It's Time to Be Happy Again

Chapter 10

The smile he gives me is heart warming. Reaching for his hand was the first good thing that had come to my mind as he had poured his heart out. This was a thing that the kids had taught me. Sometimes it's the simple things that work the best. A hug or if that isn't possible, a small touch, give more comfort than anything else because that's the kind of beings humans are; searching for warmth and closeness.

A light pink taint paints his cheeks as he gazes at me and I smile back.

"Don't worry. You don't have to do this on your own. Whenever you need me, you can hit me up. Especially if you need help with Naomi. She's such a sweet girl. I wouldn't mind taking care of her for an afternoon or something," I offer him with a small shrug of my left shoulder.

"Really?" he asks with surprise, his eyebrows shooting up before the smile takes over his expression again.

"I don't want to bother you or anything... But in case of emergencies, that'd be amazing. You really wouldn't mind?"

"Of course not," I reply, putting up a reassuring smile. "How about we get out of her now, hm? I bet your boss would like to lock up now," I mentioned, glancing at the man who stood outside, having taken the chance to smoke but had now proceeded to his car, waiting there, throwing glances at us to hurry us up.

"Oh!" he exclaims, cheeks turning pinkish , clearly having forgotten about the time and jumps up out of his seat.

"Yeah, we should go. I'll just go finish up back there," he motions back and rushes off and I use the time to pack my things, waiting for him at the door.

Apologizing to his boss multiple times, August then follows me to the car and I'm glad it has become a regular thing now, that he doesn't feel like intruding when he takes a seat pn the passenger side.

He talks about Naomi like a mother talks about her child, like a child about a newly bought puppy and doesn't stop until we arrive at his place. I can only agree with him about her being the dear girl she is and it saddens me to think about what the two have been through and what they still are dealing with. Considering the circumstances, they are both amazingly sweet people.

By the time we arrive in front of August's door, it is also agreed that I will be taking Naomi to the zoo this saturday. I have, of course invited him to join us but he'll probably be working. Still, I remind him that he is very welcome to join us if he manages to get out.

"I could meet you there after my shift ends," he then mentions. I know that they need the money so he can't spare the time but I think he also needs a time out to have some fun. And even though the zoo isn't the place someone his age would go to relax and rid of the stress, it will still do.

"It's a date then," I tell him cheerfully, glad I'll be seeing more of his awfully perfect black hair and timid smile.

"A date... Yeah," he mutters, his cheeks coloring as he reaches for the door handle.

"And don't forget to call me if you need something," I remind him, offering another smile, as if I haven't been smiling the whole time.That's when he stops and turns back to me.

"About that..." he starts and leans toward me. Placing a kiss on my cheek, he softly says, "Thanks, again."

And I'm left to sit there in surprise as he flees the scene and walks in, turning back only shortly to give a small wave.

~

The next morning, I am quite looking forward to seeing August again, having worried the whole night about the matter if a kiss on the cheek is how he usually thanks people or if it had been something special. The biggest part of me is hoping that I'm something special to the young male.

My smile brightens on its own account when my two favorite people walk into the class room. Naomi actually comes running over and takes my hand when I crouch down to her.

"Are you really taking me to the zoo?" she bursts out before I can so much as utter a greeting and I chuckle at the enthusiasm burning in her bright blue eyes. Having gotten to know her, she is a very cheerful girl, no fear of showing her big heart. She is just cautious with strangers, nothing wrong with that.

"Man, August is a real meanie. It was supposed to be a surprise!" I tell her and she squeals as she throws her arms around me.

"Yay! Are we going today? Thank you! Oh, please, let's go today!" she says and bounces in place with a grin stretching from ear to ear. I find it hard to shake my head but sadly, I have to.

"In two days, lil' one. Saturday," I explained. "And we'll buy popcorn and ice cream. But don't tell August, that's our secret, okay?" I give her a wink as she gazes at me wide eyed and nods at me eagerly.

"Here he comes. Let me talk to him. Why don't you go over and say hi to Luke?" I point her to a boy she had seemed to become friends with abduction she scampers off as I straighten to go back to eye level with her brother.

"I am going to kill you if you buy her two many sweet stuff. She won't sleep for a week," the young male said with a light groan but it was clear that it was just playful. I grin at him.

"I don't know what you're talking about," I argue with a shake of my head but notice the tired look on his face that he attempts to hide behind a smile. Why didn't he call if he couldn't sleep last night? Or text?

He just smiles in return but his cheeks turn lightly pink when a kind of silence settles between us and he avert his gaze.

"You have no idea how much all this actually means to her," he then says quietly and follow his gaze to the child. All I think to myself is how he doesn't know how muchboth of them have come to mean to me.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took so long! My mental health is kicking my ass, heh. But hey, I hope you like this. I'm not so sure how I feel abou it...

Anyways, thx to everyone for reading! ♥