Status: Complete! (:

This Ain't Goodbye

Isn't Goodbye

Sam and Mercedes took as much time as possible walking through the festival. Their clasped hands grew sweaty but they didn’t mind. They had such little time left together that it didn’t matter.

Mercedes leaned into Sam as they waited for the balloon launch. Their window was closing; Mercedes had to leave soon to catch her flight.

She didn’t mention it, though. She was too content in Sam’s arms.

Sam took off his jacket and laid it on the ground, adjusting his brown tank top. They took a seat on the grass along with about a hundred other people, waiting for the launch to commence. Mercedes curled comfortably into Sam’s open bare arms.

A short balding man waddled up to the makeshift stage about ten yards from the couple. He grabbed the mike and announced in a nasally voice, “Welcome to the eighth annual All Ohio Balloon Fest.” He paused for some cheering, “Let’s launch these puppies!” More and louder applause.

The pilots of the hot air balloons hopped in their vehicles. Fire erupted upwards as they ignited the balloons. Slowly and majestically, the large, graceful balloons lifted one by one into the air, stealing the breath from everyone’s lips. It was so simple, yet so beautiful to watch, especially as the sun began to set.

Sam’s lips parted in awe as Mercedes glanced up at him. He had never seen anything so extraordinary in his life. Mercedes couldn’t help the smile that stole her lips as she watched Sam. He was so genuine, so original; she knew that no one could replace him.

Mercedes wasn’t sure that a long distance relationship would work but she knew she would give everything to try. And, even if it didn’t work out, Sam Evans would always hold a special place in her heart.

Sam noticed Mercedes’ brown eyes staring up at him. He peered down with his eyes wide in wonder. “What?” He breathed.

“I love you.” Mercedes said simply. Sam tilted his head in surprise.

“I love you, too.” He whispered, clutching Mercedes closer to his chest. Sam glanced down at his watch, knowing it was time to go. Mercedes knew it too.

Without another word, the couple picked themselves up and walked hand in hand back to the car.

Sam helped Mercedes back in the car and they set off to the airport, Train flowing from the speakers as usual.

This time, Sam didn’t take the wrong exit. He silently squeezed Mercedes’ hand as he pulled onto the on-ramp to the airport parking lot. Both their hearts were beating rapidly with the impending goodbye looming above them.

They didn’t say much as they unloaded Mercedes bags. Sam threw her carry-on over his shoulder and pulled the largest bag with him. Mercedes rolled the other one along, grabbing Sam’s hand again.

They walked with a pensive expression on their faces through the airport, speaking briefly when finding her flight on the message board.

Both of them desperately wanted the other to promise things between them would be alright, that they could make it through anything because they had so far. But, the lumps lodged in each of their throats prevented them from doing so.

As they neared the check-in point where Sam would have to depart from Mercedes, he couldn’t hold it in any longer.

“I don’t want you to go.” He confessed, “I don’t know what will happen, what our future holds. I just don’t know and that scares me.”

Mercedes looked up at Sam’s terrified eyes and smiled, “That’s the point, isn’t it? If we knew exactly what our futures held, there would be no excitement, no passion.” Sam breathed in deeply, holding onto every last word, not knowing when they’d speak face to face next. “I know the distance will be hard, but we’ve dealt with it before. Miles between us didn’t stop me from loving you. This won't be any different.”

Sam nodded, gently placing his thumb, swiping it across her cheek just to touch her one last time.

“This isn’t goodbye.” Mercedes promised.

She pressed her lips up against Sam’s tenderly, lingering for a few moments before her flight was called over the intercom. Mercedes glanced over in the direction of the voice as Sam simply stared at her face, still unconvinced.

“How do you know?” He asked in a hoarse voice.

Trust me.” Mercedes grinned knowingly. It was enough for Sam. He released her with one last kiss on the lips and watched her curvy figure walk away.

Sam didn’t know what would happen in the future. All he knew was this wasn’t goodbye and he would never stop fighting for the girl he loved.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's over! Sad face.
So sorry, tabula rasa! I meant to post this yesterday but things got in the way!
Anyway, thanks for reading. (: