Sequel: Smile
Status: Happy reading!

Remember Me

Jonathan

In all the things that were going on with Devon and I right now, going out to breakfast with her parents wasn't going to help mending our relasionship at all. She was mad at me and I didn't even know how to greet her when I get to Brent's apartment.

I parked my car and got out. I pulled my jacket closer to my body, trying to keep warm. I went up to the 5th floor and hesitantly knocked on the door. "Come in!"

I opened the door to find Devon sitting in the living room, in her pajamas, with paper around her and a pen in her mouth. She frowned when she saw it was me.

"Can I help you?" she asked harshly.

"Um, did you forget aout breakfast with your parents?" I asked rubbing the back of my neck.

Her eyes widened. "Shit." And she bounced up from her spot on the floor and ran into her room. I took my jacket off because it was getting warm in here. I sat on the couch and my eyes landed on the papers on the floor. She was writing a song.

I smiled at the thought, but then frowned. Whenever she wrote a new song, it usually came from our relasionship. "Fuck me," I mumbled. I never minded Devon writing songs about us, because it made her what she is now.

I'd gone to things with her before, like last summer, she had to go to Los Angeles to record her newest albulm and to do some interviews. Hell, one time I even went to an award show with her. That was when the press finally found out about our relasionship.

I hated that she lost all her memories. If I could have made Devon stay home that night and not go with Kaner to Sharpie's and babysit, I would've. If I could go back in time and fix everything, I would. She wouldn't be writing angry lyrics about me.

I wanted Devon back. I wanted the girl I knew I would marry sometime in the future back. I wanted the girl I loved back.

And her parents being in town didn't make me to sure about that happening. Knowing her parents, they would convince her to go back to New York, and live on Long Island like she did before we met. And Devon would go back, too. She would be loyal to her parents. Her parents would act like angels, and be the sweetest people you ever met to get their daughter back near them.

"Okay, I'm ready." I heard Devon say. She had changed out of her ripped sweatpants and tank top and into something new.

I smiled and stood up. She went towards the door and I gently grabbed her wrist. "Listen, Devon. About last night-"

"It's fine, Jon. Don't worry about it." she said with a soft smile.

"Don't worry about it," in girl language really meant, "You better fucking worry about it."

I didn't have time to worry about it now. We were already ten minutes late.

Image

The car ride there was spent sitting in a comfortable silence. I kept my eyes on the road ahead of me, but every few minutes I could feel Devon's eyes on me. They would skim over me. And I liked it.

When we got to the diner, it started to snow. I heard Devon giggle and she looked up. "Snow," she said. I shook my head and smiled.

"Come on," I said taking her hand in mine.

She looked down at our hands and back up. I didn't pay attention to it, I just wanted to get this over with and get ready for tonight's game. "Jon?"' she asked softly as we walked towards her parents.

I looked over at her. "Yeah?"

"Can we talk when we leave?" she asked. I just nodded.

Her mother smiled brightly and hugged Devon tightly. I took the opertunity to shake her fathers hand, like I had everytime we'd met. "Hawks are lookin' good," he said.

I nodded. "Yeah, they are." I smirked, knowing he worked for the Islanders and was a ig fan of them, too.

"How's Joel treating you guys?" he asked about his brother, our coach.

"He's a great coach. He's keeping us in line. Espically Kane." I said.

"I can imagine." he said sitting down.

Devon and I sat next to each other on the opposite side of the tale from her parents. Her mother smiled, as always, and asked, "So, how are you doing?"

Well, you're daughter is pissed at me and I have no idea how to make her love me again.

Devon answered for us. "Good. Wonderful." she said.

"Still leaving in that apartment of yours, Jon?" her father asked.

I opened my mouth and breathed. "I am," I said.

They frowned. "Devon's not...staying with you anymore?"

"She's staying with Brent, Brent Seabrook because she feels more comfortable around him than me." I said a little too harshly.

"So are you still dating?" her mother asked.

"Of course we are," Devon said before I could answer with a simple no.

Her mother smiled, but her father frowned. "Well, we were wondering if you would like to come back to Long Island." she said to Devon.

Here we go. "You know, see all your friends and your family. It'd e good for you, help you rememer more of your past."

Devon smiled. "Maybe, yeah."

Fuck. No. She's supposed to stay here with me. "And it would sure take a lot off of Jon's shoulders, wouldn't it? He could focus on hockey and not on his girlfriend's memory."

I decided that it was my time to say something. "Um, Devon isn't a weight on my shoulders, just so you know. If she was, I would've broken up with her before we became anthing serious."

"Well, either way, she needs to come home and see her family." her mother said with a fake smile.

Long Island isn't her home anymore. It hasn't been her home since I laid eyes on her three years ago in our locker room. Chicago is her home now.

"Well, that's not my decision." I said, trying not to get angry.

"Of course it's not. It's Devon's. You don't make decisions for her."

I smiled a little, thinking about all the bullshit I was hearing from this woman. I never liked her and she never liked me. But we only acted like we did for Devon's sake.

"I'll think about it," Devon said softly.

Image

When we'd finished eating, Devon said her goodbyes to her parents. I smiled at them and said goodbye.

As we were walking out to my car, Devon said, a little to loud, "You don't like them. Why not? They're so nice."

I stopped in my tracks. "I don't like people who don't like me, Devon."

I went and opened my car door, and I heard her boots crrunch against the snow that had fallen. She was standing behind me now. "How do you know they don't like you?"

I turned around. "I can see it. They only sound nice because you're hear. Your mother hates me. Your father doesn't, but acts it because of you mother."

She frowned. "There's nothing to hate about you." She whispered.

"Yes. There is. I stole their daughter away from them. And they know they can't get her back." i said softly. "Except now, because they see how uncomfortable you are around me."

"I'm not uncomfortable." she said defending herself.

"Can we go back to my apartment or something, please? You're freezing and people are starting to stare." I said.

"No. Screw people. I want to talk now." There's the old Devon.

I smiled and chuckled. "What are you laughing about?"

"That's what you would say to me when you were mad." I said looking into her eyes.

She rolled her eyes and walked around the front of the car. She got in, put on her seatbelt and crossed her arms over her chest.

The ride back to my apartment was just silence. When we got inside, I dropped my keys and took my coat off. I rubbed the back of my neck and said, "Um, I usually take a nap around now, so, um, if you-"

Considering Devon wasn't the one to start something, I was pretty surprised with her next action. She took my face in her hands and kissed me. To be honest, I didn't know what to do. But naturally, I kissed her back and put my hands on her hips.

She stopped kissing me and leant her head on my chest. "I'm gonna go to back to New York for a few days," she whispered.

I frowned. My hands were still on her hips and I had no intentions of taking them off. "But when I get back..." she said looking up at me. "I want to try."

I smiled. "Come to the game tonight?"

She nodded. "Um, I'm gonna take a cab back to Brent's. I was working on a song and-"

"You're taking a nap with me." I said picking her up and throwing her over my shoulder.

"I'm not tired." she said.

"Too bad. I am."
♠ ♠ ♠
heyyy guises. thanks for all your comments. i actually really love you guys. so tell me watcha think.....

okay. bye.

comment&sub?