The Summer With Spencer

The Summer With Spencer, Chapter Ten- He Loves Me, Loves Me Not

We descended into awkward silence after that, after pouring our hearts out to one another. We were saved by Morgan, poking his head in and complaining. “C’mon, we all want to see her today, pretty boy !” Reluctantly, Reid stood up and exited the room, giving me his signature wave. Morgan strolled in and plopped into the chair, and the contrast between him and its former occupant was almost comical. All traces of the joking from a moment before were now gone from his face. He looked at me seriously, and grasped my uninjured hand.“We’d thought we’d lost you, kiddo. Well actually, I guess we did there, for a little while. Don’t ever do that again, I mean it. Gideon and Rossi are getting up there, and honestly, I don’t think they can handle all this !” He cracked a slight smile, but it did not reach his eyes. “What was his motive ? Why did he do this to me ?” I questioned him, genuinely curious. “We’re not discussing this case until you are well.” I perceived what he was hinting at. “You don’t think I can handle it ? Come on !” But I relinquished my efforts, seeing no point in arguing, I knew he wouldn’t budge. He stroked my hair and strode out of the room without another word. The next person in was Penelope, and she was all but hysterical. “I thought I’d lost one of my babies ! You cannot do that to me ! My youngest baby, oh gosh..” She babbled and cried at the same time, sinking into the chair, and then looking up furiously at me. “Do you know what you almost did to Reid ?! Do you know the last time he liked someone outside of the team ?!” I used my cast to wack her with. “Yes, I’ve been wanting to do that ! I feel like I could incapacitate someone with this thing !” She said nothing, but rubbed her arm where I had jabbed her. She gazed thoughtfully at me for a moment before stating “You really should rest now, and stop twisting around, or your ribs will never heal !” she scolded me. In typical Garcia fashion, she dramatically summoned a nurse to give me sleep medication. “The rest of the team will have to wait until later, she said, winking at me on the way out. I smiled back and felt the meds seep into my veins, sending me into an exceptional sleep.

I woke up feeling more angry than well-rested. “It should be criminal to sleep this much. I mean, I love to sleep, but this is ridiculous. I know that your body heals during sleep, but honestly..” I turned to Eddie, sitting beside me. He looked relieved to see me awake and being my usual grumbly self. “What day is i?”, I asked him. He laughed at that. “It’s still the same day it was when you were up earlier, Monday.” “What ?” I asked. “That’s ridiculous ! I was rescued on a Friday !” “All of the medication made you comatose for a couple of days, to help with the healing process,” he informed me. “Oh.” Was my conversationalist reply. “I gotta tell ya, I would die for some Oreo’s right now,” I told him. I felt horrible when I saw him wince at the word “die”. He said nothing as he left the room in search of my cookies. I sat up a little, noticing slightly less pain in my ribs as I shifted. I finger-combed my wavy locks, and ran my finger under my eyes, wiping away any smudged eyeliner. I looked up as the door opened quietly, expecting Eddie, but instead finding Reid. He greeted me with the wave I had come to expect. He sat down next to me and produced a bunch of yellow flowers from behind his back. “They’re stunning ! Thank you ! “ I told him, truly meaning it. I sniffed them shyly, and looked around for a place to set them. He retrieved them from me and put them on the table on the other side of the bed, before sitting down and clearing his throat. “So, how are you feeling ?” he asked me. “Actually, not too bad,” I replied. “Well, I was thinking that maybe you’d like to get out of this room,” he told me. “Yes ! I told him. I feel like I’m living inside a piece of chalk, I need to see color !” He nodded to someone I couldn’t see, and they opened the door, producing a wheelchair. The friendly-looking male nurse lifted me out of bed and placed me in the chair. Of course my annoying morphine drip had to come with me. Finally Spencer and I were able to exit the room without being attached to my lumpy hospital bed. He wheeled me into a room that I believed to be the Rec room. He parked me chair in front of the window, and sat on the couch right beside me. The entire team entered the room then, and I realized the plot. “Clever,” I told them. They had all wanted to see me and talk to me, so they lured me out of my room. We talked and laughed, having a good time, just being together. It was almost like before I was kidnapped. My Oreo’s were delivered, along with a pack of multi-colored Sharpie’s, so everyone took turns signing my cast. I let Reid sign it last, and told him to be creative with his. He seemed to know what I meant. In typical Reid fashion, he put an interesting and informative quote on it, along with his name. When we arrived back at my room, I thanked him for the amazing night. It was a really sweet thing for him to do, and it just made me appreciate him more. I got brave and asked him to spend the night with me, and the nurse brought in a cot for him. I made him put it right next to my bed, and I slept with my arm hanging over the side, my good hand holding his. Several times during the course of the night I woke up, and peeked over the bed at him, marveling at his beauty.

In the morning is when the fear struck me. I realized that my kidnapper hadn’t been caught, that he probably wouldn’t be. Unless he came back for me. But there was no way that I was going to tell anyone about my fears, because I knew what they would do. Shrink time ! I always told anyone who would listen that if I ever saw a shrink, I would punch them in the face, and then I could be charged with assault. Not good. The good news was that I would be going home later today, which I was obviously insanely happy about. It was just Eddie and I right now, because everyone else had had to return to work. We silently packed up my belongings, and I was again banished to the inevitable wheelchair. When we got outside, I leaped out of the chair and jumped on Eddie. He held me tightly, and spun me around. I was worried about him, he seemed so different, so reformed now. I felt like he was in worse shape than me, even. And it was all my fault. If I hadn’t been stupid enough to get kidnapped, if I had been smart enough to escape sooner…arriving home interrupted my thoughts. I climbed out of the car and ran right to my room and powered on my laptop. I had missed it so much, my whole life was on it, but Eddie had refused to bring it to the hospital because he knew that I wouldn’t get any sleep. It was hard for me to type with only one hand, my bad hand at that. But, whaddya gonna do ?