Status: Moment by moment

Obedience

Fear

When Toni woke up, the first thing she noticed was that she felt... different. Then she noticed the restraints that held her to the bed and the fact that she was in the infirmary. Again. She heard voices somewhere in the room so she stayed quiet and pretended to be asleep.

"Are the restraints really necessary?" Her father. He sounded angry. And worried. What had happened?

"Until we know she's not a threat-"

"She's not a threat," Tony hissed, "she's my daughter."

Toni could practically feel the look Fury was giving her father. "Look at her. We don't know what the Tesseract did to her, and until we do, she is to be treated like any other unknown threat."

She could feel her father's anger, but he didn't say anything else. Fury said to look at her- what did that mean? Did she look different? She remembered pulling the Tesseract out, but it couldn't have done that much. Could it?

Toni opened her eyes and looked over at Fury. "What's going on?" Her voice wasn't hoarse anymore. Had she been unconscious long enough for her throat to heal? The grim look on Fury's face said no.

Tony nearly ran across the room to her bed, fluffing pillows and fixing blankets. Most people would find his behavior strange, but he'd always been like this with his daughter. Just usually not in public. "Are you comfortable? Is there anything I can get you? Food? Water? A physics book?"

Fury looked at him strangely, but Toni just smiled, remembering when her father would read her physics books before bed instead of fairy tales. "I just want to know what's going on," she said softly.

A slightly pained expression crossed Tony's face. "We don't know."

Toni knew he hated not knowing things just as much as she did. "Do I look different?"

Tony's mouth twitched, a small smile making it's way out, but instead of replying, he grabbed the mirror that was on the bedside table and held it up so she could see.

Instead of her dark brown hair, all she saw was blue. Tesseract blue, to be more specific, and her eyes were the same color as her hair, the irises nearly glowing. Her skin, which had always been tan like her father's, was now pale, nearly transparent white with a slight blue tint, making her look very cold (her blue-ish lips adding to the effect) when in fact she was very warm. "What the hell?" Were the first words out of her mouth.

"You should see your blood; it's the same blue as the Tesseract," her father smirked.

Toni huffed out a laugh and Fury had a distinct, "I am not amused," look on his face.

"Anything else I should know about? Wings, horns, odd power device sticking out of my chest?"

Tony snorted. "What you see is what you get, at least appearance-wise. We don't know what else the Tesseract did to your internal organs or brain function."

Toni grimaced. "That means tests. Extensive tests."

Her father shrugged sheepishly.

"Actually, you will be going to Asgard with Thor and Loki."

Tony turned to look at Fury. "I'm sorry, what?"

"Dad, I got this," Toni whispered, then she looked at Fury. "I'm sorry, what?"

"They know more about the Tesseract than we could ever hope to understand. Going there is your best option."

Toni sighed and covered her face with her hands. "When do we leave?" When there was no response, she looked up at the two shocked men in front of her. "What?" Tony pointed at the restraints that had been around her wrists but were now lying uselessly on the bed. "Uh... did I do that?" She asked fearfully. Fury and Tony just nodded silently.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would seriously love some comments right now. I haven't gotten any feedback on the past few chapters and it's making me nervous. -fidget-