Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

Goodbyes pt One.

I stood in a room alone, pacing, in the justice building. Talon was the first to burst into the room. He grabbed me around the waist, squeezing me tight. I wrap my arms around him and I pat his hair, messing it up even more. My dad walks in with a small wooden box. I notice a little shadow following him.Willow.
“Shhh, it’s going to okay.” Funny how I’m the one comforting him, when I might be the one who dies.
“B-but I knew it! I knew it was going to be you!”
“Yeah, you might want to consider being a psychic.” I chuckle. “You know me. I can get into a mess but I can usually get out of it just fine.” I say smiling.
“S-so, you’ll b-be careful? You’ll t-try to win?” Willow says from behind my dad’s leg. She’s so little but I get the feeling she grew up without me being aware.
“Of course.” I bend down and hug Talon more firmly. I look over to Willow and keep one arm open for her. She darts into my arms. I hold my little siblings in my arms tightly for a few moments. I feel their hot tears on my neck and shoulders.
“I-I was going to v-volunteer for you.” Talon whispers into the crook of my neck so, only I can hear.
“Thank you,Talon. That was very brave. Promise me you’ll behave for dad? He needs you to be brave for him too.” I ask smoothly.
“S-sure. I’ll do anything you want!”
“Thank you.” I say once more in a shaky voice. I felt like I hugged them for at least ten minutes until I finally look up at my dad. He wants to say something. I can see it in his eyes but he’s having difficulty trying to find the right words to say. I release my siblings and get up, taking a step closer to my father. He looks defeated and older then he really is, I notice all the grey strands in his blonde hair, his brow is furrowed. “Dad?” I feel my throat tightening up. I shut my eyes tightly. ‘I will not cry, I will not cry’ I chant. My father embrace’s me in a tight hug. The kind of hug a father gives when he is comforting his weeping child. It’s my turn to be comforted. I feel so small in his grasp; I just stand there, legs wobbly. I’m exactly as tall as my father is. My arms feel like weights at my sides, I’m unable to hug him back, I breath in his sent and I wish I was a little boy again, when things where simpler.
“Abram,” he whispers. “I am so sorry. This is all my fault. If I- if I just…you wouldn’t be a tribute…” it takes me several seconds to realize what he means.
“Wait, what? Dad, what do you mean?” I mumble into his neck.
A peacekeeper opens the door “Times up.”
My father holds my face in both his hands and looks me straight in the eye.
“You’ve grown up so fast, you know? Sometimes, I forget you’re not the 4-year-old boy I once knew.”
“Times up.” The peacekeeper says while grabbing my father’s shoulder, pulling him back. I never noticed how strong my dad is. The peacekeeper looks weak in comparison.
“I- hear, take this! Your aloud a token in the games.” he hands me the wooden box.
“Abram, I love you so much. You know that right? I’m so proud of you. Your mother will take care of you.”
“Mayor Wellwood, please. Times up.” The peacekeeper says softly.
The peacekeeper begins to shove my family out. I scream, “I love you!” over and over to them and they shout it back until the door shuts with a final slam.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie