Status: VERY slow updates because school has taken over my life...But don't worry, I'm still working on this! :)

Just A Hockey Player

Chapter Eleven

Ryan slept in the next morning, knowing that they had the day off. Around noon she finally dragged herself out of bed and into some clothes before walking into the living room to find Step sitting on the couch, watching TV.

“Giants?” he asked as Ryan threw herself onto the couch.

“For as long as I can remember,” she mumbled sleepily.

“What about baseball?”

“Mets,” Ryan was not enthused.

“Basketball?”

“Don’t watch it. Although I guess I’d have to say Knicks now, won’t I?”

“I do,” said Step with a smile. “Anything else? NSACAR?”

“Jimmie Johnson.”

“You’re kidding! Aren’t you from Rochester?”

“So?”

“So, isn’t NASCAR a redneck sport?”

“Hey!” That got Ryan’s attention. “It is not! Watkins Glen’s like three hours from Buffalo. And do you know where NASCAR headquarters are? New York!” Ryan could tell from Step’s face that he was a little surprised by her ready and spirited defense of NASCAR. She wondered how he would react if he knew what other sports she watched. The first few lines of ‘Paradise' by Coldplay screeched from Ryan’s cell phone on the kitchen counter.

“Can you get that for me?” she begged Step.

“Just because you scored a goal,” he said as he lifted himself off the couch.

“I knew there was a reason I liked you,” Ryan said, sending a grateful smile in Step’s direction. Despite the playful banter between her and Step, Ryan really wasn’t interested in talking to anyone this early in the morning. She planned on hitting the ignore button, until Step handed her the phone and she realized it was her mom. If there was one thing Stacy Davis had drilled into her daughter’s head, it was to always answer phone calls from your mother. Ryan had a feeling this hadn’t changed, despite the fact she was a professional hockey player, living in the greatest city in the world.

“Hey, Mom,” Ryan managed to sound a little more awake. “Did you watch the game?”

“Of course I did, honey,” Stacy’s voice squeaked excitedly. “I’m so proud of you honey.”

“Thanks, mom.” Even though Ryan had been reluctant to answer the call, she was glad she did. She hadn’t realized how much she missed her mom.

“Oh, one thing, honey,” Stacy started. “I would appreciate it if you didn’t get into any more brawls.”

“It wasn’t a brawl, Mom,” Ryan sighed. No matter how much time she spent around the game of hockey, Stacy still thought it was barbaric, and hated that her daughter’s short temper resulted in frequent altercations. Not because Ryan was a girl, but because she was Stacy’s baby. “It was just a fight. No biggie.”

“It is to a biggie!” Ryan laughed at her mother’s ridiculous statement, but Stacy plowed on. “You were bleeding! I saw! I honestly don’t know why you get it fights…”

“You hear what they said to me! As a matter of fact, that guy I fought, he said-“

“Ryan Taylor Davis, I have no interest in your trash talking!” Ryan laughed again at her mother and Stacy had to join in.

“Did you call for any reason? Or did you just want to heckle me about my profession?” Ryan said, keeping the conversation light.

“Actually, I wanted to ask you, is Brad Richards single?”

That woke Ryan up. “Eww, Mom, I don’t know. Why does it matter?”

“Well, you know he is quite attractive, and I saw this magazine ESPN did-“

“No! Stop! I can’t take this!” Ryan nearly screamed. Step, who had reseated himself on the couch, had figured out the vein of conversation and was in hysterics. “He’s too young for you.”

“No, he is not,” Stacy huffed. “I could be a…what do you call it…a panther?”

“A cougar!” Step nearly fell off the couch. Ryan put her head in her hands.

“Oh yeah. That’s what I meant.” She could almost see her mother rolling her eyes. “ And Henrik Lundqvist! Amazing!”

“Mom, stop. He’s married and his wife’s about to have a baby.” At that, Step did fall off the couch. Ryan though ahead to next week, to the lunch Hank and
Therese, his wife, had invited the team to before the first home game of the season. Now all she would be able to think about at that lunch was how hot her mom thought Hank was. Gross.

“Okay, okay,” Stacy finally relented. “But who was that boy you said you lived with?”

“Oh. Derek. Yeah, he’s right here.”

“Hi, Ryan’s mom!” Step yelled in between attacks of laughter.

“He’s a nice boy? Is everyone being nice to you? How’s your knee?” Stacy bombarded Ryan with questions. Hot hockey players aside, she was worried about her daughter. If it were up to Stacy, Ryan would be in college, preferably, one close to Buffalo. The last thing she wanted was for her young daughter to be on her own in New York City, being constantly surrounded by attractive young men, notorious for partying and their avoidance of steady relationships. But Stacy knew how much Ryan loved the game and how unhappy she would be if she knew she didn’t try her hardest to play professionally. Besides, Stacy tried to console herself, college would always be there when Ryan was done with hockey.

“Yes, yes, and fine,” Ryan answered each question. Stacy could tell her daughter was done with this conversation. Trying to ask more questions was only going to get her angry.

“I love you, honey. Be safe.”

“Love you too, Mom. Bye.” Ryan hung up.

“That was an interesting conversation…” Step observed, still lying on the floor, looking up at Ryan seated on the couch.

“She’s a lunatic, I swear to god. I really didn’t need to hear that,” Ryan sighed. She decided to push the conversation out of her mind and go find some breakfast, only to realize she hadn’t gone grocery shopping. She was cursing Bick under her breath when there was a knock at the door.

“Unless you have food, go away!” Ryan shouted.

“C’mon, Ryan,” Tessa’s lyrical voice floated into the room, muffled by the door. Ryan opened the door the see a wide awake, fully dressed Tessa, with a smile on her face and a cup of coffee in her perfectly manicured hand.

“I’m only letting you in because the guys might maul you if they hear you,” Ryan said. “You can thank me for saving you by getting me some food.”

“Who said I wanted to be saved?” asked Tessa with a wink. “If you ask me, it would be just fine if-“

“No, not you too,” Ryan groaned, taking advantage of the empty couch and laying down. “Why does everyone think hockey players are so amazing?”

“Because we are,” said Step from the floor in between the couch and the coffee table. “Hi, Tessa,” he added putting his hand straight up in the air and waving.

“Hello Derek,” Tessa said. “Why are you on the floor? Actually I don’t care.” Step pouted until Ryan threw a pillow at him. “What I really want to know is why you are still in you pajamas, Ryan? Because if that is what you plan on wearing today, we have an issue.”

“Leave me alone, Tess.” Ryan was reaffirming her thoughts she definitely was not a morning person.

“That’s it. I can’t take it anymore,” said Tessa, pulling Ryan off the couch, both of them almost trampling Step. “You need to wear something that isn’t related to a sports team. We’re going shopping. Bye Derek.”

“Why did I get out of bed?” Ryan asked. Instead of answering, Tessa yanked Ryan towards the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Just some funny stuff. At least, I hope you guys think it is. I was giggling to myself the whole time I wrote it :) Thanks for reading!