Status: Contest entry, let me know what you think!

Family Is All It Takes

Chapter 6

“Come on, Jake,” Mac ushered her son into their apartment building. “I’ve got to get dinner started.”

“Momma, when’s Unca Jordy and Auntie Heath comin’ home?” he asked for what felt like the millionth time.

Mackenzie heaved a sigh as she hefted the young boy’s equipment bag farther up onto her shoulder. “I told you, sweetie. Uncle Jordy and Aunt Heather moved to North Carolina. Uncle Jordy plays for the Hurricanes. That’s their home now.”

“I want Pittsburgh to be’s their home!” he pouted.

“I know you do. I want it to be their home too. But think about this, Uncle Sidney’s going to be here for a long time,” she told him.

The young boy brightened a bit. He really did like being around the young captain. “How long?”

“Another twelve years after this season,” Mac nodded. It was true, just that past summer Sidney had signed a brand, spanking new contract with the Pens. One that would keep him in black and gold for over another decade, something Pens nation was pleased about, Flyers nations was pissed about, and the rest of the league was terrified of.

“When are we going to see Uncle Max?” Jake asked as the got off the elevator.

“Tomorrow night is the game. I’ll have Grammy bring you in and you can see everyone after the press is done. Sound good to you ki-…,” she cut herself off mid-sentence. Standing at the door of the apartment next to her was someone she really didn’t want to be seeing. It was Brandon Sutter. “Honey, go on in. I’ll start dinner in a second okay?”

The young boy bounced off into the apartment in search of his favorite toys.

“What are you doing here?” she asked Sutter.

“What’s it look like, Princess? I live here,” he smirked at her displeased reaction.

“How’s it possible that you’ve been here for months and we’ve never seen each other?” she wondered.

The hockey player shrugged. “Your guess is as good as mine.”

Mackenzie nodded. They were NEIGHBORS. How weird was that? The guy she couldn’t stand, couldn’t bear to be in the same room as, was living next door. It was, in Mac’s opinion, his fault her best friend was traded. Although, she knew that wasn’t the truth. Trades happen in any pro sport. Jordan was just a casualty of their tirade.

“Maybe I’ve been a little harsh on you,” she blurted out. Had she just said that?

“What?” he asked.

“I… should have given you another chance. It’s just… that day in the parking lot wasn’t my best. I was incredibly stressed and I missed my best friend and my cousin and you were just an almost innocent bystander and… yeah. I’m sorry, I guess,” she rambled. It was word- vomit.

Brandon looked a little surprised. “I, well, I guess I should say I’m sorry too. I probably haven’t been helping with the stress.”

“We both have a lot to be sorry for,” Mackenzie nodded. “Listen, for my story, I want to get some individual interviews. You want to work on one now over dinner? I have to cook something for Jake and myself anyway. And by the looks of you, you’re not much of a chef.”

“Should I be offended?” he joked. “But yeah, thanks. I could go for a real meal.”

“Come on in then,” she said opening the door wider. “I don’t think you officially met Jake.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Soooo? What do you think? They've stared patching things over! The next chapter will have a lot of explaining on both Brandon and Mac's parts. You'll get inside their heads a little bit more. And am I the only one that is so insanely thrilled about Crosby!?!? How awesome and wonderful is that? And his yearly salary isn't changin at all. I think that's pretty gracious of him, if I may say so myself. Let me know what's on your minds, lovelies!