crosby,” I laughed. “Of course he’s determined.”

We slowly made our way to the end of the tunnel to watch warm-ups. I could feel your muscles tense up beneath the fabric of your suit and I saw your eyes dart around, following different players. I knew you wouldn’t relax until the game was over.

You set Pat down on his butt and he rested on your feet, watching his surroundings. I’m sure it was all a bit confusing. I mean thousands of screaming fans and plenty of noise from the players was probably a bit overwhelming. But what he did next overwhelmed us all.

Pat grasped your legs and pulled himself up so that he was on his feet. We stood there, gaping at him. He had stood up on his own plenty of times before, but never so quickly. And then all of a sudden, he took a step. And then another. And then another. He began to wobble, and soon, he toppled over.

“Oh my God,” I breathed out as you picked him back up to set him on his feet again.

“Did he?” you asked.

“Yup,” I nodded. “His first steps were towards the ice.”

“Well he is a Crosby,” you chuckled before kissing me.

The team must have seen the whole thing because before we knew it, they were crowding the tunnel to congratulate Pat.

“We’ll have him on skates tomorrow!” TK laughed.

“Way to go, bud!” James said ruffling Pat’s curls.

“I’m so proud!” Kris fake-cried. “Janine! Look at our god-son! He’s grown up so fast!”

Janine laughed and shook her head. “Get out on the ice, you guys. Win the game for Pat’s first steps.”

Sometimes, I really love those guys.

Love You Always,
Rory
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, adorable. And for those of you that might be thinking Pat's maturation might be a little odd, I'll break it down for ya. I used some personal experiences for this. I myself started walking one week before my first birthday (as my mother LOVES to tell the story) and my brother started talking about a week after his first birthday (that story isn't told as much, although his first word was hat.) So yeah, I think it works okay. Oh, and btw, if any of you have any questions about the swimming terms used at the beginning, I'd be happy to answer your questions! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!