Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Chapter 16

“Good luck,” Mac kissed Brandon’s cheek later that night. “Score me a goal.”

“Don’t I always?” Brandon smirked before pressing his lips to hers.

Laughing, she pulled away. “I’ll talk to you later, okay? Jake and I will be waiting by the back door.”

“No interviews?”

Mac shrugged. “I’m going to try and talk with Flower a bit; I haven’t gotten much on him. But I can always just meet him for coffee tomorrow.”

“Should I be jealous that you’re spending so much time with my teammates?” he quirked an eyebrow.

“Yes,” she deadpanned. “I’m secretly in love with Sidney.”

Brandon stared at her.

Flashing him her signature ‘you’re-an-idiot’ face, she shook her head. “Relax. Just go win. I want bragging rights over Jordan.”

****

And bragging rights she got. The Penguins ended the third period with 5-3 victory.

“Good game, Jordy,” Mac smiled to her friend. “Your first hat trick as a Cane. That’s exciting.”

The blonde nodded. “It was weird being on the other end of the face off.”

Mac laughed. “I’m sure it was. But really, good job. I’m proud of you.”

“Thanks, Mac,” Jordan smiled knowingly. “Sutter’s watching you. I suggest you go see your boyfriend.” And without another word, he ducked into the locker room.

“What? Jordan! Ugh, Heather. You big mouth!” she groaned before face palming.

****

“Where’s Jake?” Brandon asked as he and Mac walked to the back door.

“My mom showed up in the second period,” she sighed. “She’s got him right now. They’ll meet us at the apartment.”

“Why’s she always butting in?” he asked pulling her into his side.

“She thinks I can’t do it, that someone else has to,” Mac muttered into his shoulder.

“Hey,” Brandon stopped walking and put his hands on Mac’s shoulders. “Don’t listen to her. She’s got it all wrong.”

“How do you know?” she asked with tears threatening to spill over. “You’ve never raised a child!”

“But I’ve been around my cousins, aunts, and uncles,” he reminded her. “That’s, like, almost three other whole families. You’re a great mom.”

Mac smiled weakly before burying her face in Brandon’s chest.

“She just doesn’t see what I see, what everyone else sees,” he told her. “Trust me, anyone that has ever met you will see that you are a phenomenal mother.”

Looking up at him, Mac pressed her lips to Brandon’s. Letting the kiss heat up, the two were oblivious to the footsteps that were getting nearer.

“Well look at this,” a voice scowled.

Breaking apart and turning around, Mac and Brandon came face to face with Mrs. Lawrence.

“I thought you said your relationship with him was professional,” she said setting her grandson down on the ground.

“Mommy!” the little boy squealed happily as he ran towards her with open arms.

“It is,” Brandon nodded. “We just…” his voice trailed off.

“It doesn’t look very professional,” Mrs. Lawrence scowled. “Mackenzie, do you think it’s wise to get involved in a relationship like this?”

Mac stayed silent, unsure of what to say.

“Oh, that’s right. You probably didn’t think. You probably didn’t worry about consequences, just like you were with Langley! You’re such a foolish girl, Mackenzie. Never thinking of others, never-,” Mrs. Lawrence was cut off by Brandon.

“That’s enough,” he said taking Mac’s hand. “You’re incredibly blind to your daughter, Mrs. Lawrence. You can’t seem to see what an incredible mother, journalist, and friend she is. Jake’s a lucky kid. He’s being raised just right.”

“I don’t think so,” Mrs. Lawrence shook her head.

“Mac doesn’t need to listen to this,” Brandon said and tugged her away. Pulling her into his side, he walked her and her son to their car.

“You sure you don’t want a ride?” he asked.

“No,” Mac buckled Jake in. “You go out with the boys. I just need to sleep.”

“I’ll go back with you, make sure everything’s okay,” Brandon offered.

Mac shook her head. “No, you go. I just… need to decompress.” Kissing his cheek, she smiled sadly. “I’ll see you in the morning.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Mmmmm... drama's a-brewin'. Any ideas? Hahah, I'm sooo evil! *cackles menacingly*.

But on a happy note, today's my 14th birthday! *throws confetti and blows annoying horns* Want to comment and make my day? I'd appreciate it! Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!