Status: Complete

Alive Till Kingdom Come.

Travel.

Liv was my last visitor and after waiting for a little while, Oswald and a few peacekeepers escorted me to the train. I kept a strong grip on the wooden box.
“Rosemary is already on the train.” Oswald says. Good, The little time I spend with her the better. She reminds me too much of Willow. The walk to the platform was brief. I could see the cameramen from a mile away. I whip all expression from my face and make myself look cool and calm. Just as I’m about to reach the train a women grabs my upper arm, swinging me back. I try to remain calm.
“Take care of her.” The woman says in a firm voice. A fierce look in her eyes which where streaming with tears. Her grasp on my arm was tight; I would defiantly get a bruise. “Take care of my daughter.” The peacekeeper separates us and pushes me on the train. I look back at the women, who looked too much like Rosemary. What she said was not a question but I fell guilty because I’m unsure what my answer will be.

The moment I enter the train the first thing I notice is my mother. She’s sitting in a chair, so deep in thought it’s freighting. I sit across from her. The awkwardness suffocating me. She looks up at me as if seeing me for the first time.
“You did well. Keep it up when we reach the Capitol.”
“Thanks.” I say simply. I’m unable to hold back the tears anymore; they start falling down my face. My mother leans over and grabs my hand.
“I mean it. You did really well…before dinner we should work on-“ I know where this is going…
“No!” this is too much to handle. “I don’t want you to be my mentor!”
She looks at me confused.
“What? Abram, sweetie, I don’t-”
I pull my hand out of her grip and look at her fiercely.
“I don’t want you to be my mentor.” I notice that the other mentors (Seeder and Chaff), Oswald and Rosemary are in this compartment as well. All looking at me bewildered.
“I want Chaff as my mentor.”
Chaff is a forty something year old. He’s 6 feet tall and has dark skin. From what I’ve seen of the mentors on T.V, he’s a drinking buddy with Haymitch, the only district 12 victor. He nods at me stiffly, agreeing to help me.
“But, why? I don’t understand-“
I get up from my chair looking down at her, she looks meek and small.
“It’s your fault.” She’s speechless. “I don’t know what dad did to get me here but I know you have something to do with it.”
“Honey, let me explain…”
“No!” I shout again. She jumps. I can feel my face getting hot. The tears continue to spill. “I don’t want to know, I don’t care! I just don’t want anything to do with you!” I shout with all my rage. I turn on Oswald, who looks like I’m about to maul him.
“Can you show me my bedroom?” I seethe.
“O-of course.” He smiles weakly and begins to lead me to my room. I don’t look back at my mother.
♠ ♠ ♠
xo, Jessie