Status: Just a little something I came up with-Enjoy :)

Ms. Daisy Sumner

1/1

“I used to be as pretty as a doll,” the aging woman says, staring into an intricate and ancient-looking hand mirror.
“Mmm-hmm?” I nod, asking her to continue.
“So beautiful. They used to tell me all the time,” she whispers, setting down the mirror.
“Who are they?” I ask as I type her words out on my laptop.
“Oh, just about everyone, I guess. Family. Friends of family. Everyone who saw me told me I was the loveliest creature they saw.”
I look around at the black and white and sepia pictures of her as a young woman. They cover practically every surface of the small living room. “I bet,” I murmur. She truly was a beauty.
“I was, as people say, discovered while at a trip to the drugstore. I got offered a modeling job. And then another. And another after that. They gave me job after job! It was so exciting. I was only 16, you know.”
I nod, “Yes, and how did that bring you into the spotlight, Ms. Sumner?”
“Oh, it’s not very interesting. My modeling job got me a little fame, so I was given small bit parts- extra work, really-on television shows. Then I was asked to be in a film. Not starring or anything. I wasn’t even given any lines. But somehow, I got called more and more, and next thing I know I was talking in front of cameras. I was asked to star in small films, then bigger films. It was all so strange and scary, but fun! By the time I was 20, people recognized me on the street. I moved to Hollywood when I was only 17. My parents were sad for me, but proud of me. I came from a small town, so they day I left, the town had this big celebration. ‘Clarksville’s finest!’ the banners said. It was like I was some big celebrity,” she sips her tea pensively before setting her cup down.
“They shouldn’t have let me leave. I became too proud, I guess. I started telling people I was going to be the greatest star to ever live. Better than all the greats. People got mad, told me I only got my parts because I was pretty. I fired back that they shouldn’t be jealous of my looks or talent. I lost friends. The only people who could stand me were my agent and PR manager, and that was because I got them money. Then I started to get fewer parts. I was told I was getting a bit old to play the ‘pretty young girl’ I’d always been cast as. I was only 26. Apparently, all my lost friends were right. I started drinking more. I told myself I was still pretty, still great. I got even less jobs. I barely had my fifteen minutes of fame.” She gives a long, heavy sigh.
I stop typing and look up. She looks sad and defeated. I stare at pictures of the vibrant, pretty girl, then at the deflated, old woman. “Ms. Sumner?”
“Oh, there’s not much more to tell. I stopped drinking, realized I didn’t belong in Hollywood and left. I moved to San Diego for a while, then came back to Clarksville. I couldn’t stand the way people looked at me, as if to say, “What once was, what could have been,” so I left again. Came here to Perry. I never married. I didn’t let anyone love me, I guess. I never tried at anything else. I just stayed here and let my life pass. I’m not one of those old Hollywood belles with a tragic life story and some early demise. As you can see, I haven’t died yet. I get to see my ugly old face every morning. I should’ve kept drinking, or taken up smoking. Your story would be a whole lot more interesting.”
“Ms. Sumner, your story is interesting as is.”
She shrugs her frail shoulders. “It’s not much of one. Sorry for taking your time.”
“It wasn’t a waste of time, honest.”
The frail lady shifts in her seat suddenly, and looks me square in the eye. “Young lady, I-I would just like to thank you so much. I really would. You don’t know how much this really means to me. I know I’m nothing, and this article of yours may not matter much, but this has meant the world to me. I just can’t thank you enough.” I see the tears starting to form in her eyes, which are still as clear and bright as the young girl’s in the pictures.
“You’re welcome, Mrs. Sumner.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I came up with this out of the blue. Inspired by Sunset Boulevard, Whatever Happened to Baby Jane, and my love of old Hollywood. Constructive criticism is accepted, but please, no harsh comments.