Not a Monster

Remind Me

Clint let his hands slide over her skin, feeling the softness of it under all the calouses. He sighed, letting himself have just a moment more of peace with her in his arms. She stirred and smiled sleepily up at him. "Hi," she whispered.
He smiled in return. "Hi," he answered, still letting his hands touch the silkiness of her cream colored skin. "You feel so soft," he muttered. "I love how soft you are."
She sighed, placing a hand on his chest. "You're doing it again, Clint," she told him. "You're acting like you're a monster."
"Chloe, the bed we're laying in right now? I can afford it because I kill people for a living. I shoot them and they don't even know who killed them until there's an arrow buried in them," he told her.
"Clint Barton," she said sternly. "If you hadn't killed some low life drug lord, I'd be dead right now. You need to stop thinking about the people you've killed and think about the people you've saved. Think about all those people you saved when you killed those monsters that were part of Loki's army."
"I killed a lot of good, innocent people under Loki's control," he retorted. "If I hadn't been so damn good at shooting people down before he took me over, those people would still be alive today."
"You're the infamous Hawkeye, capable of shooting a moving target without looking at it, a renowned spy, an Avenger, and a legendary agent of S.H.I.E.L.D. Clint, that sounds like people know you for more good than being Clint, that guy Loki took over. You've killed a few men, but how many people have you saved? You helped save the entire planet by defeating Loki," she insisted.
Clint didn't respond, just stared into the distance, even in the dark, he was capable of making out every detail. She sighed, pressing closer against him. "Clint, give this up. Stop ruining happy moments with this nonsense. I know it's hard, knowing you've taken someone's life, but you have to think of all the good you've done. Clint, if you hadn't killed that awful drug lord who held me hostage, I'd be dead, and we wouldn't be here right now."
He sighed, kissing her head. "I love you too much to think about that what would have happened if I hadn't taken that shot."
Chloe smiled slightly. "Now put that on a wider basis, and you know how much good you've done. You're not a monster, Clint," she assured him.
"You'll just have to keep reminding me that," he whispered, resigned.