Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

The Score.

“So, how’d it go?” I say to Rosemary as I plop down on the coach next to her. We where in the district 11 penthouse. Our mentor’s, Oswald and our stylists where here as well. It was only moments before the scores got released.
“I don’t think I did to well. I threw some knifes but my aim was bad.” Her eyes welled up. I mess up her hair, like I do withTalon.
“You’re going to do fine.”
“Thanks.” I smile at her.
“Abram, how’d you do?” Oswald asks.
“Well, I think.”
“Good. Can’t wait to see your score.”
We small talked for about ten minutes until the scores came in. Orion got a 10, Ruby a 9, Caius got a 9, the boy and girl from seven both got 8’s and then my picture just pops up, and in the picture I’m smirking. I can’t help but think of Talon, Willow, Dad and my friends back home. How they’re all watching. Are they all holding their breathe like me? Are bets placed on me back home? Will my family celebrate if I get a good score? My palms are sweaty and I pull my legs towards my chest. Chaff puts a strong hand on my shoulder. Suddenly I feel extremely nervous. What I did wasn’t that impressive…
“Now for Abram Wellwood of district eleven…with a score of…10”
A TEN! I GOT A TEN! I could practically hear the cheering back home. Chaff grabs both my shoulders and shakes me a little, while his laugh booms. Perprismia is clapping while she jumps up and down. Oswald is saying congratulations over and over. Rosemary jumps into my arms and I can see my mother over her shoulders. She’s smiling and mumbles a “Good job.” for a moment, I forget how mad I am at her and mumble a “Thank you” and give her a lop sided smile.
“And now for Rosemary Tay of district eleven…” a silence falls over us. She pulls out of my arms and stare’s at the screen.
“her score is a…3”
before any of us could say anything, Rosemary bolts out of the room, crying. All my rage towards my mom fills me up again.
“Its you’re fault.” I mutter.
“what?” she says, looking shocked. Everyone is quietly staring at us
“You’re her mentor! It’s your job to watch out for her!” I stand up, my voice getting louder. “You were supposed to tell her what to do! It’s your fault she didn’t get a better score!” I feel arms wrap around my upper body. Its Chaff, he’s trying to hold me back.
“This is all your fault! Can’t you do anything right? Her life is on stake any you don’t even try!” I push forward, trying to get out of Chaff’s grasp but he’s to strong.
“Honey, I’m just trying to help you!”
“No! I’ve told you I don’t want any help from you! I want you out of my life! Why don’t you do us all a favor and help Rosemary!” I try to get out of Chaff’s grasp again but this time he just pulls me back and starts dragging me away and throws me into my room.
“Calm down.” He says patiently. I start pacing the room and grabbing things and throwing them across the room. Chaff just waited patiently without saying a word and didn’t try to stop me. Finally, when I calm down enough I sit on my bed, glaring at my lap. He sits down next to me and sighs. Chaff kind of reminds me of the big brother I’ve never had.
“I understand why your angry but going ballistic in front of everyone like that isn’t going to help you any. When you have you’re interview with Cesar Flickerman tomorrow, he’s going to bring up you’re mom and if you snap at him, you can say good bye to all the sponsors you have lined up now.” He’s right, I know he is but this whole situation isn’t fair. Everyone is helping me but what about Rosemary! She’s in this game to!
“Yeah…I’m sorry.”
“It’s fine. I really think you can win this but if you do die don’t you think it will be better to die without a grudge?”
“Maybe. I guess you’re right. I think I’m going to take a shower and go to bed.”
“Ok, tomorrow is your interview so get up early. We need to talk strategy and get you all pretty.” He claps me on the back and walks out with out another word. I would be lying if I said that I wasn’t still angry.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie