Status: VERY slow updates because school has taken over my life...But don't worry, I'm still working on this! :)

Just A Hockey Player

Chapter Fifteen

Ryan and the guys from the so called ‘American building’ walked to Penn Station together. When they boarded the train, Ryan was a little disappointed to see that her assigned seat was next to Mac and not Step, who was seated next to Bick across the aisle.

“Great,” Ryan groaned. “Not only do I not get a window seat, but I have to sit next to Mac!”

“Hey, aisle seats aren’t that bad,” said Step, dodging an empty water bottle thrown by Mac.

“Besides, at least I got the other aisle seat so you don’t have to sit next to this oaf.” Step indicated Bick, who had already fallen asleep, his head leaning against the window.

“Man’s gotta find a way to get his beauty sleep,” said Ryan with a wink, letting Mac slide past her into his seat. “Guess that means you should start counting those sheep, huh?”

“Oh, you got me!” joked Step, putting his hand to his chest, feigning injury. Ryan just shook her head at his antics and put in her earphones. She hated traveling for away games. The trip always seemed to last forever, especially before big games. There was almost no way to escape the anxiety that naturally occurred before a game. After listening to a couple of songs by The Wanted, Ryan glanced over to see Step fast asleep, head back, mouth slightly open. She laughed softly to herself at how ridiculous he looked. It was hard to believe that in a few hours, Step would transform from goofy guy to a seriously focused and talented hockey player, and one of the better ones in the league. All of a sudden, Ryan felt privileged to know the real Step, not just the Derek Stepan that everyone else knew. She started when Mac tapped her on the shoulder.

“This is just like Twilight,” he said.

“How?” asked Ryan cautiously. She didn’t know where this was going, but she could see the mischievous glint in Mac’s eyes.

“Well, doesn’t that really old vampire dude climb through that twitchy girl’s window and watch her sleep at night before they realize that they’re soul mates or something? Except you’re like the dude and Step is the chick.”

“So, you’re trying to tell me that I’m a pedophile and Step is a teenage girl with no friends who flinches a lot? Real accurate.”

“You know what I mean,” groaned Mac. “Staring at people while they sleep is a sign of love.”

“Oh no,” said Ryan. “I know where this is going.”

“And so do I. You two are perfect for each other but are too stupid to do anything about it. It’s practically a movie. And I’m the good looking best friend who finally pushes you together. But I wanna speed it up, so I’m pushing a little earlier than the script said.”

“Isn’t the best friend usually gay?”

“Not the point! I’m not gonna be able to take it the entire season if I have to be constantly exposed to the romantic tension! It could affect my playing,” Mac finished seriously.

“That’s exactly the reason it won’t happen. I need to focus on hockey, you know that. I’m gonna have my hands full dodging cheap shots and trying not to get my ass shipped back to Connecticut. I don’t need to add any other obstacles. We’re teammates, nothing else. This has been my dream for ever, and I’m not gonna let some god damn guy ruin it, not matter who he is,” Said Ryan, with a note of finality. “Step never hears about this conversation or, God help me, you’re playing will really be affected.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long wait and thanks so much for sticking with this story! I know the title is kinda stupid, but I was too lazy to think of one when I first posted the story. So, I was thinking of changing it to Just a Hockey Player...what do you guys think? Any other title suggestions? As always, thanks so much for reading! :)