Status: In Progress

Where We Want to Be

Last Straw

“You’re a filthy whore”

“Good for nothing slut”

“You’re pathetic and a sorry excuse”

“You have no talent”

“You were a disgrace to your parents”

That was a last straw, Greg had always insulted me and I had been willing to look past it but when he brought up my parents’ that was the last straw, “Shut up.”

“Excuse me? Did you just tell me to shut up?”He seethed stepping closer to, his hand raised.

Cringing I backed away as he violently slapped me until the side of my face was numb. Sliding to the floor I couldn’t hold back the tears as he just laughed, “You’re a sorry excuse for a cunt” he spat leaving the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

I fought with my mind, I could leave; that was always an option but Greg had been there for me when I had no one else and I couldn’t just leave him, he didn’t have anyone else.

I always told myself that I would never be in an abusive relationship; but here I was twenty years old in a two year long relationship with Greg, where he constantly hit me and verbally abused me.

Sighing I grabbed my cell phone, waiting for someone to answer the phone before Greg came back, “Hello?”

“Lucy?” I murmured softly.

“Yes, Lilah? Lilah is that you?” Lucy asked quickly.

“Lucy” I sobbed, “Can I come home?”

She sighed in relief, “Yes of course, where are you? I’ll go get you”

“Manhattan” I told her softly.

“Jesus Lilah, what the hell are you doing in New York? Have you been there all this time?” she asked worried.

“I’m sorry Luce, I really am” I murmured

“It’s okay Lilah, what’s important is that you’re coming home alright?” she assured me, “You go pack and get everything settled, and I’ll book you a flight from JFK to Heathrow.”

Lucy assure me that everything was going to be alright and that she’d be waiting for me at the airport in London when I landed, I didn’t have the heart to tell her that I had been living with Greg, or that he hit me.

Part of me still felt guilty for leaving Greg to fend for himself, he didn’t know how to live on his own; and his life would go down the drain. But maybe that’s what he deserved, to get his own karma.

I packed all of my things which weren’t much to begin with; a suitcase of clothes was all I had.
Looking around I found Greg’s wallet, smirking I took what money I would need for the cab
fare. The bastard could at least pay for that.

Looking around the apartment I realized that this could be a good opportunity for me, a new start. Finding a taxi wasn’t the hard thing, it was getting into it and out of it, I did this now I could never go back to Greg.

Picking up the boarding pass from the front counter I shook my head seeing that Lucy had booked me a first class ticket, I boarded quickly knowing the faster I got on the plane the less of a chance I would have to get off the plane and go back to Greg.

I kept my head down as I found my seat and got comfortable, I thanked god I had been given a window seat as stuck headphones in my ears waiting for the flight to start.

The flight was long, but sleeping through most of it I was shaken away by a flight stewardess as she let me know we had just landed and it was time for us to disembark.

Lucy’s bright blonde hair similar to mine stood out at the gate and I couldn’t help but notice
the grin she had plastered on her face and the cute little toddler holding her hand.

I pulled her into a hug the second she was within reach distance, I felt like I could finally breathe again knowing I was far away from Greg and he couldn’t hurt me anymore.

Looking down I grinned seeing her daughter Sabrina, I hadn’t seen her since I left and I doubted she even remembered who I was, kneeling down I smiled at her, “Hi Sabrina, remember me? I’m your aunty Lilah. Can I get a hug?”

She flashed me a smile as she wrapped her arms around my neck and squeezed softly, “you’re mommy’s sister” she giggled.

Laughing I stood up with her in my arms and looked at Lucy, “Lucy, she’s adorable.”

She just nodded returning the smile, “Let’s get home, we can talk about this there”

I continued to carry Sabrina with me as I followed Lucy out to the car parked in the front, handing her over as so she could put her into her car seat.

“So long time no see. What brought this on?” Lucy asked keeping her gaze on the road.

“I just needed a change of scenery” I mumbled softly.

She sighed looking at me at a red light, “I’m your sister Lilah. You can tell me what happened.”

Breathing I nodded, “And that’s what happened, I needed a change of scenery. I was homesick.”

She wasn’t buying it, anyone could tell but I wasn’t about to tell her that I had been with the same guy for two years who abused me and living in the most rundown apartment in New York City. I wouldn’t be able to live with the shame she would see in me.

The rest of the car ride was silent until she parked outside a decent apartment building, “Ed, this is my sister Lilah. She’ll be staying with Mark and I for the time being. Lilah, this is Ed the doorman, if you need anything just ask him” she showed me around the lobby before we
headed into the elevator and onto the fourth floor.

“Hi Mark” I smiled hugging Lucy’s husband before setting my luggage down, “I hope you don’t mind me crashing here for a few days.”

He shook his head, “Don’t worry about it, you’re family. You can stay here as long as you want” he assured me.

“No” I protested kindly, “Really, I’ll be here a few days and be out of your hair.”

Lucy chuckled, “Lilah stop it. We don’t mind helping you out until you can get on your feet again.”

Nodding I thanked them, “Uh, could you show me where I’m staying? Jet lag is hitting me.”

“Yeah, of course; your room is upstairs next to Sabrina’s” she informed as she made her way up the stairs.