Status: Just the beginning...

No Idea

Four

"So that Brandon boy, huh?" Kara said suggestively as she pulled into Rachel's driveway after their long breakfast.

"What about him?" Rachel raised her brow as she looked over at Kara suspiciously. Her best friend's tone of voice hinted that she knew something the brunette didn't.

"Oh you already know what I am going to say!" Kara exclaimed. "He was totally into you, Rach." She looked towards her best friend with a knowing gaze as Rachel shook her head to say no. "Don't try to deny it. Not only was he watching you all night at the party, but he gave you so much extra whipped cream on your French Toast for FREE! It was a dead giveaway."

Rachel laughed, "Okay, first of all, that is really creepy. Secondly, you wouldn't know if he was watching me all night because you were too busy with Rian to notice anything else last night."

"Don't try to change the subject back to me and Rian!" Kara rolled her eyes, "I noticed Brandon last night because it was painfully obvious. It was Alex Gaskarth freshman year all over again."

"And that is my cue to leave." Rachel frowned and unbuckled her seatbelt quickly. Talking about Alex and how she rejected him always made her uncomfortable, and as her best friend Kara knew this. "I'll see you tomorrow at school, Kar."

"Oh you know I was joking, Rach!" Kara shouted as Rachel shut the car door in her face. Kara promptly rolled down the window of the car door that was shut and continued yelling as Rachel walked down her driveway towards her front porch, "You need to lighten up! Love you!"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah!" Rachel yelled back at Kara trying to hide the smile forming on her lips as she opened the front door, "Suck up to me now! I see how it is! Now get out of here!" She watched and waved as her friend reversed out of the driveway and then prompt sped down the road. Once she was out of sight, a frown returned to Rachel's face. Was Kara right about Brandon? She was right about Alex... She had a lot to think about, but she decided to put it all off for another day, and to take a nap instead.

~~~


Rachel hadn't been in the school building for more than five minutes, yet she already knew everything was completely different. The walk to her locker was quieter than usual without Kara waiting at the end of the hallway shouting obscenities at her trying to get her to walk fast. In fact, Kara was nowhere to be seen.

"Rachel!" She heard someone shout from across the hall. She turned around expecting to see her best friend walking towards her, but instead was greeted by another familiar face.

"Hey Jack," Rachel smiled politely as he fell into step with her as she continued to walk down the hallway, "have you seen Kara anywhere?"

"Yeah. I have." Jack answered shortly. He stared at Rachel as she frowned while looking at him. The longer he was silent, the more furrowed in confusion her brow became. After a long silence, Jack finally cracked, "Oh! You probably want me to tell you." He guffawed loud enough for the few people in the hallway to turn and look at the pair, "She is hanging out with Rian and the rest of our crew in our usual morning spot. I'm headed there now if you want to tag along."

"Sure." Rachel agreed. She tried to sound confident in her answer, but was well aware that Jack probably saw right through her. Rachel didn't like the idea of spending her morning with Alex, and even worse, his girlfriend, but she desperately needed to talk to her best friend before class started. It was part of her daily routine, and without it, her entire day would be off. Jack led her through the maze of hallways until they finally reached their destination: the music room. "This doesn't surprise me." She mused.

"Sorry for being predictable." Jack winked at Rachel playfully as he pushed open the door. The pair were greeted by the sounds of many people shouting hello's. He ran into the room and jumped on the couch in the corner of the room. Rachel knew that was one of the many appeals that drew him and his crew to this room in the morning. She could picture him taking many naps before class on that thing.

"Rachel!" Kara beckoned towards her best friend when she finally came into view stepping out from behind Jack. Kara was sitting in Rian's lap. It was a sight that made Rachel want to laugh because it is something Kara had dreamed of for what seems like forever.

"Hey Rach." Rian smiled, resting his head on Kara's shoulder as Rachel sat down next to the couple. "I heard about Brandon."

"Brandon Reynolds?" Alex interjected, "Zack's friend?"

"The very same." Rachel replied to him without looking his direction. "Hi, Ri." She responded to Rian, smiling warmly at the boy who had won over her best friend's heart. "I don't know what Kara has told you about Brandon because there isn't anything to tell."

"That's not what I heard!" Jack sang loudly. Rachel felt her face heat up and she grabbed at the ends of her hair to distract herself. She didn't like a group of people she barely knew talking about her potential love life.

"What did you hear?" Alex asked again. There was a hint of desperation in his voice as he spoke. Rachel looked up to see Alex staring at her intently with a frown on his face.

"If the girl says there is nothing to say about Brandon, then there is nothing to say!" Lisa's shrill voice rang in Rachel's ears. She looked over and finally noticed the small blonde sitting next to Alex. She was gripping his hand so hard that her knuckles had turned white. Her perfectly manicured nails were probably close to drawing blood from Alex's hand.

"Rachel doesn't know what she is talking about and neither do you, Lisa." Kara snapped. She was completely unfazed by the girl's intensity, "Brandon totally has the hots for Rachel. And I think they would be cute. Ri, you should text Zack." She looked at Rian and pouted in an attempt to persuade him.

"Babe, I don't have to text him." Rian laughed, "Because Zack already texted me this morning saying that Brandon would not leave him alone until he got Rachel's number for him. So what do you say, Rach? Want to give Brandon your number?"

The next few moments happened too fast for Rachel to comprehend. Kara snatched Rian's phone and began to type just as Alex stood up and stormed out of the room. Rachel watched in slow motion as Lisa began to fret about Alex's sudden outburst and followed him out of the room.

"Done!" Kara squealed as the slamming of the door echoed throughout the room. "Wait... Did I just miss something?"

"I don't know what just happened." Jack said. He was probably the only one besides Rachel that was watching Alex instead of Kara, "But I probably need to go find out."
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a minute, hasn't it? My bad.

I'm a little rusty, and all of my old story idea are on a hard drive from four laptops ago. We will see how this goes.

Xo Sommer