Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

Rebirth.

I woke up in a cocoon of warmth and a glowing fire on my right. My body still ached but far less and only in specific places. I looked down to see I was laying in a sleeping bag with a blanket on top and a blanket under my head and I was located in a cave...

How did I get here? I thought as I began to push myself up, weakly. A pair of hands helped me sit up. "Careful." A familiar voice cooed. I looked to my left, to see the face of Ruby, glowing in the light of the fire. Shes smiling at me as she says "You have a lot of sponsors."
I gave her a questioning look. "I found you by a stream over on the west and when I brought you here I didn't think I was going to save you...I thought you were gonna die. You came close to it a couple times. But every time I needed something to help you, It always came. Blankets, medicine, soup, you name it."
"How long have I been out?" I said softly. My voice so raspy.
"Four days. Three have died, there's 5 left including us. That's why I was so shocked you kept getting sponsor gifts."
"Hey, it pays to be this beautiful" I said softly. She giggled.
"Here, you should probably have some water and something to eat." She said as she helped me lean against the cave wall. She handed me a bottle of water and began to heat soup over the fire.
"Why did you leave the careers for me?" She grinned down at the fire. "Its complicated."
"I think we have time." I whisper. She gets up from the fire side and kneels down by my side again, she looks at me with that same grin, She touches my face softly, searching my face for something, her eyes lock onto mine and she gives a small tug on my hair and leans in and kisses me on the lips...

"Only one can win." I say, my eyes still closed, her face and inch from mine. I didn't need to look at her face to know her eyes were closed too. "I know." She says softly. So close, we're sharing the same air. "But, I think that district one has had enough victors." She said. I touch her cheek with my calloused hand, pulling her lips back to mine...

After a few kisses, Ruby rested her head on my shoulder, curled up on my side, her arms wrapped around my arm. Waiting for the soup to finish heating up.
"I think tomorrow, we should probably pack up and move." I said.
She nods as she gets up to take the soup off the fire. She reaches in her bag and finds two spoons and the bread that was given to Rosemary on the second day of the games.
"Do you think you'll be able to?" She asks, curling up on my side again, the bread in her lap, the soup in mine.
"It doesn't matter. We should move no matter what. Can't have the capitol getting bored, can we?" I said quietly as I dip a piece of bread into the soup and started eating.
"Is that how this happened?" She asked. Placing her delicate hand on my knee. I expect it to hurt, but her touch is so light it has no effect on me.
"Sorta, We were being chased by mutts and I just got so exhausted I could barely move. The guy from 7 found us and got us when I was too weak to do anything." I said, through gritted teeth. Its my fault, my fault that the girl from 5 is dead...and Roy...and Rosemary...Its all my fault...
"I-I'm sorry." She says as she kisses my temple and I know she means it. I shake my head, "Its fine." I say queasily, feeling like I was going to throw up just thinking about it...
"No, its not. Rosemary and you were close. Its okay to feel bad about it. You're only human."
The tears started falling down my face, "It's my fault. I couldn't save her...Its my fault."
Ruby sets the soup and bread down on the side and snakes her arms around my torso, she places her head on my chest. I hug her close to me as tears roll down my face.We stayed like that, for awhile.
"It's all my fault..."
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie