Status: Active

Imperfection

Anger

I slightly open my eyes not knowing what time it was, but my phone wouldn’t stop vibrating. I really needed to change that setting where it vibrates every two minutes when you don’t answer a text. I grabbed my phone and noticed it was my friend Kennie. She wanted to know the ins and outs of what happened yesterday, because obviously she knows something is up when neither one of us answers the phone; us meaning, myself and my ex. I just groaned. I looked at the little number in the corner of my phone that read in black and white 10:30 am. Guess it truly was time to get up.

My room was nice and cool and dark thanks to my room darkening shades. These were the best investments I have ever made. Either way, it’s a Thursday, I’m off and I am staying in my Tinkerbelle sleep shorts and my green tank top that matches. As I came out of the bathroom the doorbell was ringing through the house. I rolled my eyes and ran downstairs.

As I opened the door a gust of wind swept right by me and a blur of colors headed to the living room. I shut the door and took a deep breath in. When I walked in to greet the colors, she had her arms folded over her chest, and she was tapping her right foot.

“Kennie, I honestly don’t have time for this. If you want to hang out and have a nice normal day I am all for it, but as for other things that I know you’re here for, I really don’t want to get into it,” I sighed just staring at her, her posture never changing.

“Is that really all you’re going to say to me? Because I am not buying into this bullshit. Originally I just thought you forgot about me while hanging out with miss Kit Kat, come to find out, oh no, you broke up with her, but never decided to call me or anything! I have been your friend since we were three! That is twenty long years, and you think you’re getting off the hook that easily? I don’t think so! What on earth is going on with you?” she spat at me. Her words had a hint of venom in them that I caught pretty damn quickly and knew she wasn’t going anywhere.

“It’s nothing! Honest! This break up has been a long time coming. The fighting was becoming unbearable, and the hold on me was too tight. There really is nothing to say, other than I’m sorry I forgot our plans, truly I am, but give me a break I have been through a lot!” I said keeping my cool not wanting to cry in front of her. For me, crying was a weakness and I was not willing to delve into that weakness just yet.

She let up in her stance that she had going on for a while. Just started rubbing her temples not knowing whether to scream or just walk away, but I knew which she would choose.

“Let me get this straight Dayna. Your best friend that has known you for twenty years, has suddenly taken to the back seat to Kit Kat, and has watched your romance bloom. However, that is to the untrained eye apparently. To everyone else you guys made a cute couple, you were always laughing and just so happy. Why is it that not even I know what is really going on behind the scenes? Would you tell me that?” She said. I was shocked that she didn’t scream.

“Honestly Kennie, I didn’t need the ‘I told you so’ lecture. You told me not to date Kat. I did it anyway. I feel like such an idiot. More so to you than anyone else. I couldn’t bear to face you knowing that I didn’t take your advice and I fell flat on my face,” I said hurrying the end, and turning away from her bold gaze.

“Is that seriously why you didn’t tell me? Are you fucking kidding me? I don’t take your advice in certain situations, and it ends up going horribly wrong, but I know I can still count on you and I know you would never in a million years give me the ‘I told you so’ lecture! Why would you honestly think I would do something like that towards you?”She said, her tone getting angrier.

“Listen, I’m sorry, I know that right now I am not the greatest friend. I have just fallen flat on my face. I have hit rock freaking bottom. I have dated that chick for four fucking years, she cheated on me with my ex-girlfriend, and it was actually the ex that I was still friends with,” I began to say, Kennie cut me off.

“She cheated on you with Amanda?” she asked surprised.

“Yup, go fucking figure. Now I am not speaking to either of them, and Amanda is pissed off with me, me! Can you believe it? She goes behind my back and has the goddamn mordacity to get mad at me? Fuck them both. I gave that cunt every little thing she has ever asked for and this is the thanks I get?” I yelled.

“Hey, please calm down. First of all, I am proud of you for using the C word. Never thought in a million years that would come out of your mouth, but I am proud of you. How about you and me go out to breakfast, and talk about things, I mean only if you want,” Kennie offered, knowing that us arguing would get nowhere.

“Yeah, I think I can handle that, let’s go,” I said heading upstairs to change.