Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Brandon Sutter- hockey player, famous, rich, playboy, new to Pittsburgh. He's got no clue what he should be doing.

Mackenzie Lawrence- journalist, mother, single, Jordan Staal's best friend, born and raised 'Burgher. Knows exactly where her life is going.

Needless to say, Mackenzie Lawrence isn't happy to see her best friend leaving in exchange for Brandon Sutter. Brandon Sutter isn't too thrilled about being in Pittsburgh. When Mackenzie is tasked with writing another piece on the Penguins after her Stanley Cup article was so well received 3 years ago, she's happy to be back with the boys. With the exception of Brandon, of course.

Brandon doens't take too warmly to Mackenzie either. She seems to have everything he doesn't know he wants. A family, a job she actually loves, friends that happen to be a second family. He's lost in the Steel City.

Through months of writing, tears, blood, sweat, and joy, Mackenzie just might be able to show Brandon what he's missing.

Written for this contest using the prompt: What is the Meaning of Life?

WOOHOOO!!! I won 4th place with this story! Thanks for all your feedback!

(I do not own Brandon Sutter, the Pittsburgh Penguins, anyone affiliated with them (past or present), or the Pittsburgh Post- Gazette. However, I do own Mackenzie, her family, and her plot. No touchy-touch!)

Rating Note: It'll start as PG-13, but it could change.
  1. Chapter 1
    Mackenzie gets her newest assignment...
  2. Chapter 2
    Mackenzie and Brandon meet...
  3. Chapter 3
    Getting reacquainted....
  4. Chapter 4
    Practice time...
  5. Chapter 5
    Mackenzie goes for a run with the boys...
  6. Chapter 6
    Mackenzie and Brandon get some unexpected surprises...
  7. Chapter 7
    Dinner Q&A....
  8. Chapter 8
    After dinner...
  9. Chapter 9
    Brandon and Mac notice some things...
  10. Chapter 10
    Brandon meets his family- and not in the way you think...
  11. Chapter 11
    Mac and Brandon and emotions- yikes...
  12. Chapter 12
    That pang in Brandon's chest? Yeah, about that...
  13. Chapter 13
    Going with the flow...
  14. Chapter 14
    Uncontrollable feelings...
  15. Chapter 15
    Time to spill the beans... kind of...
  16. Chapter 16
    Mrs. Lawrence appears...
  17. Chapter 17
    Mac is left helpless...
  18. Chapter 18
    At the press conference...
  19. Chapter 19
    Brandon confesses... Too bad she doesn't hear...
  20. Chapter 20
    Mac and Brandon are both hoping...
  21. Chapter 21
    Mac comes home...
  22. Mackenzie's Article