Status: VERY slow updates because school has taken over my life...But don't worry, I'm still working on this! :)

Just A Hockey Player

Chapter Seven

“So…” began Tessa as she granted a cute waiter a flirtatious wink. Ryan sighed. It hadn’t taken Tessa long to overcome the shock of meeting a significant portion of the New York Rangers.

“So what?” Ryan asked with a sinking feeling. The two old friends had enjoyed lunch, catching up on time lost. Ryan had learned that Tessa had landed a job with MSG, the network that covered the Rangers, as a stat girl, assisting the announcers in the booth. Tessa was filled in on Ryan’s most recent exploits with the guys.

“So what!’ Ryan jumped at Tessa’s increased volume. “You live in an apartment building with five chiseled hockey players. You have regular contact with fifteen more. And not once during this entire lunch did we discuss anything about them, apart from who skates the fastest, and who has a great shot, and who made a good saucer pass in practice. Normal girls would be talking about who has the best hair, abs, and whatever!”

“Well, normal girls don’t play for the New York Rangers. Guess I’m not normal.”

“You’re avoiding the subject,” replied Tessa with narrowed eyes.

“What do you want to talk about then?” Ryan knew when she was beat. “But I’m not talking about who’s the hottest or has the best hair.” Tessa didn’t look as excited as she had a moment ago.

“What’s going on with you and Derek?” Tessa asked with a smirk.

“Nothing.” Ryan replied quickly. She was forced to elaborate after a glare from Tessa. “We’re just friends, you know?”

“Well that’s not going to last…” murmured Tessa under her breath. She quickly changed the subject. “Does Stu have a girlfriend? Or does he like to, you know, go partying and stuff?”

“Bick?” Ryan snorted. “The only think that lump is concerned with is avoiding Torts and stealing my food.” She laughed. “And he hasn’t gone out since I got here. I think he hibernates between meals and practices.” Tessa grinned at her friend’s assessment of the large defenseman.

“That reminds me,” continued Ryan. “Anyone on the team is off limits.” Tessa’s smile quickly faded. “And so is anyone on another team, if you value my friendship.”

“Aww, c’mon Ryan,” groaned Tessa. “Let me have a little fun.”

“Absolutely not. I know how it goes. Some guy falls for you, starts following me around, asking me for advice. Then, you go out with him for about a week. Finally, you get bored and find another guy, and I’m left with a grumpy hockey player in a slump. Not fun.”

Tessa’s eyes lit up as she spotted a loop hole. “But you wouldn’t you want players from other teams to be in a slump?”

“Knowing my luck, you’d start dating someone like Ilya Kovalchuk and be together forever. Then, I’d have to disown by best friend because she was with a Devil.”
“Ew,” cringed Tessa. “You know I don’t date Russians.Or Devils.”

Ryan shook her head in disbelief. “Let’s go. They guys are probably running around like chickens without heads. I don’t know how they were able to function without me constantly reminding them to do laundry or buy food.”
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is short, but the next one is going to be awesome! Thanks for reading :)