Asper

Prologue

Prologue

Asper Crane was born into a world beyond comparison. A world torn by war and demented rulers. The mysterious people of Rivendell did their best to stay hidden from the menacing and vastly feared eye of Ki’Machi, the overlord of Uskberun, the country in which they lived.
No one in Rivendell was ever bothered by the people of the cities, for few knew that anyone actually inhabited a dangerous place such as Backbone peak. Backbone peak was the highest summit in all of Uskberun. Backbone peak was a feat many had attempted to accomplish and failed, leaving souvenirs of their journey along the way.
About a century ago, twelve mages, The High Mages of Uskberun, made their way to Backbone peak. There they began a new civilization, of mages, mages that they hoped, one day, would end the tiresome rule of Ki’Machi.
Ryldom, the eldest of the High Mages began to fear their plan would never be accomplished, as life grew harder for the folks on Backbone Peak, more pleasantly renamed Rivendell. It was becoming increasingly difficult to find willing peoples to travel up the perilous mountain to deliver much needed supplies. The high mages feared a famine.
They discussed for hours in their temple, their followers outside awaiting the hearing. When all of a sudden, just as Ryldom was about to speak, Ingtia Crane shoved her way to the door of the temple. “High Mage, Master Ryldom. My mother’s in labor, my father is hunting. We need your assistance. “She pleaded.
Ryldom asked the people of Rivendell, commonly referred to as Tyriners, if they would wait a bit longer to hear of their land. Ingtia bowed before the great Ryldom and guided him through the labyrinth of small huts, made of ox hide and the stern branches of the local trees. She jumped gracefully over a roaring campfire, and pushed back the curtain to a small hut, going inside.
Ryldom followed, and helped with the baby’s delivery. When she was out he held her high above his head. Chanting in the language of the ancients. “Darkur Lo Ici!” “Hope is here.”
Ingtia’s mother smiled fatigued and fragile. “What do you mean Great Mage?”
“The mark of the mages, the ancient mages, and this child was born with it.” Ryldom handed the baby girl to her mother. “She will save us. In due time.”
“Asper.” Her mother whispered. “It means savior.” Her mother ran her fingers over the twirled lines marked on Asper’s back, the mark of the mages. Thus Rivendell had hope, for Rivendell had Asper.
♠ ♠ ♠
i really think it's interesting. I'd like other opinions.