Puppy Love

002.

"Sir, I don't think you understand what I'm trying to tell you, let me try to explain again-"

"I think you're failing my child on purpose!" The father yelled at me, throwing things off of my desk.

"He needs to focus in class more, he isn't following the lessons that well. I can try to work with him during recess, if you'd like?" I said, trying to resolve the problem.

"Now you're taking his free time away! That's not fair to my son!"

"Sir, I really don't know what else to offer. I'm sorry, but I can only do so much!"

"Well maybe if you would've gone to college the right way like the rest of us you wouldn't be such a know it all!" He screamed at me. I held back tears.

"Sir, I will try to resolve the problem with your son in class. Please be encouraging at home and give him motivation to study and do his assignments. I have other parents that need to talk to me, so if we could please move this conversation to email and we can try to resolve it that way," I said, as I wrote my email down on a piece of paper. He jerked the paper out of my hand.

"Your boss is hearing about this," He said as he walked away, pushing stuff off of shelves, ripping things off of my walls.

After he left, I put my head down on my desk and sobbed. The next parents walked in, and the mother immediately came to my side and hugged me.

"Some people just don't get it, do they sweetie?" She said, consoling me.

"I'm so sorry...I just...I've never had a parent be that upset with me and I don't really know how to handle it..." I said, wiping my face off.

"You're fine, sweetie. I'm Lynn, Anne's mother," She said, sitting in one of the chairs in front of my desk.

"Ah, Anne. She is such a great little girl," I said, smiling at the thought of Anne in my class, answering questions and being so eager to listen to me.

"Yes, but I have been worried about her concentration at home, do you have any tips that you could share to help me get her to focus without nagging?"

"Oh, yes. I always try to give homework that is fun, so try to make it fun. If it's writing a short story, give her ideas of topics that you know she'd enjoy writing about. If she has something that she talks about a lot, encourage her to write about it. If it's math...good luck," I said, smiling and causing the mother to chuckle.

"Oh Anne loves math...She's so good at it," The mother said, smiling while thinking of her daughter.

"I've noticed. She really is a pleasure to teach. She brightens my day, every day," I said, smiling.

"Well thank you for your time, sweetie. I am really sorry about that man," She said, hugging me.

"Thank you for coming, here is my email. If you need help getting her to do homework, I'm always on my email, I could help out a bit," I said, handing her the sheet of paper.

"Thank you, sweetie," She said, walking out of my classroom.

I sighed. This wasn't how I wanted today to go. I was excited to meet some of the children's parents. I heard a knock on my door. I lifted my head up to see Damian standing at the door.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, wiping tears off of my face.

"Oh I was dropping Anne off for dance, and I thought maybe you needed someone to talk to...The man that left here before my mom seemed livid," He said, looking around my classroom to see everything that the man had destroyed.

"Yeah...He was pretty angry," I said, picking papers up off of the ground and sorting them into two stacks: graded and ungraded.

"Well, I can help clean some of this up," He said, picking ripped posters off of the ground. I started to sob again. He ran over to me.

"I don't understand how people can do things like this! My classroom is my safe haven...everything was perfect..." I sobbed, looking up at him.

---Damian's POV---

I can't stand seeing girls cry.
I really can't stand seeing Dakotah cry.
I hugged her.
I squeezed her as tight as I could.
I just met her, and I feel so close to hear.
Hearing my sister talk Dakotah's praises and to see a man take advantage of a magnificent teacher ate me up inside.
Seeing her classroom like this almost led me to tears.
After I hugged her, I began cleaning some more of her room, while she went through her cabinets trying to find some more colorful things to hang in the classroom.
I hate seeing her like this.
I've only seen her a few times, but not seeing her peppy and happy makes me depressed.
What's happening to me?