The Summer With Spencer

The Summer With Spencer, Chapter 17- Down And Out

“Annie ! What’s wrong ?!” she cried harder when she saw me. She sank to her knees, crying heartbreakingly. I sat down next to her and put my arms around her. “Caleb” she sobbed. I had been talking to her every night since I’d come, but no one else knew that. Caleb was her boyfriend, whom she had been dating on and off for a year. She believed that she loved him, but he had a habit of saying he was done, then coming back begging for her. Obviously this time he had gone too far. I was trying to console her when Spencer appeared. He looked at me questioningly. I’ll explain later, I mouthed to him. Annie asked me what happened to my arm, which was still encased in the cast. I motioned for Spencer not to tell her, because evidently she had not heard about my kidnapping. I told her I fell and got on with it. My sister was older than me by a year and two months, and she weighed more than me, but only because she had a couple of inches on me. Whereas I had the stocky, short body of a gymnast, she had the perfect height and was insanely skinny by nature. I picked her up and carried her inside. Reid looked surprised, which I thought was a bit insulting. Then again, he didn’t know that I had been a gymnast. I spent hours trying to comfort her, she was so upset. I couldn’t stand it, I honestly wanted to kill Caleb. If only he could see what he had done to her. I wished that I could punch something, but my broken right arm made that impossible. It wouldn’t be as effective with my undominant hand. Derek and Spencer stayed with me, awkwardly watching tv in the living room. My sister finally fell asleep in my room at around nine o’clock, because of all the crying. I was grateful she hadn’t asked where Eddie was, because I didn’t have the heart to tell her. I don’t think she even noticed the FBI agents downstairs, because she never said a word about them. I crept downstairs to be with them when I was sure she was asleep.
‘You never told me you had a sister,” they both said at the same time. “Sorry, it never really came up.“ I flopped onto the couch next to my own little ray of sunshine. (That sounds cheesy, but it’s true. Deal with it.) Derek abruptly left to go chill with Garcia, leaving me with Reid. “Will you tell me about your past ?” I asked him. And surprisingly, he did. I filled him in on the details that he didn’t already know about me, which wasn’t much, because apparently Morgan had told everyone all that he knew about me when creating the profile to find me. And then of course I had told him some things about me earlier, when I was endlessly babbling for no reason. “Hey, Spencer ? “ I said, turning to look at his beautiful eyes. “Yes ?” he asked me. “You’re my McDreamy. Just in case you ever doubt yourself, I want you to know, that you make my dungeon brighter than, well anything, really.’’ I kissed his cheek. “You should probably get going though, you have work.” “You’re my best friend,” he told me. “ Outside of my team, no one’s ever really gotten me. And what’s a McDreamy ?” “You,’’ I replied with a laugh, “You are a McDreamy. No, you’re my McDreamy.“ I watched him as he stepped off my porch, heading home. I pulled an ever-present post-it out of my pocket, and hastily scrawled “I love you” on it. I held it to the window, but he was already gone.
I went upstairs to check on my sister, she was sleeping soundly. She looked so much younger when she was sleeping, with her face all relaxed. I slept downstairs on the couch that night, still ecstatic from my time with Spencer. Technically, I didn’t sleep at all, because my adrenaline was going the whole night, so ‘slept on the couch’ isn’t really the right phrase. It’s more like ‘tossed and turned while smiling like an idiot’. I couldn’t help but wonder if Spencer was laying awake, thinking about me too. I looked out the window, trying to determine which room might be his. I realized that I had never even been in the team’s house before, and made a mental note to inquire the reason why. I felt like I was going insane, no activity could keep me occupied for more than a few seconds, and I never had any interest in doing anything but hanging out with Reid or any of the other BAU members. At least tomorrow was Friday, so the weekend would follow after, thankfully. I just couldn’t stop smiling, and I liked that feeling.

I woke up after about an hour and a half of sleep, but I wasn’t tired in the least. Fueled by happiness, I kicked it into overdrive and made a huge breakfast for my sister and I. It felt weird without Eddie there, but I guess I would have to get used to it. Besides, I had always been the adult in my household, calm and levelheaded, getting things done. My useless mind wandered to Spencer while I was cooking the waffles, and I almost burned them. I thought about what he had told me last night, about him having to take of his schizophrenic mother. He told me about being a twelve year old in his senior year of high school, and I realized just how intelligent he really was. It made me feel so inadequate, being fourteen going into my sophomore year. Well, at least I could cook some mean waffles, I had that going for me, right ?

My sister and I spent the day poolside, something we hadn’t done in a long time. But she made her decision to go back home already, because she had bought a round trip ticket, and would be leaving tonight at 6:30. I was disappointed, but at the same time, I felt like that was inevitable. It seemed as though everyone who had come into my life recently had left just as quickly. Even the team would be history in a little over a month, when I went back to Michigan for school. That thought was depressing, but it was the truth, and it was inevitable. My life is in pieces all the time, and they just keep breaking. As soon as I fix one, another one goes down. I leave my crazy parents behind for the summer, but end up in a town with no friends. I get saved from death, and then my caretaker attempts suicide. The list goes on and on, from the time I was born. I always knew I was one of those people who luck overlooked, and I was right. I guess I’d been hoping that after my abduction, things were gonna change, but clearly they didn’t, what with the whole Eddie thing. I had been starting to feel better about everything, but that realization about me leaving Virginia for school in the fall had me coming down from my euphoric high. Life’s a bitch.