Status: Going strong. :)

Signed, Forever Yours

A Soft Whisper

-Winter 2011-

Amberlee stares longingly through the large window, careful not to touch the glass with her nose. She giggles as her breath makes fog appear, and she draws a little heart in it. It is hard for her to not be happy this time of year. The way the snow coats everything in sight amazes her. She’s never seen anything so crisp, clean, and beautiful; she longs to put on her winter jacket, mittens, and knit hat and trample through all of the perfection but he wouldn’t allow that. He doesn’t allow much of anything. She sighs as she glances at him, asleep on the couch. He looks so peaceful when he was asleep. When he was awake, that’s when she is scared. She shivers as she remembers the bruise on her leg.

She walks over to him and sits on the arm of the couch, careful not to disturb him. Why can’t he look this peaceful all the time? She carefully runs her fingers over the green leather of the couch. Why does he have to be so mean? Why can’t she get the courage to leave him? He’s left before, why can’t she just let him go instead of crawling back to him time and time again? She shakes her head at the thought.

She leaves his side and entered the kitchen, eager to make something to warm the chill that was starting in her toes. She searches through the cabinets, desperate to find some hot chocolate or some tea, anything that could warm her delicate insides. She sighs in defeat. Maybe, she thinks, I can just run to the store quick. She contemplates the idea for a few moments. He’d be so angry if she were gone when he woke up, but she’d do anything for some momentary satisfaction. With her mind made up, she pulls on her boots and pea coat. She scribbles a quick note. Hopefully it would reduce some of his anger if he did wake up.

She quietly tiptoes her way out of the house and a smile blossoms on her face as she take the first step into the new snow. She stares up at the sky and couldn’t contain her happiness. She then remembers her mission, and hurries off to the store. As she pushes her cart down the aisle, picking up the few things she needs, she spots something out of the corner of her eye, something, or rather someone that brought a smile to her face. She turns her head towards him, and sees his lips crashing down on someone else’s. She feels her heart sink in her chest. She didn’t know Caleb was seeing someone. Her hope of getting out fades.

She clutches her bag of purchased good close to her. Her hand rests on the doorknob as she gains the courage to open the door. She lets out her breath and opens it. She peers in and everything appears to be normal. She sighs in relief. She skips off to the kitchen and starts boiling water. With a big smile on her face, she turns around to grab a cup and is stopped dead in her tracks.

“What did I tell you about leaving the fucking house without my permission?!”

Amberlee stares at the floor. She knew she was in trouble now. She hears the click of the burner being turned off, and then feels Jarrod’s fingers dig into her flesh. She closes her eyes in hope of stopping the tears. She silently prays for him to not hurt her too bad as he drags her to the room where all of her dreams have been shattered.