Status: a work in progress :)

The I Love You Challenge

Jamie

"Are you busy tomorrow night?"

It was early Saturday morning and Jamie was in the midst of her morning run when Seguin had called and interrupted.

"Why...do you...ask?" She asked slightly out of breath.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a concerned tone.

"I'm just out for a run that’s all."

"Oh sorry."

"It’s fine. What is it you need?"

"There’s this event I have to go to tomorrow night and I need a plus one. Its formal so I'll be in a tux and all the women will be in gowns. The food is usually pretty great."

"I don't have any gowns."

"That’s fine I can buy you one."

"Are you sure? They are usually pretty expensive,"

"I'm positive; don't worry about the cost at all. Where are you?"

"I'm on Longwood"

"Okay give me fifteen minutes and I can come pick you up."

"Meet me at the Dunkin on the corner of Longwood and Brookline?"

"Yeah sure."

About 15 minutes later Jamie was sitting down in Dunkin Donuts sipping her ice tea when Seguin walked in. People stared but no one really said anything. He ordered a coffee and sat down across from her.

"Sorry for interrupting your run."

"I was starting to get a headache so I was thinking about stopping anyway. So what is this event we are going to?"

"It’s a charity auction put on by the Bruins Foundation to go to some charity. It’s a required publicity thing for the team.

"Are you sure you can afford to buy me a dress?"

"Jamie, I'm Tyler Seguin, I can afford anything."

"I can borrow some money from my dad if you don't want t, I'll completely understand."

"Jamie, I want to do this for you. Stop worrying about it and accept the gift."

She finally gave in and they headed out to go shopping. On the way out someone snapped a picture.

"That person just took a picture of us!" Jamie said in shock.

"That happens a lot when you're with me. You'll adjust quickly."

"I look awful, I was just running!"

"Aren't you an athlete? People must take your picture all the time after games"

"Yeah but I'm expected to look bad then. People don't take pictures of me coming out of a coffee shop."

"Well once you’re as famous as I am it happens all the time."

"People are going to think we're together, is that going to be a publicity issue?"

"People are supposed to think we're together, that’s what we agreed on yesterday. Once the PR guys meet you and realize that you’re an angel they will want us to go out in public. Plus, when the picture is in a Boston gossip article you can send it to your friends as proof."

"Are you sure you want to do this? You don't feel guilty about it at all?"

"Nope. It will be worth it in the end. I don't really have a guilty conscience about anything."

Jamie acted like she didn't really care at all but everything was slightly eating away at her. After being an athlete since childhood she firmly believed that winning wasn't worth it unless you earned it. If she won the bet she wouldn't have earned it at all. Jamie had won many championships in her career so far and when she looked back on it the sense of pride came from remembering how hard she worked, what she had to overcome to get to that championship. They got to a dress boutique and Jamie pushed it from her mind.

Tyler insisted in helping her choose a dress despite Jamie's protests that she would know what would look good on her. She tried on five dresses of her pick but none of them felt right.

"What did you wear to your prom?" Tyler asked her hoping it would help him figure out what to pull from a rack.

"I didn't go to my prom?"

"How could you not go to your prom? I loved my prom I was prom King and everything."

"I didn’t want to go. My boyfriend and I won Prom King and Queen anyway."

"How did you pull that one off?" Seguin asked grinning.

Jamie sighed. She had really hoped to avoid talking about Ben with Seguin at all. "My boyfriend died three weeks before prom. We were both nominated and we won by a landslide to honor him."

The silly grin Tyler had quickly disappeared. "I'm so sorry," he said quietly.

"Thank you," she replied equally as quiet. There was a pregnant pause before Tyler pulled out a dress from the rack.

"Try this one on?"

The dress was nothing Jamie would have ever picked out for herself. It was red and tight all the way down to the hem. Jamie had never worn anything considered "sexy" but when she put the dress on she looked stunning. She walked out of the dressing area tentatively. When Tyler saw her he grinned.

"You look hot," he told her causing her to blush.

"Uh thank you," she replied shyly.

"You have to get it. I am definitely getting this for you."

Without letting her see the price, Tyler bought her the dress and a necklace to match.

They went out to lunch at a secluded pub afterwards. Jamie pulled out her phone and googled Tyler's name. The first article that popped up was one posted one hour previously. The Headline was 'Bruins playboy finally settling down?’ She showed the article to Tyler who insisted she read it out loud.

"The first part is about all your previous interests and about your Stanley Cup Celebration scandal, something about Ciara Price, uhh, okay here is the part about today; '…But despite this hockey star's reputation it seems that he has finally decided to settle down. In fact, this morning he was spotted with his newest girl having a coffee date before heading shopping. Now, who is the lucky gal? Jamie Sullivan, Boston University Softball's star...” Jamie trailed off and looked up a Tyler.

"What?"

"They figured out who I was!"

"Yeah, that’s their job. Now keep reading."

"Um okay. It just describes my history in softball though."

"I want to hear it."

"Fine.’…Boston University Softball's star first baseman. Before coming to the University Sullivan went to Kennedy Memorial High School outside of Detroit, MI. She spent four years playing first base there, leading her team to three state championships winning MVP all three times before receiving a full four-year scholarship. The current sophomore played 50 out of 56 regular season games her first year. There is no doubt that Sullivan is a much needed addition to BU's team. However, the connection between these two athletes remains to be found. A source from the team says that Sullivan is widely known for not being a party girl, in fact, she is more widely known for being against parties, so there is virtually no chance that the two of them meeting on that scene. However they met, it will be interesting to see how long the relationship will last.' and then there is a picture of us from this morning."

"I didn't know you were that good at softball," was all Tyler had to say.

"When did they have time to talk to one of my teammates?"

"They have sources everywhere. All it took was calling one of your teammates up, the chances that one of them will talk is high. At least they didn't say anything bad about you."

"Did they have to include all those facts about me? I hate hearing about myself held up so high. I'm not really that big of a deal."

"Well you better get used to hearing it, it will only increase from here on out."

"Oh my gosh, there are already 45 comments." All of a sudden Tyler snatched the phone from her hands.

"Comments which you are not allowed to read," Tyler said sternly.

"Why not?"

"Hearing an opinion on you from a professional is sometimes hard enough and they have to be at least a little bit unbiased. Fans who are commenting have no filter. They can be brutal sometimes. You’re better off never hearing a word from the fans even if it’s good."

"It can't possibly be that terrible. Can I please just read one?"

"No! You have to promise me to not read these."

"Okay fine I promise. Can I please have my phone back?" He hesitantly gave her the phone.
They finished up lunch and he drove her home. When Jamie arrived in her dorm room she went straight to the comments section of that article and started to read.

'This skank is way out of her league'

'She's not even pretty what does he see in her?!'

'It’s always the sweet ones'

'What an ugly puck slut! She probably doesn't know a damn thing about hockey so she must be sweet in bed'


Jamie had to choke back the tears.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seguin went home thinking about all he had heard that day. He was fairly surprised that the reporter had been so through in such a short amount of time but then again he was a big celebrity in Boston. What he was really interested in, however, was Jamie's personal history. She had been pretty vague in describing what had gone down with her friends and now he was doubly interested because of what she had told about her boyfriend. She obviously wasn't going to tell him on her own so he decided to do a little digging. He opened up Google and looked up her name. A few more recent articles popped up about softball from the previous year but as he scrolled down more he found exactly what he was looking for.

'Hometown hero dies in tragic accident'

'Drunk Driver sentenced to 15 years'

'Girlfriend dedicates last game to deceased boyfriend'

'Loved ones speak out'


Tyler sat back in his chair soaking it all in. It was no wonder Jamie hadn't said anything to him about her past, it was obviously very emotionally scarring. He didn't blaming her for not opening up to him, a complete and total stranger. Even though he was very tempted, he didn't read the articles, he would have her tell him everything.

The next night Seguin arrived at Jamie's dorm at 6:30. She attempted to leave unnoticed so her fellow dorm mates and teammates wouldn't make a fuss about her appearance which barely worked. She got into the passenger side of his fancy Maserati and found Tyler sitting there with his sly grin in an expensive looking tux.

"You look stunning," he told her as he pulled away from the curb.

"Thank you," she replied.

When they arrived at the hotel the benefit was being held in cameras were already flashing. "So, yeah there’s this red carpet type thing before we walk in for the press. All you have to do is stand and smile for a few seconds. It’s easy."

Jamie glared at him for not telling her about this earlier. She hated being in the spotlight.

"Think of it this way, it’s a great way to capture us together for your friends to see and team management will see how sweet you are and lay off a little."

Jamie sighed, silently agreeing. Tyler got out of the car and then helped her out of the car. Arm in arm they walked toward the entrance. Jamie felt completely overwhelmed with all the cameras in her face, but she listened to what Tyler had said and just smiled. When they finally got inside Tyler introduced her to some of his teammates. They all teased him about 'settling down" but were very nice to Jamie.
The dinner part of the evening came first so everyone proceeded to their tables. The president of the receiving charity got up and gave a short speech before drinks started to come around. Tyler and Jamie were sitting at a table with Brad Marchand and Dougie Hamilton who were both there solo, and Andrew and Krista Ference. A waiter came by with glasses of wine to serve and Tyler grabbed two, giving one to Jamie.

"Um, honey, I don't drink, remember?" Jamie said sweetly, lightly kicking his shin under the table to tell him to go along with it.

"Oh right, sorry babe, I always forget that!" He said chuckling and getting her water instead. Conversation started to flow and Jamie's nerves practically flew away. Brad was just like Tyler young and wild, Dougie was adorable. It was the Ferences' that generated most of the conversation, asking Jamie about herself. They made her feel like she belonged in their group. Krista even invited her to come watch the games with her and the other WAGs whenever she wanted to. Jamie was glad that everything was going so well and it wasn't awkward.
If Tyler's closest friends were buying into their little lie, her friends should too. After dinner they held the private auction and then there were press interviews. The evening ended and people began to leave. When they were walking back to his car, Seguin dropped the bomb.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"What happened to you in high school, you know with your friends and boyfriend?" Her eyes went wide in shock. "You don't have to tell me if you aren't ready, its fine."

Jamie almost took him up on that and didn't tell him, but something inside of her willed her to tell him everything.

She started from the very beginning, when she moved to a new town the summer before starting high school, in the house right next to her future best friend Lizzie.

"Hi!" said the enthusiastic girl standing on the front porch in front of Jamie. "My name is Lizzie and this is my brother Joey," she continued, gesturing to the boy behind her. "We live next door."

"I'm Jamie, my dad and I just moved in from the city," Jamie introduced herself.

"Welcome to the neighborhood! I baked you some chocolate chip cookies!"

"They’re the best in the entire state, I swear," Joey piped in.

"Oh, thank you! Do you guys want to come inside or something?"

"Yeah, sure! So, are you going to Kennedy Memorial?"

"Yeah, I'll be a freshman."

"Me too! Joey's going to be a sophomore. I can't wait to introduce you to the rest of the girls,"


She told him about how all four of them became fast friends, with one major connection; the high school varsity hockey team.

"Joey plays hockey, that’s how I met Melissa," Lizzie explained to Jamie when she was introducing her to the other girls.

"Yeah, my older brother Matt is on the same team as Joey so we sat together at a few games," Melissa added.

"My dad coaches and dragged me to most games so I ended up hanging out with them and now we're all good friends," Chelsea further explained.

"It’s okay if you don't have any connections though, we'll make an exception, you at least like hockey right?" Jamie nodded feverishly.

And, most importantly, that through those connections she met Ben, Joey's fellow teammate and best friend.

"Well, now that the game is over, do you guys want to go to the locker room to talk to the players," Chelsea wiggled her eyebrows. "And wait for my dad of course." Chelsea had always liked her hockey players best, especially if that meant rebelling against her strict father. They were all planning on sleeping over at Chelsea's house that night and they all agreed to go hang out in the locker room.

"Everybody better be dressed there are girls coming in!" Chelsea shouted as she opened the door to the locker room. There were a few wolf whistles and chuckles as the girls entered.

"What would you have done if I was naked when you just walked in?" one of Chelsea's flings from the hockey team joked.

"Enjoyed my view,” she replied flirtatiously and walked over to him. They quickly disappeared into the equipment room and Jamie shifted uncomfortably.

“I’m going to go talk to Matt, you want to come Jamie?” Melissa asked out of politeness.

“I’ll probably just go talk to Joey or something thanks,” Jamie replied. She wasn’t too fond of Matt. He was the typical bad boy that Jamie got a bad vibe from. Instead, Jamie tagged along with Lizzie who headed for Joey. Joey said hi to Lizzie who praised his game and then he saw Jamie.

“Jamie!” he exclaimed enthusiastically, embracing her in a giant bear hug.

“Hi Joey, you played great out there,” she replied giggling as he put her down.

“Thanks! Hey, uh, Ben this is the girl I was telling you about, Jamie. The one who moved in next door over the summer. Jamie, this is my friend Ben.”

Jamie and Ben exchanged hellos and shook hands. They all talked for a few minutes about hockey and the game but Ben’s gaze never left Jamie who couldn’t help but smile. Then Chelsea emerged from the closet and said that they should go get her dad to take them home. As they were leaving Lizzie whispered something to Jamie.

“I think Ben likes you! I mean, did you see the way he was looking at you? It was totally love at first sight!” Jamie blushed and shook her head but secretly she hoped her friend was right, she wanted him to like her because something inside of her was instantly attracted to him.


Jamie explained how Lizzie had been right. Ben and Jamie became “friends” and then in December he asked her to go to the Winter Formal with him where he then asked her to be his girlfriend.
They were seemingly perfect for each other and they rarely fought. His eyes would light up every time his eyes found hers, no matter what was happening. She told him about how by the time her junior year rolled around the spark between them was still alive and when they were both offered scholarships from schools in Boston, he went there instead of going to Michigan State which had more to offer. They were never once worried that they would fall apart when he was in Boston and she was finishing out high school. Their lives together were going to be perfect until everything was stolen them in a single instant.

Jamie sat on her bed at 3 am next to Lizzie, flipping through the latest installment of Seventeen Magazine and watching the Notebook. They were both emotionally drained and extremely hyper from a lack of sleep. All of a sudden Lizzie burst into a hysterical laughter. Jamie peered inquisitively over her magazine at her friend, slightly bemused.

“Joey keeps sending me these hilarious drunk texts from some huge party! OMG I am laughing so hard! He must be so wasted!”

Jamie laughed but disapproved. “Shouldn’t he be getting home soon so that your parents don’t catch him sneaking in?”

“Yeah, probably. The party should end soon anyway. Let’s go sit in my front yard and wait for him to stumble home so we can make fun of him and help him to his room!” Lizzie suggested. Jamie agreed so they grabbed a few blankets and went outside.

The early morning summer air was cool but not uncomfortable and the girls sat and talked about ridiculous things while staring at the stars. They were out there for what seemed like a lifetime when they heard a car pull up and headlights blaring at them. They sat up at the same time and squinted towards the light. There was something unfamiliar and cold about the lights and both girls knew it wasn’t Joey’s car. The car pulled into the driveway past them and the girls read ‘police’ on the side of it. The both bolted up off the ground and stared at the officer who was emerging from the driver’s seat.

“Is this the Lancaster residence?” he asked the girls who he seemed surprised to see out in the lawn at that time of night.

“Um, yes. I’m Lizzie Lancaster, can I help you?”

“Are your parents home?” he asked ignoring her question.

“They are asleep,” Lizzie said hesitantly, not wanting to say too much without knowing the reason that a cop was in her driveway a nearly 4 am.

“I’m going to need you to go and get them please.”

“Could you please just tell me what this is all about?”

The cop sighed somberly. “I really hate to tell you this but there has been an accident involving your brother Joey. He is on his way to the hospital as we speak and I am here to give your family a ride to meet him there.”

Lizzie gasped and all color drained from her face. Without saying another word, Lizzie dashed inside straight to her parents’ room. Jamie was stunned into silence. She didn’t know what to think. Joey was practically her brother too and she wanted to burst out and cry but she knew she couldn’t. She had to be strong for her best friend.

“Are you a family member?” the officer addressed Jamie.

“No, I’m just a close family friend. I live in the next house over,” she pointed at her house. There was an awkward silence that felt tangible in the cool morning air that was only broken when the Lancasters came out their front door and despair filled the air instead. Mrs. Lancaster was teary eyed and Mr. Lancaster looked ill with fear. Jamie started to back away towards her house when Lizzie grabbed her hand.

“I need you,” she barely whispered and with those three words Jamie was into the cop car beside her best friend. When they arrived at the hospital another officer brought them to the ICU where a nurse explained that they had just taken Joey in for emergency surgery. Although his injuries were severe, the chances of him surviving were high and they would be allowed to see him once the surgery was over.
There was a collective sigh of relief from the group who waited rather impatiently for Joey to be out of surgery. When he was finally recovering in his hospital room his surgeon came to update them on his status. Joey was going to live, but there was damage done to his spinal cord and only time would tell how severe it was. He was awake but on a lot of pain medication when his family went in to see him. They talked for a while and then came out and told Jamie she deserved to talk him on her own.

“Hey there big guy,” she said grinning and leaning against his hospital door. He beamed and his eyes lit up as soon as he saw her face in the door. He looked real beat up with bruises and cuts covering his face but he was alive and that’s all that really mattered. “You look like you were in the biggest fight in Kennedy history.”

“Well you should see the other guy,” he joked, his voice hoarse and tired. She laughed and rushed over to hug him tenderly.

“I was so worried about you,” she said quietly as she sat down next to him. They talked about lighthearted things, avoiding the accident knowing it would lead them to hurt feelings. Jamie knew it had been a drunk driving accident and she didn’t want to get mad a Joey any more than he wanted to feel like he had disappointed her. They avoided topic for as long as they could until Joey couldn’t hold something in anymore.

“Jamie, about the accident, I really need to tell you something. I, well, I wasn’t,” he started before an officer came into the room and interrupted him.

“Miss Sullivan?” the officer asked. Jamie was surprised that he was there for her but confirmed that that was her name. “Can I speak to you privately for a moment?”

“Uh, yeah of course,” she replied getting up from her seat. “I’m so glad you’re alright, we can talk about whatever it is you wanted to tell me,” she said to Joey kissing him lightly on his forehead and smiling before walking out with the officer.

“How can I help you officer?”

“How about we sit down over here okay Hun?”

“Um sure.” They sat down on two moderately uncomfortable hospital chairs.

“Do you know Ben Macleod?” the officer asked.

“Yeah of course, he’s my boyfriend, why?”

“We couldn’t get a hold of his parents and you were his first speed dial.”

“His parents are visiting extended family in Chicago for the weekend, why do you need them?”

“I really hate having to tell you this sweetheart but Ben was in the car with Joey and well, he didn’t make it.”

“No you can’t be telling the truth, he was hanging out…with…with friends…” panic spread throughout her body as she realized that the officer must be right. She started uncontrollably sobbing causing a huge commotion in the ICU. Lizzie rushed over to try and console her friend who refused to listen. She just kept sobbing and trembling and willing history to change to no avail. Her world was over, Ben was gone.

The next few weeks were a living hell. She got condolences cards and flowers that only reminded her of the ones Ben would get her out of the blue. There were ceremonies at school that she couldn’t sit through without crying. Her teachers had given her a few days of grace but the last month of school was packed full of projects and tests that she couldn’t afford to miss.
Everyone at school stared at her with eyes full of pity every time she passed them in the hallway. She was excused from the rest of the softball season because she just couldn’t focus on anything without him in the stands. Winning Prom Queen was awful, she wasn’t even eligible to win but she knew they gave it to her anyway out of pity. At his funeral when it was her turn to speak she couldn’t through her tears so Lizzie had to read it for her.

Slowly, everything was pieced together about that night. Ben and his friends had originally gone to his house to play video games and hang out all night but Melissa’s brother Matt eventually convinced everyone to go to a party. Ben was supposed to be the designated driver but he somehow ended up drinking and Matt ended up behind the wheel on their way home from the party. Matt had a blood alcohol level that could have killed him. Ben was in the passenger seat and Joey was behind him. They ran a red light at a busy intersection and another car rammed into the passenger side. They all would have probably survived if Ben had had he seatbelt on when the car went spinning. Instead he flew out the windshield, dying instantly.
Joey was injured by the initial impact and only gained the ability to walk again through months of intensive physical therapy. Matt, Matt scraped by with a broken arm. They arrested him for drinking underage, DUI, and one count of vehicular homicide, reckless driving, and reckless endangerment and he was sentenced to 15 years imprisonment with parole. The state was making a point with his case, hoping to get the most amount of punishment possible to discourage any other teens from making his same mistakes and it worked.
Jamie had to get up onto the stand and advocate for Ben’s character and how hard life has been without him. Even after he was in jail and getting punishment he deserved she still felt a giant, gaping hole in her heart. Senior year was the hardest year of her life. Not only was Ben gone, but her friends had all drifted apart after the accident.
She was angry at Matt and at Melissa and Chelsea who were at the party and did nothing. Some harsh words were said on both sides and eventually the friendship was beyond saving. Only her friendship with Lizzie remained and even it was struggling. Jamie was able to pour everything she had into softball, snagging the scholarship offered to her junior year from Boston University. The first week after her graduation she high tailed it out of that small town and settled down in Boston. She couldn’t stand being in that town for much longer; everywhere she looked she saw him and she couldn’t put herself through them.


“I know it probably sounds sort of ridiculous and well, naïve, but he was the only one for me I just know it. I never felt that at home and safe and loved by anyone else in my entire life and I never will. I may have been young but I knew we would always be together. This ring was a promise ring he bought for me to give me on his graduation night, to say that we would stay strong even when he was off playing hockey. I still feel like a piece of me is missing every time I think of him,” she finally paused and looked up at Tyler who looked like he was drowning in everything she had just told him. “Oh Gosh, I’m sorry for telling you everything. It’s probably way to overwhelming.”

“No, I’m really glad you told me. I could tell you needed to get that off your chest.”

“I’ve, I’ve never actually told anyone that before. Everyone I know back home already knows but I’ve never told anyone here in Boston before. My coaches know and I’m sure some of the girls on the team looked it up or something and read those awful news articles but I’ve never actually told anyone before.”

“Well I am honored you told me. That’s why you don’t drink isn’t it?”

“Partially. I never did it before that because I was too much of a goody two shoes to break the law.”

“That’s the exact opposite of how I behaved in high school,” Tyler chuckled.

“Well I guess I wouldn’t have been your biggest fan then.”

“And yet here we are today.”

“Well you did say that you were going to try to settle down a bit so I guess I didn’t mind as much.” He grinned.

“I guess we work for each other. As friends of course or partners or whatever,” she replied smiling as well.

On the way back to her dorm complex there was a comfortable silence.

“You remind me of him,” Jamie said softly.

“What?” Tyler asked taken aback.

“You remind me of him. He always had that same silly grin all the stinking time.” He uncontrollably started to grin and she smiled just thinking about it. “And he was so easy to talk to. I could tell him anything without feeling embarrassed or awkward; he would always listen. Always. I don’t know what it is about you Seguin but I feel like I can talk to you too.”

“Well I’m honored; he sounds like a great man.”

“He is.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey lovely readers! I am sooo sorry for the long break between chapters. I know I'm an awful writer for doing that to you. Hopefully, chapters will be closer together from now on. I hope you like this chapter, I definitely liked writing it.
I love feedback, so let me know any suggestions, predictions, etc, in the comments!
And just to let you know this takes place in the 2012-2013 season without including the lockout.
xoxoxo
-Jess