Asper

Confrontation

I awoke in a daze as usual, my mind replaying the awful moments of the fight a few days ago. My mother's corpse growing cold in the arms of my kind sister, who was now alone out there. I remembered my new mission.
Change Rivendell.
I knew the task was demanding, that the mages had been in their ways for decades, that the peasants to them were just peasants, they didnt seem necessary for us in the sanctuary we lived in. I stood and threw on my wolves cloak, strapped on my boots and pressed through the door. Oldut was scrubbing at the floor, she peered up when my door opened.
"Miss Asper a brave one you've proven to me, thank you."
"Oldut, where is Ryldom?"
"Master Ryldom i believe is in Master Veset's room, caring after his wound. Do you require assistance miss?"
"No, no thats quite alright Oldut, thank you."
I pressed on, carefully watching my footing on the freshly scrubbed wood floors. The corridors were dark as the candles in their cubbies were unlit, symbolizing loss. Whenever something was lost the lights went out to mourn. Sadness is not an emotion that is welcome in the temple. Nor is fear or love.
The cold air brushed against my face as i descended the muggy stairs, alchemic symbols and pentagrams marked each stair. Each glew a different colour, some multiple colours. Shadows flickered against the wall, cast by a dancing flame beyond the door to Veset's room.
His door was locked, his doorknob cold to the touch and baring a pentagram radiating gold. I huffed and hugged myself as ice spread through my veins. It was always cold here.
I balled my hand and thudded along the door. The floor creaked and the doorknob jiggled.
Ryldom pressed through closing the door behind him.
"Miss Asper."
"Ryldom."
"Do you wish to speak with Master Veset?"
"I'll do so later, i wish to speak with you."
Ryldom's hood was drawn back revealing his ageless face. His blue eyes glew like crystals and his bare head was scarred with ancient symbols.
"What's bothersome Miss Asper? I don't think training is appropriate today. I'll be caring for Master Veset all day."
"Veset has parents. Who master in healing. Ryldom, why didn't you ever let my family see me?"
He swallowed, a lump trailing down his slim throat.
"Family is a distraction, and the purpose which you serve requires full attention Miss Asper, We need you and we can't have you caught up in family ties. I thought you understood this." He looked up at the ceiling, just inches above his head.
"Ryldom, my mother is dead."
"I know."
♠ ♠ ♠
Opinions???