Status: This isn't hardcore gay porn, if you're looking for that, but it's not fluff either. Have fun~

No. 14

The beginning.

“... Found on the streets....”

“... Unconscious...”

“... Almost dead...”

“... Fire...”

“Two survivors.”

I opened my eyes and squinted them back shut. The glaring lights could only be a hospital. I opened my eyes again. My side felt like it was being sliced open. The pain spread through me like fire. A doctor and more doctors stood over me. One was covered in blood. He held a scalpel.

“Nurse, I thought you administered anesthetic!”

“I did, Doctor!”

I tried to sit up, but the pain blasted through my head. The blue paper over me did nothing to cut the cold. I turned my head toward the source of the pain and looked down. Blood. All I could see was blood. I looked up at the man with the scalpel. He was covered in my blood.

“Now, son, let me tell you what's happening,” he said. He raised his hands in defense and dropped the scalpel to the ground. “Nurse, call special defense,” he said.

Someone behind him rustled and started speaking in a code that was only used in the Institute. I raised myself up on one elbow.

“I'm at the institute, aren't I?” I asked. I didn't really need an answer. I forced myself to sit up the rest of the way. My side was on fire and the rest of me was protesting. My eyelids threatened to close and my brain told me to shut up and sleep. I fought against their sleep gases and got off of the surgery table. I wrapped the blue paper around me and stumbled to the door. The doctor and the rest of his lackeys backed away from me.

“Nurse!” the doctor yelled.

“I'm trying! No one's answering!”

Suddenly, the surgery room door burst open. Fire-kid stood in the doorway swinging a cord around. “Matty!” he screeched. A couple of the doctor's lackeys rushed to him, probably to get him down. Fire-kid used the cord as a whip on them like an expert, even breaking one guy's neck. The main nurse lady slammed the phone back into its wall socket.

“Doctor, I'm going to get Special Security myself!” she yelled. The doctor noticed me, standing in the middle of the room, not moving. He picked up the scalpel and held it in front of himself. “Go, nurse!” he shouted back. I started moving again. The doctor charged at me, I fell to my knees and closed my eyes, waiting for the weight and the searing pain of metal and old blood inside me.

Instead, I heard a dull crunch and a thud.

I opened my eyes and Fire-kid was picking himself up off of the floor. The doctor laid on the floor, silent and unmoving. My stomach lurched. The rest of the bodies on the floor jumped out in my vision.

Fire-kid held his hand out to me. His eyes didn't stay in one place. He had this grin on his face, and combined with his dark hair and the fact that he was shaking made him look half-gone.

“Let's go, Matty~ Before the Special Security comes and wrecks our little party here,” he said. His voice rose to high levels and hurt my ears. I stood and started to walk toward the door. The air seemed to be wanting me to lay down and sleep. I wanted to sleep. My side flamed. All of a sudden, Fire-kid's hand was on my shoulder. He took the blue paper from me and knelt in front of me. I took a step back, but he just moved closer. He looked up into my eyes and for a second, it felt like I was back with Dakota. My heart lurched. Dakota was amazing. He was my everything and my all.

But the institute took him away from me.

Fire-kid was exactly like Dakota to me. Until he spoke.

“Matty, how the hell do you expect me to cover up your manhood if you keep moving? Stay still, so I can do this and then we can leave,” he said. His voice was smooth, no trace of hysteria anywhere inside. But it was deeper, rougher than Dakota's.

Fire-kid wrapped the paper around my waist a couple times and then tied the cord around it to keep it up. “Now run, Matty! Run, dammit!” he shouted. I didn't need to be told twice. The Special Security ran through a door on the far side of the room. Fire-kid ran ahead of me, dodging Institute personnel, and other poor kids. Fire-kid and I ran down some stairs, then through a service hallway and out into the parking structure.“I got him! He's back!!” Fire-kid yelled. A white van sat near the far wall of the parking structure. The side door opened and a blonde boy sat inside. Fire-kid launched himself inside just as gunshots sounded. My side and then my arm burned hotter. I jumped into the van and then the driver of the van took off before the blonde boy could even shut the door properly.

I laid on the floor and while Fire-kid was animatedly telling the rest of the van's occupants about our adventure, I closed my eyes and thought about things. Things like Dakota, and what a normal life looked like.

I didn't wake up until I felt someone prodding my arm.