Status: Going strong. :)

Signed, Forever Yours

Gut Deep

“Caleb, baby, it’s almost time to go!”

He runs his fingers through his thick hair. Powering down his video game, he stands and stretches. “You do know how to get there right?”

Sam nods her head and pulls her jacket on, the nip of winter still present in the April air. Caleb smiles to himself as he sees the jacket stretch over the growing baby bump. He gives Sam a kiss, and then gives one to her belly.

“Have you thought of any names yet?”

Sam looks at him and smiles.

“I was thinking Clarissa Rae if it’s a girl. If it’s a boy, I think he should be named Timothy Christopher.”

He nods to himself and holds open the door.

--*--

“I swear to God, we’re going to be late if you don’t drive a little faster!”

“I don’t want to risk hurting you or the baby. I’m sorry!”

Sam taps her fingers against the window. She is getting quite anxious for the upcoming appointment. She has a huge decision to make, and a huge secret to tell, and she isn’t quite sure if she can do it yet. She glances at the man in the driver’s seat. She couldn’t believe how much she is keeping from him. Soon, she thinks, soon I will tell him.

Sitting in the waiting room, she taps her foot against the ground. She looks at Caleb, then back to their intertwined fingers. She opens her mouth to speak, but closes it quickly. She looks at all the other couples. The women who proudly show their bellies are accompanied by the men who would die for them. Why couldn’t she be that happy to be pregnant? She sighs. She looks at the pictures on the walls. Mothers with smiles as bright as the sun because they are holding their new addition. The calling of her name jostles her from her thoughts. She turns to Caleb.

“I want to go in alone.”

With that, she turns towards the nurse before he has a chance to say anything.

--*--

Caleb sits in the waiting room, silently fuming. Why would she want to go in alone? Was she secretly not pregnant and this is all an act? Is she having triplets and doesn’t want to scare him away? He paces, trying to come up with some sort of reason.

He is certainly excited to be a father. He wants to prove that the “bad father” gene doesn’t run in the family. He wants to spoil his little child in every way that he can. He wants to hold it, play with it, feed it, capture every moment of it. He wants to be the best father he can be.

Sam emerges from behind the door, and Caleb can immediately tell by her eyes that something is wrong. He offers to help put on her jacket, and she silently declines. Defeated, he holds open the door.

--*--

She can’t believe it’s done. The date is now set. She couldn’t do it before she tells Caleb; she would feel even guiltier. She places a hand on her growing belly. She closes her eyes to stop a tear. How can she even do this to him? She knows how much it means to him and she’s just taking it all away from him. She can’t help but hurt him. She isn’t looking forward to seeing him break, seeing everything he’s tried to rebuild collapse, all because of her selfishness. She doesn’t care about anyone else, and she admits that to herself over and over again. She won’t be a human anymore, but a killer. Not of just one person, but two. One who can’t even fight, and one who has fought all his life. One person would die tonight, the other in a few days.

“Caleb, we need to talk.”