Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

Arena.

After breakfast, I took a shower and walked up to the roof with Chaff. We didn’t speak much until the helicopter came.
“You’ll do fine. Just put on a show, that’s all they want. A good show.” I smile weakly at him and he gives me a strong hug. Chaff is defiantly the older brother I’ve never had. I got on the helicopter and had the tracker injected into my arm (OW!). I entered a changing room, Perprismia was already there waiting for me. I got changed into a white thermal, a green military jacket, black pants and leather boots.
“You’ll probably be somewhere with really hot days and cold nights.”
“Oh.” My voice chokes up Perprismia slides my fathers silver watch onto my wrist. I forgot that I brought it to the Capitol with me.
“The watch had to be examined before it was given to you. To make sure it didn’t have any weapons.” I just nodded. I think I’m going to throw up…
“You’ll do fine, I’m sure.”
“Yeah, thanks.” A bell rings and I look at Perprismia in the eyes. She gives me a squeeze on both my arms and kisses me on the check. It’s time.

I enter the tube, the tube that would lift me up into the arena. The moment I enter it, the tube shuts and it’s completely silent. I could practically hear my heart beat. There was a pounding in my head, my breaths where unsteady and I was shaking all over. I look at Perprismia she has a sad smile on her face. This might be the last time I ever see her and I think she realizes this too. Perprismia mouths ‘Good luck.’ And the tube begins to rise.

For a moment I’m completely blind. It’s far too bright to see anything around me and the heat is almost unbearable. I’m already starting to sweat. It takes me a few seconds, I blink over and over and then I see it, the arena. It’s all ruble, like a old mind shaft. There were mountains of rocks and some trees. It’s like nature grew from underneath the ruble. I looked to my left, more trees. That must mean there’s water around, most likely underground. The sun was beating on my neck. I look to my right towards the Ruble Mountains, that’s where the mutts will be. I can almost guarantee it. I see Rosemary several tubes down. I honestly still don’t have a answer on whether or not I’m going to help her. The countdown begun. I looked over at the cornucopia, blinding in the light. We were on a plain field; the grass was extremely dry and dead. In most of the hunger games the cornucopia is always on a field, makes it easy to get to incase of a feast. I see the pair of swords that where attached to a backpack. I could make a b-line to it easy and then just run like hell to the forest. If I don’t have those swords I’m as good as dead. I look across the field and see Ruby, her blazing red hair pulled back in a ponytail and a determined look on her face; she was eyeing a bow and arrows. Her brother, Orion was two down from her, he was staring at me and by the looks of it he defiantly wants to slaughter me. He points at me then drags his thumb across his throat. I get into a running stance and smirk at him. If a show is what the capitol wants, I give them one.
10…9…8…7…6…5…4…3…2…1…
“Ladies and gentlemen let the 69th Hunger games begin!” Flickerman shouts. I run as fast as I can towards the swords. I get there first and I grab for the bag, witch the swords are attached to. Its heavy, heavier then it should be...I look up to see the girl from 12 holding on to the backpack, she looks savage. I’m about to pounce when I see an arrow go into her neck and blood spraying. She falls down and I grab the backpack from her grasp, swinging it onto my shoulders. “Get out of here, pretty boy!” It was Ruby who shot the girl. She gives me a mischievous look. I smile at her, give her a small salute and run the other direction. I look over in the direction of the forest, I see Rosemary being toward over by the girl from 4. I suddenly knew my answer. It would be painful to see her die later but it would be even worse to just let her die now. I run over and push Rosemary behind me and without hesitation I grab both swords and swing both swords from different directions but towards the same object. The girl’s neck. I kick her body back; her head falls to the right and the rest of her body to the left. A canon goes off.
I swing around. Rosemary looks up at me in terror. I put the swords back in their holsters on the backpack, grab Rosemary’s hand and run into the forest.

We run for what feels like hours, my lungs where on fire. The cannons went off 8 times after the bloodbath but it continues to boom through the arena several times. How many have died? I lost count, all I know is the girl from 4 and the girl from 12 died. I hope Ruby hasn’t died yet. I slow down and naturally so does Rosemary. I notice Rosemary also has a backpack. Must be why the girl from 4 was attacking her. Rosemary’s small shaky hand was still in mine, like it has been the past few days.
“How many have died already?” I ask while out of breath. She shrugs her tiny shoulders and begins to cry. I kneel down so I can look her in the eyes
“Shhh, it’s going to be okay. I’ll watch out for you.” I whisper while whipping her tears away with my thumbs. Her hair was in pigtails again. She gives me a weak smile and hugs me. God, she reminds me of Willow.
“You don’t have to.” She whispers into my neck.
“I want to.” I mumble back. I honestly want to.

After calming her down, I suggested we look at what’s in our backpacks. We both make out well. Both of us have bottles of clean water. Rosemary has mixed dry fruit, a set of knives and a sleeping bag. I have flint, beef jerky and night glasses. We’ll need to go hunting and find a water source but for now at least we have the basics. We walk around randomly for a while, just lightly chatting until Rosemary got tired and I decided to call it an early day and make shelter. I noticed a particularly thick tree with thick branches. I climb up and Rosemary follows. It would be to risky to start a fire so I sit on the biggest branch and Rosemary got out her sleeping bag. She offers it to me but I decline so, Rosemary climbs into the sleeping bag and nestles into my side. We both eat a handful of dried fruit, a piece of jerky and some water. I make a mental note to go hunting for game and forge some plants. But for now at least we’re safe. The nerves of this morning are gone; all that’s left is a hollow feeling inside of my stomach and a throbbing in my head. The blood bath of this morning hasn’t hit me yet. This alliance with Rosemary will help us both in long end. 3 more cannons go off, we both stiffen.
“It’s probably along way off.” I say smoothly.
“Yeah.” She mumbles; I put my arm around her.
It starts to get dark quick and it wasn’t long before the fallens faces shoot up into the sky. The girl from 12 and from 4, the pair from 8, 9 and 3 the boy from 6, the boy from 5 and lastly the girl from 10.
“12 left, including us.” Rosemary mumbles and we both fall as
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie