Status: Don't forget to check to see who's POV you're reading :)

Honour Thy Lady

Chapter 8: Sir Marcus' POV

When that strange woman came squealing towards me and the boy as we practiced, I knew something was wrong, other than Lady Cecile’s apparent near death experience. When she reappeared in a drunken stupor, I knew things could only be getting worse. Thankfully, my teacher had taught me to always be prepared, especially for the unknown. Obviously milady wasn’t enjoying her stay, so preparing to leave was only natural. However, I had assumed her father would be along with us, with Jarvis riding with me. I don’t think Lady Cecile would like to wait for her father, especially now that the guard has signaled for the search.

After setting her atop the horse’s caramel colored back, I try and figure out what to do. Milady’s safety is my main concern, so we obviously can’t go back. Wandering the forest is dangerous, especially without a destination in mind. The castle, our home, might not be the best place to be for her, especially when the Lord returns. Though I was pulled from society in order to train as a knight in the castle, I still have a few connections to the outside world. From these connections I may be able to find a safe place to stay, at least for a few hours.

I tie Lady Cecile’s horse to mine so I can keep an eye on her, and signal for Jarvis to mount his steed and follow. I would keep him within an arm’s reach as well if I could, but after what happened with Lady Cecile, I have little care for what happens to him at the moment. We need to find friends in the forest, and get milady to safety. That is the only important thing right now. We set out on the path we took to reach the castle, going back towards familiar forest. The clamor of the guards preparing to give chase grew quieter as our lead increased. However, with the horses tied together, it might not be long before they catch up. Heading straight will lead us back to the castle, but in the forest, I may be able to find safety. The question is, will it be safer or would she get hurt on the way? I motion for Jarvis to come closer so I can tell him what he needs to do. He nods and splits off from us, pushing the charcoal beast to go as fast as it can.

“Hold on tight Milady! The forest will be safer than the path.” She just nods, much more on her mind than where we are going. I steer us after the boy, taking a quick look behind to see if we are being followed yet. It seems a dozen or so men are close enough to see us change course. That does not bode well for us. Maneuvering two horses is hard enough, but having them outrun or outmaneuver the guards on their horses is impossible. I might just have to stand and fight, but fighting more than 3 or 4 at a time would be suicide, and then the lady would be captured and subjected to any punishments Sir Fredrick deemed appropriate. I do not find any of the punishments I could imagine he would deem appropriate to be in the Lady’s best interest.

We make our way through the thickening greenery, my eyes constantly scanning for spaces wide enough for both horses to get through nearly side by side. The pounding of dozens of hooves behind us increases the urgency with which I steer the horses. But there is no escape. Perhaps I could manage to find a clearing where none of them could sneak up on me, perhaps then I can win. But I don’t like the odds, and I am taking too many chances with Lady Cecile as is. I can’t let her get hurt… Only one thing to do…

I turn to Lady Cecile and tell her “Ride on until you get to the Elven city. Continue riding as straight as you can and you should get there after some time. Jarvis went on ahead to inform them of our arrival, so the scouts will be looking for you.” I untie her horse from mine before slowing down and giving her horse’s rump a little smack to get it going. “If things go well, I will find you soon. If not, when you find Jarvis, tell him that he is in charge of your safety.” As her horse charges forward, I pull mine to a stop, and look around for anything I can use to my advantage. Lots of sturdy trees, some branches on the ground, the trees’ roots here and there, and some fallen leaves are all I have to work with.

If I had a shovel I could dig a pit that some of them might fall in, but I do not. If I had a bow and arrow, I might be able to shoot a few of them down from atop a tree, but the rest would continue after Lady Cecile, and I also lack the bow and arrows. Before I could even attempt to formulate a plan, the first of the guards appears a few dozen meters out. I have no time to think, much less to act. Instead, I make my stand. I draw both swords from their sheaths and hold them at my side. As I mentally prepare for the battle ahead, I try and see how many opponents are approaching and how they will arrive. I count 17 men with multicolored beasts within a minute’s arrival of the first. This is suicide, but maybe I can hold them off for long enough for Lady Cecile’s escape. As the first opponent approaches, I pray to the powers that be for her safe escape from these men.

As the guard dismounts, I notice the long blonde hair falling around his shoulders. Big mistake. There is a reason I keep Jarvis’ and my hair short, and I am about to use that reason against this man. If only Jarvis was here to learn a thing or two… With that thought, I launch at the guard who bears the crest of Duke Frederick, driving my right hand’s blade into the soft soil right beforehand. My other sword attacks his side, easily deflected by his shield. Using the momentum from my charge and the blocked blow, I spin around behind him and grab a fistful of hair. My own speed still propelling me past the man, I drag him down backwards and drive my sword through his neck after he hits the ground. Returning to my other blade as the next 4 guards come upon the scene, I notice pixies watching the battle from perches up in the trees, large devilish grins on their faces, bloodlust in their eyes.

Even if I was somehow able to defeat all the guards, the pixies might attack me or my horse. And even if I was somehow able to beat all of them as well, their cries would attract others. This has gone from suicide to completely hopeless…

No time to think about that now. Lady Cecile is still too close. If I can keep the pixies interested with my fight, and delay the guards for a few minutes, maybe she can make it to the Elven city. The guards who have arrived have dismounted, and one is tending to the dead one. The other 3 have drawn their swords and one has started to charge. An overhead attack is easily deflected while my other blade slides beneath his light armor. He falls flat on his face, and the other two attack at the same time while more guards arrive, some circling behind me. I block both attacks with my swords, but I am left wide open for any other attacks. And while other guards dismount and draw their swords, I can tell how screwed I am. And then the pixies attack.

They swarmed around us and I dropped down and rolled away from my other attackers, preparing for the onslaught. In the moment I get up, I see the guards under attack, swords flailing uselessly. They are serious this time, not like when they playfully attacked the carriage. I mentally prepare for the pain that they will undoubtedly bring upon me, steeling my nerves against lighter pains so I don’t uselessly panic like those foolish men in front of me. But none of them approach me, their focus completely on the guards. Then suddenly, a voice appeared behind me.

“We need to talk Sir Knight.”
“I’m listening.” Came my reply, not wishing to curse my luck by attacking prematurely.
“Sheath your swords, we will not harm you.” Came the high pitched reply.
“I will listen and I will talk, but I will not give up control of my swords. Until I feel safe, they stay at my side.”
“Very well warrior. We have been watching you closely, ever since the fey children returned to the forest. You are quite an interesting human. You willingly give your life for the woman. Why is that?”
“Because it is my job. Her father had me trained since childhood to protect her.”
“But that is not the only reason. Many similar knights have failed in their mission because they wish to preserve their own life. Going up against this many opponents would have been suicide. Why do you care for that woman so much?”
“It has to do with how she acts. She is the nicest person I have ever known. No one as nice as her deserves to be harmed in the least, much less die. My life to protect her is a sacrifice I am willing to make. The world needs more people like her.”
“Very interesting. We care about this woman as well, for our own reasons. Quickly, go to her. Protect her. Do not let her fall to harm. This is not just her father’s charge for you, but ours as well. Do not disappoint us.”

With a slight nod, I sheath my swords and walk calmly away from the cloud of pain that the guards still writhe within. On the pixy’s word, I will not be harmed, but I still do not trust them, and my hand never leaves the handle of the blade. Once back at my horse, I climb atop and steer in the direction I told Lady Cecile to go, taking one last look at the pixie’s carnage. Blood has covered the ground around the fallen guards, and new guards have taken their places, but the pixies continue the assault. I then ride after Lady Cecile, hoping she hasn’t diverged from the path I set her on.
♠ ♠ ♠
*yyooouuuu'rrrreeee
and well worth it on my end. I hope the readers enjoyed it as well.
criticism is appreciated, any help or edits or comments. you can make our writing better. and of course we will return the favor.