Status: a work in progress :)

The I Love You Challenge

Jamie

Jamie flew back to Boston in complete silence; she did not talk to anyone and no one talked to her. But inside her head, thoughts were flying around like there was no tomorrow. Jamie was well aware that none of her friends expected her to win the bet, hell she didn’t even believe she would win. She didn’t even want to participate in the challenge but her friends’ eagerness and the thought that they may remain close drew her in. She just wanted to be a part of the group.

There was only one Bruin that seemed to be her age, available, and well known in the hockey world: Tyler Seguin. However, Jamie was a shy, timid, and socially awkward girl that was no match for a party boy hockey superstar. Maybe she should have just opted out.

The flight she was on had Wi-Fi so she checked her email and read both the email from Lizzie and the email from Chelsea. After reading that Chelsea had pretty much gotten Sidney Crosby wrapped around her fingers Jamie was almost positive she had absolutely no chance. She wouldn’t even be shocked if she never got a NHL star.

The flight went well and in the late evening she was walking into Boston-Logan Airport, finally back to her new home. As she was walking towards the baggage claim she was looked down at her phone to text her roommate and change the song that was playing. As soon as she hit the send button on her text she accidentally ran into someone. Instead of both people who collided falling, only Jamie was sent backwards so quickly that she didn’t have time to break her fall. She let out a small shriek before she felt the back of her head hit the cold tiles and then everything went black.

Jamie woke from her blackout moments later looking into the garish lights on the ceiling. She attempted to sit up but that made her head start to spin and throb so she put it back down. The back of her head was aching and she could practically feel a large bump forming. She let her eyes roam but all she saw was blurred objects even as she blinked to try and focus in. She could tell someone was trying to speak to her but she couldn’t make out any distinct words. She closed her eyes for a while and when she opened them things were beginning to focus again. She could make out a figure squatting beside her and she assumed that it must’ve been the person who was speaking to her. When the figure’s face was perfectly clear she knew she had hit her head hard. Next to her was Tyler Seguin.

“Are you okay?” Tyler’s words finally processed in her brain.

“What?” she asked still dazed and confused; unsure if this was a dream or reality.

“I asked if you were okay,” he repeated.

“I…uh….I think.” Jamie once again tried to sit up but everything spun and she laid down again. “Not really. I don’t know.” He nodded.

“I’m going to help you up slowly and then you’re going to go sit on a bench over there okay?” he said. She agreed and slowly she let him lift her up and walk over to a bench. Her head spun for a while until it started to clear up although it kept throbbing.

“I’m sorry. I should’ve been paying closer attention and not ran into you,” she said after a period of odd silence.

“No it’s my fault I stopped short,” he replied.

Jamie knew that the smart thing to do in this situation would be to flirt shamelessly, play damsel in distress, or do something to keep his attention. But she was not skilled at any of those things and she didn’t know how to use her attractiveness to her advantage. She didn’t even deserve to have good looks.

“I should go claim my bag I think. But um, thanks I guess,” she said standing up quickly which just made the room spin again and she lost her footing. Before she could fall she felt his hand on her back as he steadied her.

“I have my bag, let me go get yours,” he told her as she sat back down and gestured to the bag next to them. It was a large gear bag that had a large spoked B on it and she thought he might be hinting at his career but she didn’t know what to say about it. “I’m Tyler Seguin,” he finally said when she was unsure of what to say. “I play for the Bruins. I’m pretty famous in this city.” He grinned.

“I know who you are,” she replied awkwardly which made his grin grow wider.

“I thought you might. I don’t know who you are,” he replied.

“I’m Jamie Sullivan. I play softball at BU,” she told him.

“So you’re an athlete too,” he remarked. She nodded even though it made her head throb
more. “Have you ever gotten a concussion before?”

“Softball is a non-contact sport and I’ve never been hit by the ball that hard so no,” she informed him.

“Well I have and I know a bunch of guys who have so I would guess that you might have one. My rock solid muscles sent you towards the ground pretty hard.”

“Um, yeah I’ll look into it,” she replied not knowing what to say about the muscle remark. She looked over his body and did notice that he was well toned, even better than in pictures. Not that she had seen too many pictures, but her roommate was kind of a puck slut so she had seen a few.
He had her describe her suitcase for him and then he went to get it. He found it with ease and
came back quickly.

“What’s with the tag?” he asked scowling.

“What are you talking about?” she asked confused.

“The baggage tag! It’s the Redwings’ logo?” he reminded her.

“I’m from Michigan, not Boston so I’m a Detroit fan,” she explained.

“Well you’re at least a Tyler Seguin fan right?” he said slightly joking.

“Of course!” she said before she saw the amused look on his face and blushed. “I mean, I
don’t know, maybe,” she corrected herself smiling nervously while he just laughed.

“I can imagine it’s hard to not be a big fan of me,” he said and she giggled.

“I think I’m okay now, the dizziness is gone and it just hurts now. I should just go get a cab and get back to my dorm as soon as possible,” she told him standing up. She was right, the dizziness was gone and only the throbbing remained. She was suddenly feeling drowsy and wanted to get home to rest.

“Let me drive you, I’m going right into the city,” Tyler suggested.

“Are you sure?” Jamie asked surprised.

“Positive. My car is awesome so I don’t mind driving it.”

“I guess if you don’t mind it’s okay.”

They went out to his car, a black Maserati that was indeed awesome, even to clueless Jamie who knew nothing about cars despite growing up with two brothers. They drove in an awkward silence most of the time; she barely said anything and all his attempts to start conversation failed because of her. Jamie was sure Tyler would want nothing to do with her after this car ride. When they pulled up in front of her dorm she tried to open the door but it remained locked.

“I should really get up to my dorm so I can rest. I feel really fatigued,” she told him.

“That’s a symptom of a concussion. I should help you carry your bags up,” he suggested.

“There’s an elevator.”

“Right. Well at least let me have your number so I can call to check on you.”

She stared at him in disbelief. Tyler Seguin had just asked for her number instead of vice versa. Hell, she was surprised he didn’t kick her out of the car as soon as he was in park. She knew that guys often went for her because they thought she was attractive but most lost interest once they discovered she was so socially inept. Either Seguin was really superficial, really naïve, or really ignorant. She figured he was probably a mixture of both.

“Are you okay?” he asked concerned.

“Oh yeah I’m good. I just wasn’t expecting that.”

“I just want to make sure you are okay later.”

Somehow Jamie didn’t believe that was all Tyler Seguin wanted but she went along with it. This was a chance to get him that she figured she would never get again. She could not let it pass her by.

“Oh yeah that’s fine you can have it.” He let her enter it into his phone and he promised to call her later. They quickly said goodbye and she apologized again and thanked him for the ride. She walked into her dark dorm her head still pounding and some nausea beginning to kick in. That didn’t bring her down though. She had just met Tyler Seguin and he had taken her number and promised to call her.

Maybe she actually had a chance.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Tyler Seguin has finally made his appearance! Thank you to all my subscribers and commenters!
Comment with any predictions and feedback I live hearing from you guys! Still working on the next chapter so expect an new update within the week! Thanks for reading! :)