Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Chapter 18

"And we think that the fact she was fired for trying to respect our privacy and uphold journalistic values is unfair and just flat out wrong," Sidney said to the media assembled before him and his teammates.

Mackenzie stood in the locker room, watching the press conference taking place in the next room on the television with some other staff members. It had been less than 48 hours since it had happened and each and every member of the Penguins organization had been outraged. Dan, Ray, and Mario had rushed to put together a meeting with the media and all the WAGs had put together the idea of making t-shirts for the boys to wear. Each player and staff member was sporting a gray tshirt with the words 'Bring Mac Back.' emblazoned across the chests. Mac had been told that a shirt had been sent to Jordan and Max as well.

"Mac had our best interests at heart from the first day we met her in 2009. Never once was she an unreasonable journalist," Pascal said. "She and her son became family to us and us to her."

"If she was so perfect," a reporter called out. "Then why was she let go?"

Brandon scowled. "Sidney already explained it. Her editor wanted her to dig up dirt on us and our families. Mac is too good for that; she's better than that."

James nodded. "I haven't known Mac personally very long, but she's one in a million. Each and everyday she makes it a point to say that we're a family to her and that she has our backs. Everyone in this organization has loved working with her and having her around."

*****

Out in the hallway, Mac was being led into the room by Dan. He thought she should see it in person to get the real emotion of it all.

Walking into the back of the media room, she leaned against the wall, hiding. She listened intently to what they all had to say and as each player gave his thoughts on the matter, her heart tightened even more. By the time things came back around to Brandon, Mac was positive she couldn't get any more emotional. She was wrong.

*****

Brandon said almost everything that was on his mind, only leaving out the details that would make it obvious they were together. Despite the fact he wanted everyone to know about them, he knew it wouldn't be best for Mac if he went and said it. Eventually, his eyes found hers and he wouldn't let his gaze go anywhere else.

She was a mess. Mac was wearing jeans, boots, and a cotton blouse that was much too thin for the weather in Pittsburgh and her hair was pulled back. Her makeup was slightly smudged with tears and her hands trembled.

*****

Mac let the tears streak down her face, only wiping them away when they began to make her skin uncomfortable. No cameras were on her and Dan stood protectively by her side. All this was beginning to become too much. Brandon's words had tipped her over the edge. She had to get out of there pronto.

Choking back her tears, she slipped around Dan and out the door. Snatching up her coat and belongings from her former office, Mac took off out the door. She needed to get away. And not just from the press conference, but from Pittsburgh in general. It was getting to be too much. Dialing a familiar number, she hoped he would pick up.

"Jordy," she choked out. "I need you."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo? Thoughts? I have two or three real chapters planned for this and then one at the end that's going to put a creative spin on it. Is this dragging? Please tell me your thoughts on this chapter specifically and/or the story as a whole. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!