It's Time to Be Happy Again

Chapter 7

The silence that fell on the car, set an uneasy mood. My eyes swept across Dace, he's slumped towards the steering wheel. I could practically see the toll that chasing first graders around all day took on him. Maybe it was more than that though, he seemed to come to the diner more and more often, maybe there was something he was running away from at home. I could relate to that.

"Must be a pretty bad accident." I said finally, shattering the quiet, I didn't like silence, it reminded me of all my sleepless nights.

He hummed his agreement, but never actually spoke.

Despite my self, I relaxed, his company actually put me at ease. Maybe it was just nice to know that there was someone other than myself looking out of Naomi's best interests, that I didn't have to be super brother all the time.

"Do you mind?" I ask, a hand reaching towards the radio.

He shook his head. I fiddled about on the dial for a few moments before settling on song soft rock song I'd never heard before. Course, I imagine there was a lot of music I'd yet to hear, my life had become so consumed by taking care of Naomi and working and moving, I couldn't even tell you any major even that happened in the news recently.

I let out a long sigh as I settled back into the seat, trying to find the most comfortable position for the wait.

"Tired?"

I nodded, eyes half closed, I needed sleep, but I knew it wouldn't come.

"You can nap, I'll wake you when we get there." He smiled so softly and genuinely it wasn't hard to smile back.

"Can't." I glanced towards him with a slight frown tugging my smirk down.

"Oh? Seat too uncomfortable?"

I shake my head, "No, can't sleep any where."

"Oh?" He seemed intrigued, maybe even made happy by that statement, "Me neither."

The rest of the ride was silent, the traffic would lurch forward for just a few moments then slow back to a stand still. My mind was flooded with metaphors of the tide and I wondered if Dace thought the same. He was, after all, a teacher, weren't they the one always trying to get you to find metaphors in ever day things?

He did only teach first graders though, I don't think symbolism had really come into play yet.

We pulled up in front of my new driveway, and I gave Dace a small, but thankful smile.

"Hey wait," He reaches out gripping my wrist lightly, I'm overly aware how warm each finger is and of every point of contact.

I stop, one leg on the shining wet pavement, the other still anchored in the car. I turn towards him waiting expectantly.

He pulled out a small slip of paper and a pen, takes a moment to scrawl something on it, the dim street light causes him to lean in as he writes, just so he can see every curve and straight of the ink.

"Here." He finally says, stuffing the pen back into his pant pocket and extending the paper out to me, "Maybe we can keep each other company during those sleepless nights."

I curse the dirty place my mind goes, but take the paper any way, "Uh thanks."

"You can, uh...call, or text, or what ever..." His eyes refuse meet mine, "if you want I mean."

"Yeah." It's such a lame reply, but I'm so tired, I step the rest of the way out and shut the door lightly.

"Auggie!" Naomi exclaims as I open the door.

"What're you doing up?" I ask concerned, she was normally up when I got home, but I was so late tonight, it had to be a good hour passed her bed time.

"She wouldn't go to sleep till she got to see you." April informs me from where she's perched, leaning against the kitchen door way.

"Is that true?" I smile down at the little girl who wraps her arms around me tightly and smiles proudly, "Alright, but it's off to bed now, you have school tomorrow."

She obediently heads of towards her room, dropping my bag off on the couch I trail behind. I enter the room to find her pulling the covers and stuffed animals up all around her, until she's practically cocooned in the mass of stuffing and fabric.

"Auggie?"

"Yes?" I sit down beside her.

"Who gave you a ride home?"

"Ah, that would be Mr. Sanders."

"Oh," I watch as her adolescent brain tries to figure out why I'm seeing her teacher after school, "Are you two friends?"

Are we? I don't know what to call us, acquaintances certainly, but friends?

"Yeah, I guess we are." I answer hesitantly.

"Well that's good." She states matter of factly, yawing just after she does.

"Why is that?"

"Cause you need more friends." Her eyes fall closed, leaving me to presume the conversation is over.

I must be in quite a sad state of affairs to have a six year old telling me I need more friends. Course, making friends was easy for them they just had to share a cookie or let the other one go down the slide first at recess. Being an adult was a lot more difficult.

I kissed Naomi's forehead and then made my way into the kitchen. It seems April had gone to bed as well. Looks like I'd be spending another night alone.

The note Dace gave me burns in my pocket as I heat up some left over Chinese food.

Should I text him? No.

I watch as the minutes tick by, and I eat my dinner alone.

Should I text him? No.

The minutes turn to an hour and I'm no closer to falling asleep.

Should I text him? Yes.

I pull out my phone and send him the simplest I can think of, Hey, It's August
♠ ♠ ♠
Hi everyone! My name is CptLollipop and I will be writing the chapters from August's POV from now on, I hope I do a good job and would appreciate any feedback.