Pieces of Me

Piece One

Tears were falling from his eyes profusely. How could something like this happen to him? Dark eyes gazed through the small window upon the heavy door. She lay there, doctors scurrying around her, an oxygen mask on her face, blood in her hair. It all happened so suddenly, but why did it have to happen to him? Gritting his teeth, he kicked the wall and fell into one of the chairs lining the hall. Lithe fingers tugged harshly at curled locks of hair as he rest his forehead in his palms. Tears fell through closed eyes, small sobs escaping between his teeth as he sat there in his grief; his girlfriend just in the other room.

“Sir, I think you should go home. We will have to keep her here and no one will be permitted to see her until further notice.” The sympathy in her voice did nothing to ease his pain.

“I can’t just leave her…” A sigh passed through his nose as he stood up, tear-swollen eyes finding their way back to the door.

“We’ll call you if she gets better—or worse…” The young nurse tried to assure him some way.

His head tilted back, eyes gazing at the white ceiling before closing, a couple more tears falling from the corners of his eyes. The last thing he wanted was to be informed of her condition worsening. Taking a deep breath in through his nose, the lanky bassist let his head drop. Without bothering to reply to the nurse’s statement, he silently made his way outside.

Resting his forehead to the hot metal of the top of his car, Toshiya kicked the tire and let a few more tears escape his deep brown eyes while his hand slowly worked the lock on the car door. The bassist’s slender body slid into the driver’s seat; sitting there for a moment with his door left open and one leg outside of the car.

Deep inside, Toshiya knew this was all his fault. A low growl vibrated his throat as his head connected roughly to the steering wheel. Somehow, Toshiya couldn’t stop his tears from falling. This mess, the reason why she was injured, it was all caused by him. How could one man be so stupid? The bassist’s slender fingers curled into a fist and pounded the steering wheel once in anguish. He sat there like that for a few moments more.

The tear stricken man sat up straight, finally pulling his leg into the car and ignited the engine before he shut the door. Toshiya’s swollen eyes lingered on the tall building for a few moments while the air conditioner cooled his heated face. A strong pain tore his heart in two; he wanted to be there with her. Toshiya wanted to endure the pain with her, to ease her suffering, to make sure she would be all right. He couldn’t just go home without knowing if she wasn’t going to be okay.

The bassist’s head hung, a couple of tears catching in his curly ebony hair. Sitting straight once more with another sigh, Toshiya began to make his journey home. Along the way, he couldn’t keep his eyes from darting to the seat she usually sat; the passenger seat. A couple of her items even remained there: her favorite writing pen and one of her many poem booklets. His jaw locked as he pulled his gaze back to the road.

Toshiya knew that life from this moment was not going to get any easier. He wouldn’t be able to sleep; he wouldn’t be able to concentrate. He’d be too worried to keep his focus. Toshiya shook his head, eyes burning from the constant tear shed. Would it have been better if he hadn’t said anything to her that morning?