The Summer With Spencer

The Summer With Spencer, Chapter Two- The Visitors

I flipped my hair over my shoulder and descended the stairs, trying to look sexy. I was introduced to them all in a flurry of names. They were all sitting inside the living room, and there were a lot of them; three women and five men. I smiled at each of them; J.J., a pretty, blue-eyed blonde, Penelope, who insisted she be referred to as Garcia, another blonde, but fuller figured and more eclectic, Gideon, an older man who looked grumpy, Rossi, yet another older man, but who looked more friendly, Derek Morgan, who was cocoa skinned, muscular, the sexy one I had seen earlier, Emily Prentiss, a pretty brunette with thick eyelashes, Aaron Hotchner, who asked us to call him Hotch, and the last, but NOT the least, was Dr. Spencer Reid. I adored Reid from the moment I saw him. He was just my type. He was tall, rail-thin, with shoulder length tousled hair, and large, expressive eyes. He looked shy and nervous, sitting there twisting his fingers. Eddie offered them beers and suddenly it was a party. They all followed Eddie to the back yard, except me. I just stood there in awe, still thinking about Spencer. Eddie came back in and got the beers, then came back again to see what I was doing. He knew from the look on my face what was up, and with whom. “Oh God,” he said, rolling his eyes. He lunged at me and scooped me up in his arms again. I shifted around and he was piggybacking me again. We walked outside and everyone was talking and laughing, except for Spencer. I was disappointed, because he was already sitting next to people on both sides, but, I got to sit next to Derek, which was almost as good. Eddie made a bonfire and pulled up a chair on the other side of me. No one made an effort to include me in conversation, so I took the time to eavesdrop, and I was surprised at some of the stuff I’d heard.

I found out that all of them were FBI Agents ! Legit ones, of the BAU, (Behavioral Analysis Unit), here in Quantico. I was amazed, that was so incredibly cool ! I then became convinced that my luck really was turning around. All of them except for Hotch and Rossi, who were married off, lived in the house next door, because it was just easier, they said. I picked up some things about the team members, like how they called one another by their last names, except J.J., whose name was Jennifer Jareau, hence J.J. Lucky for me, Spencer was the youngest on the team, and he was referred to as Doctor because he had all these PhD’s and bachelor’s degrees and such. That just made me love him more ! He was apparently a genius, and I knew that this was fate right here. He really was exactly my type.

I also realized that Garcia and Morgan had some sort of a flirtation thing going on. I didn’t think they were dating, because they never kissed or held hands, but they always talked in sexual innuendos and such. Finally, Morgan started to pay attention to me. He asked how old I was, and where I was from.” I’m fourteen,” I said,” I just finished my freshman year in Michigan.” He smiled and nodded, saying “Now Reid’s not the baby anymore !” They all laughed, except Reid, who looked up from the book I hadn’t even noticed him reading, in confusion. Eddie started talking to me then, and the night started to pass. I asked him why he hadn’t mentioned them before, and he told me it was because they had just moved in, that’s why they were coming over to meet everyone. I nodded in understanding. My phone was on the table beside Eddie, out of my reach. It started to vibrate continuously, meaning someone was calling me. I leaned forward “See who that is,” I told him. “Your parents,” he told me. Everyone had become less rowdy, because it was starting to get late, so they could all hear my conversation, I could tell. “Ignore it,” I told Eddie, but he ignored me instead and answered it. I stood up. “Eddie ! No, you idiot ! Don’t-“ He shushed me with his finger, his face looked concerned. Everyone was utterly silent by then. He looked at me and handed the phone to me. I answered, very perplexed. “Hello ?” It was my mom, yelling about how my dad was drunk again. I’ll never forget what she told me then. “You’re going to turn out just like him, I can already tell. Sneaking around, a nobody in life, lying all the time, fat, with a dead-end job, an alcoholic, polluting the earth. I’m glad you’re gone with him for the summer, I hope you never come back.” She then said some other things about my worthless-ness, but I wasn’t listening. I was watching everyone’s faces, because of the silence, they could hear everything. They all looked utterly stunned. I wonder what my face looked like. It was probably a mixture of shock and sadness, and pure bewilderment. I never understood why she said all those things, because she wasn’t drunk and she didn’t do drugs. I guess that’s just my life. One step up, and two steps back.