It's Time to Be Happy Again

Chapter 6

Ever since I learned that August worked at that certain diner just a few streets off from where I lived, I couldn’t resist but to go there more often just to see him. Of course, I never mentioned that he was the reason of my frequent visits. I always had some kind of excuse, like simply being too lazy to cook something myself or that I was too exhausted from teaching a first grade class. But the kids really weren’t all that bad. They could be tiring at times but I never saw them as little monsters like some people called them. Especially Naomi was an angel. All thanks to August, no doubt.

He was such a nice boy. And he tried so hard. I have no idea what I meant to him – if I had any kind meaning to him except for being his little sister’s teacher. I doubted it. But he treated me nicely and respectfully, so that every time I would gaze in his eyes I would always read in more to his words. He could say the simplest thing and I could imagine it having some kind of hidden meaning just for me.

Carrying a coffee pot in his hand – such a familiar sight – he came walking toward me and poured me a cup, smiling brightly. “Here you go,” he said cheerfully and I heard it as: “Here you go.”

“Anything else?” he asked and I was tempted to say yes even though I didn’t want anything more to drink or eat today. I wanted him to keep coming back to me. I wanted him. But this was becoming something too serious in my mind. Like an unhealthy obsession. I wasn’t allowed to let myself get involved with August. He wasn’t underage, which removed that obstacle but I still couldn’t warm up to the idea. Things would get complicated. And anyway, he could most definitely find himself someone better around here.

“No. Thank you, though,” I smiled back at him and I watched him slowly go to some other customers, talking to them with the same bright smile and light tone. I had taken my papers with me to work here because I was tired of being home all the time, so I took those out and started working.

Before I knew it, it was getting late and the time came around to close the diner. With a glance at the weather outside, my fear that the weather would be getting worse, was determined. The light gray sliver of clouds had turned nearly black and were just piling up on one another. A light drizzle accompanied the strong wind. Everyone had already left so they would be home by the time the worst of the storm started. I was the only one left and hurried to pack my things so I wouldn’t stall the owner and August any longer.

I did know that he didn’t have a ride home though so I waited for him at the exit, I looked around the place with its crème colored walls and bright pictures. One of them had a dove painted on it, flying carelessly through the clouds with a note bound to its foot. It made me wonder what kind of message the peaceful bird was carrying. It could be a love note or the news of someone’s death.

The tables were a pearly white, cleaned by August just minutes ago, who now came out, while pulling his jacket on along the way. A look of surprise lined his face when he saw that I was still here. But I started talking before he had a chance to.

“I can’t let you walk home in this weather,” I told him. A smile spread on his lips.

“Thanks,” he said quietly, almost shyly it seemed and I held the door open for him before we ran for my car. Inside, I turned the heat up a bit before I started driving the familiar route. I had taken him home a few times by now because I didn’t like the thought of him having to walk all the way home after a day of hard work. I also obviously didn’t mind spending more time with him either.

Within the next minute or so, the rain had turned into an aggressive downpour, causing slippery roads and traffic. It was alright, though, until we heard the sirens somewhere in town. It could only mean some kind of accident, we were both aware of that. And at first, my only worry was that someone wasn’t hurt all too seriously. Car accidents are the top reason for injury deaths after all. Rain certainly didn’t make the roads a safer place.

I chatted with August about lighter topics, nothing important really and it was nice. But as time progressed, we came to a standstill between the other cars and we slowly ran out of things to talk about. We were both pretty tired too. It was a Friday evening and all I wanted to do, was get home, make myself a cup of tea and watch a movie until I fell asleep.

That wasn’t going to be happening any time soon, it seemed.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm really sorry i took so long! Dx
and that this is so short and sucky...

it's just school (two major exams this week) and shit and my stupid mind and i dunno :[
anyway, thanks tons to anyone and everyone who's still with us and especially for the comments! x3

tell me what you think? (it's kind of a filler chapter, i guess)