Status: In Progress

Wonderland

Chapter 7

There had been no other suits catch us up. Though I had no doubt that it took us longer than Hatter had planned to reach his safe house. But towards the end of the journey my ankle had begun to feel better and I could walk on it meaning it was me who was dragging Hatter along. Hatter who was losing a lot of blood.

“How much further Hatter?” I asked pulling him around yet another corner.

“About half a butterfly to the wheel.” he said happily and when I turned back to him to point out that none of what he had just said made any sense I noticed how pale he was.

“Hatter! Come here! Sit down.” I commanded and plonked him down onto a near by tree stump.

“We have to find a way to stop the bleeding.” I said quickly looking around.

“Do you have any idea why a Raven is like a writing desk?” Hatter asked leaning towards me.

“No. Now please let me think.” I said and continued to look around.

“You’re so pretty.” he cooed. “Do you know how pretty you are Alice?”

I raised an eyebrow at the obviously delirious man sat in front of me who had just slurred something he’d regret later to me.

“Look you’re obviously not well so maybe you should just-”

I was cut off by him kissing me. This sudden display of affection left me too stunned to react for a few seconds. But once that shock had worn off I was quickly shoving my hands against his chest to get him off of me. It wasn’t like I hadn’t been kissed before but this was wrong. Sure he may have saved my life but that didn’t stop him from being an arrogant imbecile who did nothing if it didn’t benefit him.

“Hatter! Stop!” I yelled and shoved him away. Then I noticed something extraordinary.

“But you’re so pretty. You know. I think I might love you!” he slurred and wobbled slightly. It was like he was drunk.

“No you don’t. Shut up Hatter and stay still.”

There was a thin brown tie which was tied loosely around his neck. Why I had never noticed it before was beyond me but I knew what I was going to do. I reached my hand forward and grabbed the tie, pulling him towards me.

“Oh so you want another kiss? Okay then.” Hatter giggled but I quickly took the tie from around his neck and pushed him away again.

Undoing the tie, I took his arm and tied it as tightly around the top of the wound as possible. It was only temporary but it would have to do. Satisfied with my work I smiled and lifted Hatter to his feet (not an easy job to do on my own), using my arm as a support for him.

“Come on Hatter. It’s got to be around here somewhere.”

I took another step forward only to catch my foot on another root and fall. Only this root wasn’t a root. This root was a lever. Suddenly a part of the ground in front of us slid back, revealing steps leading down into the ground below. I looked to Hatter who was stood smiling.

“Welcome home Alice.” and with that he disappeared into the ground in front leaving me on the floor.

After realising he wasn’t coming back up I stood and edged towards the steps. They looked normal enough and this was confirmed once I had placed a very hesitant foot onto the first one. I wandered down the steps, curiosity bubbling in the back of my mind, until I reached a door. The room beyond the door was cold and dark. I frowned. This didn’t seem right. Hatter must have come down here so where was he?

“Hatter? You down here?” I yelled into the darkness.

There was a snap of someone’s fingers and all of a sudden the room was alight. The lights sprang to life above me and the giant fire place to the right of me blazed, the warm flames flickering a warm welcome. There was a round chair facing away from me and, already knowing what was going to happen, I folded my arms across my chest. As expected Hatter spun around to face me in the chair with an eyebrow raised.

“Ah Alice. So nice of you to join me.” he said seriously.

“Honestly Hatter? I swear you have a thing for spinning chairs.” I stated and rolled my eyes.

“So what if I do? They’re just so damn fun.” he laughed and spun a full circle to face me.

I blinked at the colour in his face and smiled. He was going to be okay. Although I would still need to see his wound otherwise it could get infected and I didn’t know what kind of medicines they had here.

“Hatter I need to see your wound.” I said and started towards him.

“Oh Alice you are far too serious. We have more important matters to attend to.” he waved a hand and rose.

“What like? Closing the door perhaps? Can that not be done quickly?”

“Of course. But that was not what I was talking about.”

“But if more suits come along won’t they see the hole in the ground as a little odd?” I could not believe that he could be so stupid as to not see this as a problem. He was like a child. He rolled his eyes at me.

“Always so serious. Okay, Okay.” he clapped his hands twice and I heard a soft “woosh” as the hidden passage shut sealing us in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another 2 to go guys before I turn in for the night. -Emily