Take Good Care

Yesterday

“Do you think he’ll come mama?” Sarah Mae asked smiling hopefully from her hospital bed.

“You’ll just have to wait and see,” her mom whispered holding back the tears. She had gone through a lot of trouble to get in contact with him and she was still amazed that he agreed. She could only pray her daughter would hold on for another week.

When she was born little Sarah Mae had to be rushed to into surgery. Her heart had a hole. They fixed it but she would always have trouble.

A year ago the trouble got to be too much to bare.

She was okay with it though. She got the chance to live and that was enough for her. But her one wish, the only thing she wanted before her time came, was to hear Sir Paul McCartney sing for her.

Her mom raised her on The Beatles. Her favorite album being Help accompanying her favorite song, Yesterday.

Once she asked her mom why they weren’t making music anymore. She was upset for a week to hear that they had broken up and two of the members had passed on. Her mom liked to believe that was why her daughter was so okay about dying. She’d be able to meet the two legends.

A soft knock sounded through the room snapping the attention of the two ladies towards the doorway. Dr. Joshua Grant had come to check up on her.

He was her favorite doctor. He did his best to make her laugh and feel comfortable. Sometimes at night he would smuggle her some chocolate and they’d watch an episode of House together.

Sarah Mae liked the show. Dr. House always cheered her up. She wasn’t sure why. Maybe because he was always saving people. And even though she knew she couldn’t be saved, she hoped.

“Josh!” she cheered bouncing up and down. The oxygen tubes around her face came sliding off.

“Calm down Sarah Mae,” her mother commanded, worried she was overexciting herself.

“It’s okay Mrs. Larensky. She’ll be fine,” he assured going and checking the chart at the bottom of her bed. “How are you feeling today Sarah?”

“Good, do you think it’d be okay if Mama and I went outside for a walk?” she asked her eyes lighting up at just the thought.

The sun had just reached its’ peak in the sky and the few clouds were skirting around it.

“I don’t see why not,” Dr. Grant said smiling. He had been Sarah Mae’s doctor for a couple of months now and had grown close to her. He would be saddened when she passed.

“See Mama, I told you he’d say yes!” Sarah Mae climbed out of her bed and into her wheelchair.

“Alright.” Standing up and going behind her daughters wheelchair she began to push. “But I don’t want to be out there too long.”

Rolling her eyes Sarah just pointed forward. As long as she got to spend a little time outside she’d be happy.

Stopping underneath a tree Mrs. Larensky smiled to see how happy her daughter was.

“Is Daddy coming by later?” Sarah suddenly asked. He was always uncomfortable around her, fearing she’d double over and die. But he would never stop seeing her. Everyday after work he’d come and they’d have a hour to themselves.

“Already here Sweetpea,” Mr. Larensky said coming to sit next to her. Ever since she was a little girl he’d called her that. “I see Dr. Grant allowed you to come outside today.”

“Of course he did!” Sarah exclaimed throwing her arms into the air. “So Daddy, do you think he’ll come?”

“I hope so,” he replied hugging her to him. “If not, I’ll sing for you.”

“I’d rather die,” Sarah joked but immediately regretted it. She saw the pain flash through her dad’s eyes and sighed. “I’m sorry Daddy.”

Giving her a weak smile he kissed the top of her head. “It’s okay. I know I’m terrible.”

Pushing him away from her Sarah looked over at her mother but she wasn’t there. Furrowing her eyebrows she turned back to her dad. “Where’d Mama go?”

“Alex’s school called,” he said and Sarah laughed.

“He got in trouble again didn’t he?” she asked and Mr. Larensky nodded.

Alex was her older brother. The situation hit him with a two ton truck and ran over him. Needless to say he had been acting out for the last three weeks; punching other kids, skipping class, talking back at the teachers.

“What’s he gonna do when I’m gone?” she whispered looking up at her dad with tears in her eyes. “I don’t want him to blame himself.”

“He doesn’t blame himself,” he started looking up to the sky. “He just… He doesn’t understand why it has to be this way.”

“It’s not like I can fix it! It’s not like I wanted this,” she shouted the tears finally pouring from her eyes. “I’m going to die and he’s going to continue to destroy himself!”

Feeling her chest start to contract and her eyes start to close she almost didn’t hear her dad tell her that everything would be okay. If only she could believe that.

***


Walking into the hospital the well known man smiled politely to the people in the waiting room. “Do any of you know how to get to the seventh floor?” he asked.

“Uh,” an older woman said, “you go, you go to, you go that way and take a right then you’ll find the elevator.”

“Thank you,” he spoke and left the room. Making his way in the direction the woman had told him he took a deep breath.

His manager had come to him a week ago with the story of a little girl who had been in the hospital for the last few months and was not getting any better. Her only wish was to have him sing for her. A wish he knew he could grant.

Hearing the ding of the elevator Sir Paul McCartney stepped on. Another woman on board was staring at the floor occasionally taking sips from her coffee.

“Seventh floor or…?” Paul asked surprising the woman.

Looking up she dropped her coffee. Apologizing, she nodded to him. “Sorry, I just, I didn’t, you…”

Laughing Paul nodded. “If you want I could sign something for you,” he suggested holding up a marker.

“No, no,” she said refusing.

“Okay, no worries,” Paul replied staring up at the numbers to see how close they were. “Seeing a relative?”

Nodding she too looked up at the numbers. “My mom, she’s been in here a week but she gets out tomorrow. I’m bringing her some clothes.”

“Give her my best wishes then,” he said picking his guitar back up from the floor. “Nice to meet you.”

Walking up to the nurse’s station Paul wandered how the little girl was doing. He knew she didn’t have much longer and he hoped that he could make one of her last days be wonderful.

“Hi, I’m here to see Sarah Mae,” Paul said smiling.

Glancing up to the new visitor the nurse just shook her head. “I’m sorry sir, Sarah Mae passed away a couple of days ago.”

“Oh,” was all he said. “Would you be able to tell me where I could find her parents then? I was suppose to come and sing for her today.”

“Mr. McCartney?” A man asked catching sight of him. “I’m Dr. Grant, I was Sarah’s doctor.”

“Nice to meet you,” Paul said shaking the doctor’s hand. He felt horrible that he was too late. He smiled anyway.

“If you want I can call her parents and tell them that you came,” Dr. Grant offered. “They were really hoping she’d hold on for this.”

Looking down to his feet Paul nodded. “I was really hoping I’d be able to get here in time as well.”

Telling him he’d be right back Dr. Grant walked off to his office and dialed the phone number he had long since memorized.

Going back to the nurse’s station Paul asked if he could do a little something for the patients.

Smiling up to him the nurse thought for a moment. “I think we can get something together. Do you have a time frame or are you free all day?”

“I’ve cleared my schedule up,” Paul replied looking up to see Dr. Grant walking back towards him.

“So Mr. and Mrs. Larensky said that they’d love to talk with you,” Dr. Grant said giving him a piece of paper. “They have plans to go over funeral arrangements today but tomorrow they said that you’re more than welcome to stop by.”

Nodding Paul turned back to the nurse who had called for him. “In half an hour lunch will be served and a lot of patients will be down in the cafeteria. The director said he’d be willing to have a small stage set up for you.”

Telling her that’d be great Paul was directed to where he could talk to the director of the hospital. Even though he couldn’t make one of Sarah’s last days wonderful he could cheer up some of the other patients.

“Hello everyone,” the director said. “Today was going to be a special day for one of our patients that passed away a couple of days ago. Many of you I know knew her, and some of you knew that she wanted more than anything for someone to come and sing for her.” Pausing the director smiled as he looked around the room. “That person has come today and since he can’t sing for her he’d like to sing for you. Please give a warm welcome to Sir Paul McCartney.”

Stepping off the stage the director watched as Paul situated himself on a stool. Bringing the microphone to his mouth he spoke, “Hello.” Hearing a round of welcome’s Paul smiled. “Like Mr. Ranner said I came here to sing for someone, Sarah Mae. Sadly she has passed on and here I am.” Strumming a few notes on his guitar Paul took a deep breath. “I’d like to sing you guys a few songs. This one, a few friends wrote with me and it’s called In My Life.”

***


Knocking lightly on the door Paul turned to look at the swing set sitting on the front lawn. It was one of those kinds you got at Wal-Mart and set up yourself.

Hearing the door open he turned and saw a young boy. “Hi, I’m Paul, I’m here to see --”

“I know who you are, come on in,” the young boy said stepping aside. “My parents are right through there.” He pointed to a doorway that looked like it lead to the kitchen.

Thanking him Paul made his way through the stranger’s home. “Hello?” he called out knocking on the doorframe. “Your son let me in.”

Getting up to greet him Mrs. Larensky gave a sad smile. “Thank you for coming. I’m sorry that you didn’t get to meet Sarah Mae.”

Nodding in acknowledgement Paul wasn’t sure what to say. Looking around the room he noticed the pictures scattered on the kitchen table. “Picking one out?”

“Yeah, we can’t decide though. It’s just so hard to believe she’s gone,” Mr. Larensky spoke up. “She was such an angel and now she really is one.”

“My condolences,” Paul said finally. Looking at the pictures he understood why the couple was having such a hard time choosing. They were all beautiful. “If I may,” Paul spoke picking one up. “This one brings out the life in her eyes.”

Biting her lip Mrs. Larensky nodded and excused herself. Here was the man Sarah Mae wanted to meet so badly and she was gone.

“Sorry, she’s just…” Mr. Larensky trailed off looking out the glass door window. “We were wandering if you were free, if you’d play at her funeral.”

“I’d love to,” Paul stated setting down the photograph. “Mr. Larensky, I’m sure you’ve heard this and know this but it does get easier. Time goes on and you heal.”

Nodding Mr. Larensky turned to the doorway when he heard a scoff; Alex.

“Seriously? You’ve got to be kidding me. Time goes on blah, blah, blah. I just lost my sister, and if I’m correct you’ve never lost a sibling! You don’t know what this is like, all you are is some washed up singer,” Alex shouted and ran off before anyone could say anything.

Looking to the floor Paul just sighed. The boy was hurting, he didn’t mean it personally.

“When’s the funeral?”

“Tomorrow,” Mr. Larensky answered a heavy sigh falling from his lips. “I’m sorry about him.”

“It’s okay. I completely understand. I’ll be there tomorrow,” Paul said and made his way out of the house.

***


Walking into the church Paul quietly sat down in the back. The service hadn’t started yet but he didn’t want to bring any attention away from Sarah Mae until he had to go up and sing.

Mr. Larensky spotted the old singer and excused himself from a group of friends to come greet him. “Thanks for coming.”

“My pleasure,” Paul replied. “I was wandering, what was her favorite song?”

“Yesterday,” Mr. Larensky replied biting his lip. “That was the song she was going to ask you to play for her.”

“Thank you,” Paul said and went to sit back down.

Throughout the service Paul luckily went unnoticed. Finally Mr. Larensky walked up to the podium and said a few words. Telling the room how full of life his daughter was, how she loved going outside and watching the birds, and how she loved music, specifically The Beatles. He went on to say how heartbroken she was to hear that they were no longer together and how she wasn’t afraid to die because John and George were sitting up there and they’d welcome her.

“And finally, I’d like to ask a friend to come up. He was suppose to sing for her before she passed but she didn’t make it. So Paul,” Mr. Larensky spoke, stepping away from the podium.

Walking up the aisle Paul bowed his head to the family. “Hello,” he spoke once he got up to the microphone. “Earlier I asked Mr. Larensky what Sarah Mae’s favorite song was. He informed me that she like the song Yesterday.” Pausing Paul looked around at the faces. Tear tracks ran down most of them.

“I wish that I could have made it here sooner. I wish that Sarah could hear this with you today, but I do believe she can still hear. And in a way she is still here as well.”

Taking the guitar that was stuck under the podium Paul gently strummed a few chords. Hearing that it was tuned he began the song. And when he finished he quietly whispered, “Take good care of her guys.”
♠ ♠ ♠
comments?