Status: VERY slow updates because school has taken over my life...But don't worry, I'm still working on this! :)

Just A Hockey Player

Chapter Five

Ryan, on crutches, left the training center with the guys three hours later. Her knee was only bruised and Ryan was lucky the cheap shot didn’t seriously injure her knee and end her season. Still, she would miss about two weeks of training camp. After that, there would only be two days before the pre-season games started. After five pre-season games, there would be cuts, and then the home opener.

As far as a concussion went, the trainer said she passed the baseline tests, but they would monitor it closely.

The crutches slowed Ryan down, and soon Kreids, Boyler, Mac, and Bick were far ahead. Step had stayed behind with Ryan, much to her delight. They weren’t saying much, until they reached the elevator in the apartment building.

“You really scared us, Ry,” Step started the conversation. Ryan had been noticing that he didn’t call her Davey like the other guys.

“Yeah. I scared myself too.”

“I’m being serious,” he tried to keep a straight face, but smiled anyway.

After they had both showered and were watching NHL Network, it was Ryan’s turn to be serious.

“Derek?” she asked. He muted the TV. She had used his first name, so he knew it was serious.

“Yeah, Ry?”

“What if I can’t do it?” Derek knew she was talking about playing hockey.

“If anyone can do it, you can.”

She laughed. “You’re probably the first person who’s said that to me.” Ryan’s smile faded, and she sighed. “All I hear is how no one thinks I can do it. They all say she’s not strong enough, she can’t handle it. Now, after hearing it so many time, I wonder if they’re right.”

It seemed like she was going to say more, but Step cut her off. “You can’t listen to what they say. They don’t even know you. The guys think you can do it. I think you can do it. So why can’t you?” He turned to give Ryan his goofy smile. “Plus, you'd miss me and the guys too much.”

“Thanks, Step,” said Ryan through a giggle. He unmuted the TV, and the sound of the anchor’s voice filled the air.

“Today was the first day of contact in training camp for the New York Rangers, and it wasn’t a quiet one,” the shrill voice began. “Controversial first round draft pick Ryan Davis suffered a lower body injury and was seen leaving the practice facility on crutches. The severity of the injury is unknown, as is how much time Davis will miss. Also, veteran AHL-er Mike Vernace has been released from his professional try-out agreement.”

“New travels fast around here, huh?” asked Ryan, earning a chuckle from Step.

“You have no idea,” said Mac from the doorway. He entered the living room, followed by Bick.

“You know, you guys never knock,” remarked Ryan, remembering her observation from her first day, which seemed so much longer than a week and a half ago.

“What do you guys want for dinner?” asked Bick. Ryan wasn’t surprised by the lack of response she received. When the guys were hungry, they didn’t think about anything but food.

“Subway?” suggested Mac.

“No, that’s too expensive,” said Bick.

Mac raised his eyebrows. “Bick, I don’t know if anyone told you, but you’re a hockey player. Maybe not a very good one, but you do get paid pretty well. I think you can spare some money for Subway.”

“I don’t care how much money I have, I’m not paying that much money for a crappy sandwich I could make yourself,” Bick’s tone revealed he wasn’t changing his mind.

“How about McDonald’s?” asked Step.

“I’m not hobbling all the way to McDonald’s,” said Ryan, glancing at the pair of crutches leaning against the coffee table.

“C’mon, Davey,” groaned Mac. “It won’t be that bad, it’s only, like, five blocks.”

“More like ten,” retorted Ryan. “And how about you try using those things, I bet you wouldn’t make it halfway there. You guys can go without me, I’ll just find something to eat here.”

“We’ll just bring you something back, Ry,” suggested Step. “I don’t think there’s anything in here anyway. Bick cleaned us out yesterday.”

“I was hungry,” murmured Bick.

“You always are,” said an exasperated Ryan. “You’re going to have to pitch in for groceries soon.”

The guys walked out of the apartment as Mac yelled “See you later!” before shutting the door. But not for long.

“Step! Come back!” called Ryan. He poked his head in the door, and Ryan held up the set of keys he had left on the table, not even looking away from the TV.

“How did you function without me?” asked Ryan, trying to hide her smile.

“I didn’t,” answered Step as he shut the door. Ryan didn’t have to turn around to know that Step had his usual goofy smile on his face.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kind of a filler chapter, but I wanted to show how Ryan and the guys interacted. Thanks everyone for reading and commenting! :)