Status: Thoughts?

Forever Should Last Longer, Don't You Think?

Chemistry

I've never needed anyone. There was no one person who could do more for me than I could do for myself.

And so I became the person I am today. Loudmouthed, opinionated, ornery.

That was who I was. And I didn't plan on changing.

I made no effort at making friends; either people liked me or they didn't.

I was not the type to giggle and share secrets. I dealt with every situation pragmatically, leaving nothing to guesswork.

Romantic relationships were only a figment of the imagination I didn't have and any other relationship was evaluated only to find the personal gain.

I felt nothing. I was so painfully nonchalant that nothing could hurt me.

I only felt at home with my music. Somewhere between the first note and the last chord I found myself and lost myself. All at once.

I was walking past the choral room on my way home. And that's when I heard the voice.

His voice.

"And I'd give up forever to touch you, because I know you can feel me somehow."

His voice was diaphonous and yet so strong, exactly the way the song was meant to be sung. With a longing that could only be felt by someone who was truly in love.

I acted spontaneously and on a whim, walking quietly into the room and sitting down at the piano. I began to play as he sang.

He turned around, obviously surprised. I continued playing. "Keep singing," I told him.

He looked at me with a puzzled expression. I reiterated my point. "Keep singing,"

He continued the song. "You're the closest to heaven I'll ever be. And I don't wanna go home right now."

I let him continue singing, not joining in until he neared the end. I sang with him, harmonizing.

"And you can't fight the tears that ain't coming. Or the moment of truth in your lies. When everything feels like the movies. Yeah, you bleed just to know you're alive,"

It was surreal how well our voices blended. "I just want you to know who I am."

I ended the song with a short piano solo, letting my fingers linger on the keys.

"Wow," the boy said. I looked up, finally realizing what I'd just done.

He sat down next to me on the piano bench. "So what's your name, Mystery Girl?"

I sighed. What had I gotten myself into? "Lillian. Lillian Wright."

"Well, I'm Emmett," he practically sang. He was way too happy. "Emmett Craig."

I stood to leave. "Well, it was nice meeting you, Emmett."

"It was nice meeting you, too, Lilly!" He was all smiles. I almost hated to correct him.

"It's Lillian," I said, my face set resolutely.

"Whatever you say, Lill," Emmett responded, winking.

I rolled my eyes and held out my hand. He pulled me in close and hugged me.

"I hope to see more of you," he whispered in my ear.

I didn't respond, but turned and exited the room.

But from that moment on, it was all downhill. Something left him in my thoughts. I tried to convince myself that it was only the music. After considering it for a while, I realized that I was right.

Because music is an equation, a recipe.

Every lyric, every note, every chord is a part of something greater. It's all some sort of... experiment.

And he and I had a connection, a relationship that could only be satisfied by the verses of forever.

He and I had chemistry.

Forever musical,
Lillian
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics credit: Iris by the Goo Goo Dolls. Check it out! It's amazing!

I would love to hear what you have to say!

XOXO,
E ♥