Status: In Progress

Wonderland

Chapter 5

My mouth gaped and I turned my head to look at him. He didn’t meet my gaze. Instead he just looked about the busy, yelling people with something of wonder. He watched a while, watching the people before squinting slightly at them and turning back to me, smiling widely.

“Want to try?” he asked.

“Will it have any effect?” I replied unable to believe that I was actually considering this but you know what they say, you’ve got to try everything once.

“Probably.” he shrugged. “Might as well give it a shot.”

And with that he took my hand, again, and dragged me through the crowd to the first stall. This caused an uproar with the crowd and it wasn’t long before there was more pushing and yelling coming from the unruly people. Some, once they had caught a glimpse of Hatter, quietened and calmed but others did completely the opposite. Instead of shutting up they screamed louder, shouting threats and insults at him. But he just ignored them.

I turned to look at the crowd, who were slowly getting closer, and grimaced. If I had known that my acceptance of the offer to try these “emotions” would cause such a problem I would have declined. No matter how much my curiosity would have complained. Suddenly two hands grabbed my waist and lifted me before placing my down on the counter in a sitting position.

“Up you go.” Hatter said and grinned at me.

“A little warning would be nice next time. Maybe you could even ask permission to pick me up? Or is that something this world doesn’t do.” I snapped.

“Alright alright Miss Mardy Bum. No need to be so serious. Anyway. Stay there for a moment please.” And with that he pushed himself up onto the counter beside me, stood up and whistled. Everyone went quiet.

“Good. Now I understand your reluctance to let this girl go in front of you, especially since some of you have been waiting here for days, but this is a very important customer to the Tea Shop. One who needs to be treated with the upmost respect. So please wait calmly and you will be seen soon. Thank you.” he said professionally and smiled down at me.

“See. Easy.” he winked.

“Who is this girl?!” Someone called from the crowd.

“Ah. Good question. This girl is called Alice and she has come to experience the full joys of Wonderland.”

I looked up at Hatter and frowned. How did he know that these people wouldn’t react badly to that name. How did he know I wanted them to know.

“Her name is Alice?!” a woman called.

“Yep.” Hatter said popping on the “P”.

“The Red Queen wants her dead!”

“She’s a traitor!”

“There’s a reward on her head!”

“I need the money!”

All of a sudden I was rushed by the mob. I felt hands tug on my hair, my arms, my dress, anything to try and get me off of this counter and into the arms of the desperate. Who knew what they would do to me once they had gotten me away from Hatter and onto the floor? I only knew one thing, I didn’t want to find out. So I screamed as loud as I could and kicked and scratched trying to break free while Hatter stood beside us trying to tell them to let me go.

Suddenly a gun shot rang out from beside us and everyone stopped. I turned my head towards Hatter, trying to make sure he wasn’t injured, only to find it was him who fired the gun. It was a little pistol which was currently pointed at the crowd of very angry and scared people. They backed off slightly and I could finally breathe again.

“Now. Everyone. Get away from the girl. There is no need for this behaviour. Go and get back in line and no-one will get hurt.” he threatened, holding one hand out to me while the other gripped the gun.

They did as he said, walking away with their hands by their heads, and this time I didn’t hesitate to take his hand. He pulled me up to stand beside him and stepped off the counter, to the floor, taking me with him.

“Good now we’re going to leave and it’s going to be like none of this ever happened. Understand?”

There were a few nods and agreements that seemed to satisfy Hatter. He smiled, put his gun back in his belt and turned to me. His expression didn’t seem all too reassuring.

“Come on. Let’s get you out of here.” he said and started to pull me back to the hedge door.

But before we got there it was kicked down and about fifty men ran in, each wearing a red suit with a heart sewn onto their breast pocket. They were lead by Dora.

“They came through here!” she squeaked happily and clapped her hands. She was much like a child.

“Damn you Dora.” Hatter hissed under his breath and ducked down slightly. He began walking us to the crowd and towards the other exit but there were too many of them.

“There they are!” Dora called, pointing her little sword in our direction.

The suits started running towards us and I looked to Hatter in fear. He looked towards the exit, then back to me and pursed his lips.

“You’re really not in the best outfit for this but we’re going to have to run!” he yelled and pulled me along with him as we dashed for the main entrance.
♠ ♠ ♠
Damn Dora.

Anyway. No links this time.

Thanks guys!

Comment
Recommend
Subscribe.

Love ya! -Emily