The Summer With Spencer

The Summer With Spencer, Chapter Three- Only The Beginning

No one quite knew what to say. Reid was looking at me especially intensely, though I didn’t know why. Without looking at the phone, I ended the call. I just stood there, with the phone to my ear, looking at everyone, with them looking at me. When I get angry, I don’t do anything. I’ve never been the type to punch things, or throw things, or yell. I just get this weird look on my face, and I just stand there. Sometimes, if I’m really angry, I start pacing and shaking. Everyone started trying to console me, but I wouldn’t budge. Eddie got up and walked away, covering his face with his hands. My eyes followed him as he hurried inside. I finally sat down and addressed everyone “I’m sorry to ruin your night. Carry on.” They all started telling me that it was fine, that it wasn’t my fault. I got up and walked over to the trampoline that Eddie bought for me, and sat on the edge of it, pulling my knees to my chest and gazing at the stars. Morgan tried to follow me, but that cranky Hotch guy grabbed his arm and told him to let me have some time alone. I kind of appreciated that. I sat there for a good hour, just watching everyone have fun. Even Reid started to have a pretty good time. Eddie came back out and re-joined the party too. It was about 11:30, and they all got quiet again and started whispering to each other, then looked over at me. Then they all just said goodbye, packed up and left. At 12, I was still sitting there, alone.

I asked Eddie if I could go for a walk, and he relented, given the circumstances. He told me only to go around the block, so that’s what I did. When I arrived home, I went and sat on the terrace for a while. Eddie came in to say goodnight, and he went to bed. I was left alone with my thoughts once again. Usually I don’t sleep much, even though I love to sleep. I just think too much, all the time. I’m about ninety percent positive I have insomnia. I went inside and started to write, I wrote and wrote until about 3:00am, and then I curled into the fetal position in my bed. I went to sleep thinking about how pathetic I must have seemed to my new neighbors.
I woke up to the sound of laughter. I checked the time, I had slept unusually late, it was 10:30. I got dressed in an olive-colored romper and straightened my hair and reapplied my makeup. I then went downstairs to find Eddie with his new bff’s again. All except for Reid. Of course. That was some short-lived luck, I thought to myself. Eddie informed me that we had plans all week with the team, because they uncharacteristically had the week off. “Great,” I said enthusiastically. Apparently they had all hit it off last night. I was feeling hopeful as I started drinking my coffee, that maybe I had a chance with Spencer after all. I went outside to jump on my trampoline, and started warming up, doing simple flips before I started throwing hard tricks. I was half-hoping Eddie and the others who come outside, so that I could show-off. But of course they never did. I began to feel overwhelmed. All at once, I just felt so depressed. I sat down on the trampoline and put my head in my hands. I was hoping this feeling would go away when I came here for the summer. At my other house, I had always felt so isolated from everyone. And now I was feeling the same way again, just depressed and annoyed for no reason. And the whole time, in the back of my mind, all I could think of was Spencer Reid.

I really just wanted to talk to him, I’d barely said “Hi” to him the other day, and I was really regretting it. I heard Eddie and Morgan come out the back door. “Hey, Llys,” Eddie said, “We’re going to the zoo, c’mon !” Maybe you’ll have fun, I told myself. But what I was really thinking was, You’d better go, in case Spencer’s there. I felt like a complete and utter creep, always thinking about someone I barely knew. I was probably just imagining the pull I felt toward him, I just had a crush on him, that’s all. At least, that’s what I kept telling myself. Eddie was waiting for me, alone, in the kitchen when I went inside. “You okay ?” he asked me. “Fine,” I told him, smiling brightly. He led me over to the neighbors’ house, where we separated into two of their huge black SUV’s, for their FBI duties, I assumed. Eddie was kind enough to make sure that he, Spencer, and I were in the same car. So, our clan consisted of Reid, Eddie, Morgan and Garcia of course, and I. Morgan drove, Garcia sat in the passenger seat, and I was sandwiched between Reid and Eddie, not that I minded. I started randomly feeling intensely happy again. I associated it with being a teenager, the stress of having crazy parents and basically moving to a town where I only knew one person. The radio was on the country station, and I couldn’t help but sing along. The windows were open and the warm summer breeze was blowing my hair everywhere. “Sorry ‘bout that,” I told Reid, because my hair had been all up in his face. “It’s fine,” he told me in a soft voice. I had happened to notice that he wore mis-matched socks, as did I. “I wear mis-matched socks too, I told him, for good luck,“ I gave him a brilliant smile. He surprised me by replying with some enthusiasim, saying something about some random statistic. “Reid,” Morgan warned him, letting him know he was getting carried away. “No, it’s fine, I like it,” I told them both. Reid smiled a little and started babbling on and on. I loved every minute of it. How cute is that shit ?