It's Time to Be Happy Again

Chapter 5

“A small hot tea? Sweetened or unsweetened?” I ask an old lady politely. She took all of 5 minutes to answer. Hurry up, I don’t have all day. Geez. “Erm... sweetened please.” I smiled nicely. “I’ll have that out to you soon.”

I hummed softly moving into the back to get the spacing lady her tea. God, why come to a diner if you’re going to take a hour to order crap? I don’t get it. Sigh, I shouldn’t be so rude-- she was old.

I’ve served really nice people today though. Well... there was that man that tipped me 25 cents. Yup, a quarter.. I brought you a sandwich, dessert and five fucking refills and you give me a quarter?

What a douche canoe.

I gave the lady her tea, asking if she wanted anything to eat. Which she, thankfully, did not. I smiled politely,walking around the counter. Today wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. “August! Costumer at table 4.” a voice yelled from the back. Tony, he was the cook and the owner of the diner. He also was a very nice guy, I had met him a couple of years ago. He was almost as close to me as April was.

I nodded, rushing back to the table only to be greeted by a familiar face. “Mr. Sanders?” The man’s head lifted, a surprised look crossing his features. “August? What are you doing here?” I giggle nervously, “I, uh work here.” His eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

“Shouldn’t you still be in school?” I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, what a teacher thing to say. “No, I actually graduated last year.” If anything, my answer confused him more. “Aren’t you a bit young?” A laugh built up in my stomach and escaped my lips.

“I’m almost 19.” His eyes widen and an unknown emotion passed through them, one I didn’t recognize. Though it was gone as soon it came, he started to chuckle slightly. “Oh god. I’m sorry, I was under the impression you weren’t a day over 16.” My face fell into a soft pout. “Do I really look that young to everyone? Gosh!” I sighed, shaking my head.

“Anyway, what can I get you?” I smiled at him. His eyes trailed over the menu for a second. “Um, could I get club sandwich-- no pickles, with fries and coffee?” He asked me, staring at me with big brown eyes. I couldn’t help but stare, because god they were beautiful.

“Hello?” His voice said softly, breaking me out of my trance. I could feel heat rising to my face. “Yeah! Um Sorry. I get that right away.” I say quickly ducking away into the back . “Tony! I need a club and some fries.” He nodded and got to cooking, while I pour some coffee in a mug.

I took a deep breath bracing my nerves, placing a small smile on my face. “Here you go.” I place the mug down in front of him. “Thanks.” I nodded, going back to the lady at the other side of cafe.

“Would like me to bring you anything else ma’am?” I asked politely. She smiled and shook her head, standing up--handing me a twenty dollar bill. She smiled that sweet old lady smile. “Keep the change sweetie.” I gaped as she shuffled out the door.

Holy hell. She tipped me like eighteen dollars. I guess there are genuinely nice people in this world.

Who knew?

I heard a ‘ting’ in the outstretch of my ears. I sigh softly, grabbing the food from the top of the counter. I set it down gently trying not to spill it on him-- I’ve spilled food on customers before.. trust me they were not happy. And I don’t want to make him hate me! He’ll never talk to me again. He may treat Naomi differently.

But he wouldn’t do that, a part of my mind whispered. I groan slightly, mentally scolding myself. How do I know that? It’s not like we’ve been best buddies for years. Hell I just met this guy today! He could be a creep! You know he’s not, stop lying to yourself.

I sigh in frustration, looking back to Mr. Sanders who had a bemused look on his face from my actions. I could feel myself flush red, again. “Would you like more coffee?” He laughed softly. If I had to put a sound to it, it sounded sort of like angels sighing. I do not shit with you. “Yes I would thank you.” I nodded, running over and grabbing the coffee pot. And like the klutz I am I spilled it. Yep, I spilled it. All over the floor.

The fucking floor in front of his table. God kill me now.

“Oh fuck, Mr.Sanders. I’m so sorry! I didn’t mean to--” He cut me off. “August, it’s fine really. It happens to the best of us. Oh and, call me Dace.” He said bending down, helping me pick up the broken pieces of the coffee pot. “Dace?” I asked stupidly, he chuckled softly. “It’s my name.” I felt my cheeks burn. “Oh.”

My hand slipped, causing a chunk of glass slice across my palm. “Ow.” I hissed, my eyes stinging slightly from the pain. Dace looked at me worriedly, seeing the blood drip down my hand. “Shit, here.” He cursed softly, standing up getting grabbing a napkin pressing it the the cut. I whimpered slightly. “Sorry, but we have to stop the bleeding.” I nodded stiffly.

“August, what happened?” Tony called from behind, “I dropped a coffee pot, and cut my hand trying to pick it up.” I explained, trying to keep the embarrassment out of my voice. It didn’t help when he started laughing, placing his hand on my shoulder. “Only you August. Only you.”
I pouted slightly. “Whatever.”

Tony looked at Dace slightly confused. “Who is this gentlemen that’s keeping you from bleeding out?” I giggled slightly, moving my arm away from the man-- keeping pressure on my palm. “This is Dace. He’s Naomi’s teacher and one of our customers.” Tony nodded smiling slightly, outstretching his arm to Dace, who shook it. “I’m Tony, fine owner of this establishment.”

Dace smiled. “Nice to meet you. Great food by the way, but is all of your staff so clumsy?” He asked in a slightly teasing manner, his eyes flashing over to me. Tony laughed, “Thanks. I try. And no, but our August here is quite special.” I scoff sticking my tongue out at him. “Oy! Stop that. And go home, I’ll get this mess.” I frowned, “But..” He shakes his head. “I was going to close up earlier anyway. My mom wants me home for a family dinner, since I only come and see her once every other week or something.”

I sighed, but nodded none the less. “How much was my bill?” Dace asked Tony, who just shrugged. “It’s on the house, you tried helping him. That says much in my book.” Dace looked like he was going to argue, but Tony kicked us out before he had the chance.

I shivered frowning, The bus was not going to be fun. “Where’s your car?” A voice on my left asked. “April had it, she needed it to pick up Naomi.” Dace nodded, “That black haired girl. Is she your girlfriend?” He asked, a weird expression fitting across his face. I shook my head. “No, she’s my best friend. I’ve known her since birth, so she’s like my sister.” And there’s that little fact that I’m gay too.

“Oh.” Was it me, or did he sound a bit relieved? “Can’t you call her to get you then?” I shrugged, “I don’t want to bother her, she’s done so much for me already.”

The look on his face was a battle, but then he finally smiled-- a truly heartbreaking smile. “Let me drive you home.” Every part of my mind screamed ‘no! don’t do it!’ so I was a bit shocked when one little word fell off my lips.

“Sure.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally! An update. >< I'm sorry dear people.
I had the hugest case of writers block.
Not to mention my computer was being a totaly douche canoe. ._.
BUT! I finished a chapter, and I think it's preety good and I hope you enjoy!

Thank you commentors, recommenders and of course subscribers. You are love. C: