The Love You've Claimed Was Just a Whisper

Falling Up

A week had passed since the release of Things That Never Were and four of the seven songs had hit the top 100 including Standing Still which hit number 1 on the second day. The others included Moments #9, Mile and Miles #15, and Once Upon a Time #65. Shock and awe doesn't quite express what it feels like to see those numbers attached to my songs. I didn't have any record deal or any offers yet, but I do have a DJ set tomorrow night and a new mix to create given this new information. It wouldn't be to terrible i knew to open with Once Upon a Time and close with Standing Still while the middle was a mash up of everything else I had released.

"Why are you up so late?" Jordan asked from the doorway of my studio.

"Mixing. Or well preparing to mix. Why are you at my house so late?" Jordan shrugged.

"What's up?" Myles asked poking his head in as well.

"Can I help you gentlemen?"

"We wanted to see if you had any butter or eggs." Jordan said nonchalantly. I would have been more surprised by this if it wasn't for the fact that they lived less than a block from mine and Jade's house and have on more than one occasion been too lazy to drive to the store before it closed.

"Yea, well I have eggs the butter is all Jade." I said spinning around in my chair.

"New mix?" Myles asked nodding to the current configuration I had prepped to synchronize in Ableton. I nodded in response.

"Almost I'm still tweaking a few things."

"Nice."

"I wanna hear it when your done." Jordan said before disappearing down the hall to the kitchen followed by Myles.

"I want breakfast in the morning then!" I yelled after them. Of course breakfast was actually more like lunch in terms of their sleep schedule on most days. Mine to for that matter. I woke up before 11:30am for three things: concerts, school, and the occasional family visit when my brothers were home. Its not that I didn't enjoy the morning, but more of the fact that I partied from Thursday - Saturday or performed depending on bookings, and I didn't have to be at work before 1:00 p.m. I work at a tattoo shop as receptionist with Jordan whose an apprentice. It was also not all that uncommon for me to stay up until 4:00am making music or creating the perfect performance mix.

"Whatever," Jordan called, "See you tomorrow."

"Later!" Myles yelled "And thanks!" I chuckled inwardly. Myles was definitely the sweetest one in our group of bitches and assholes. I could only imagine what people thought of us when we all went out in public. On second that I'm sure I know and its quite amusing.

I messed with the tracks a while more until i could see the sky starting to lighten signalling that I needed sleep.

~Swallow a little of that sea,
Now taste a little bit of that salt in me,
Throw up a little of it on your knees,
Now doesn't that bring you back to the beginning?
Before you poured your elements away,
Now sink back to the bottom of it all.
Swallow a little of that sea,
Now taste a little bit of that salt in me,
Throw up a little of it on your knees,
Now doesn't that bring you back to the beginning?~

Sometime around 10:30 am my phone rang and it was a genius idea to use Mora as my ringtone. I could never be mad after hearing Sonny's singing voice.

"What Jordan?" I asked half asleep clinging to what remained of my dreams.

"Do you want breakfast or not?"

"Seriously?" I had been joking about the whole breakfast thing, but I'm not one to look an effort free meal in the face and say just kidding.

"Yea we're cooking so get over here. Oh and bring Jade since apparently we're feeding everyone... And I owe you eggs" So Jade and I were feeding everyone eggs at least.

"Alright." I said hanging up. At least food was involved, so six hours of sleep was fair in exchange. I signed and made my way into the bathroom to shower and do my usual make up and hair routine before heading into Jades room.

She was still asleep as usual for this hour. Well this was going to be fun. I stepped out of her room and silently made my way into my studio for my speakers and set them next to her headboard set for oh half power (loud enough to vibrate the windows) and plugged in my iPod and searched for the perfect wake up song. Oh yea Kyoto will do just fine. I smiled pressing play and diving for the hall where I wouldn't be deaf and could run for my life.

"Aaliyah Nikkole Gates!!! I'm going to KILL you!" She screamed as I heard the music suddenly die. I was down the hall by then and heading for the door.

"Boy made breakfast!!" I yelled running out the door and down the block. It was moments like these that made me appreciate taking up track in high school. I could out run most people and when they were ready to kick my ass it came in quite handy. However, I couldn't do much about a locked door and a shrinking gap...other than pound on the door

"What the hell.." you burst through the door and headed for the safety of one of the guys couch cushions and prepared to take on Jade who was about a 10 seconds behind you.

"You are a bitch!" She panted.

"No that would be your karma" I smiled blocking her kick with the cushion.

"You want the boxing gloves" Braden offered Jade.

"Really?" I asked him blocking another attack.

"You just had to open the door didn't you Jordan" Myles said shaking his head.

"I'm going to break that perfect nose of yours" Jade growled grabbing a random pillow and chucking it at your face.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa that's highly unnecessary!" I said

"What the fuck did you do A?" Jordan asked moving back toward the kitchen and away from the now flying objects aimed at my face.

"Skrillex wake up"

"Oh Banagarang?"

"Kyoto"

"Nice."

"I though so too, but this is evidently the repercussions - OW" I said as Jade pegged me in the leg with a grinder. "Anemic you dick! That's gonna bruise like a bitch and I have a show!"

"Your furries will cover it." Jade retorted, but refrained from pelting you with any other objects.

"You done now?" Braden asked crossing his arms.

"Yes. She's maimed enough, and I'm hungry now,"

"Bitch." I said moving into the kitchen to see what breakfast entailed.

"Who made chorizo?" I asked.

"Me." Jordan shrugged.

"Sweet." I smiled grabbing eggs, chorizo, potatoes, and cheese and making a massive breakfast burrito.

"Aw, I want that." Jordan mock whined

"Gimme" I said grabbing his plate and repeating the process before sitting down next to him at the table with a glass of orange juice. I could feel Jordan staring in my direction at that point. "I'm not giving you m orange juice."

"Awe." he whined getting up from his chair.

"Is Tabby eating with us?" You asked Braden who too the spot at the head of the table.

"If she wants."

"Did you tell her?"

"No." you just stared in response waiting for it to click, "I'll be back" she said hopping up and heading for the door. Tabby, his girlfriend lived directly across from the guys, but in the bottom apartment, so texting was actually less convenient in times like this than physical invitations.

"Oh. My. God." Jade laughed staring at me and Jordan. We looked at each other both oblivious to what was so funny about what was happening.

"What?" Jordan asked.

"You're serious, you can't see whats so funny?" we just stared at her.

"Look at yourselves," I complied and observed my attire, I was in a red plaid tunic shirt , black skinny boot cut jeans and white vans. Nothing funny about it. "Now," she instructed, "Look at each other." I stared at Jordan who was in black vans, khaki skinny jeans and a red flannel..... Ooohh.

"Nice outfit." Jordan smiled.

"You too sir."

"High-five" I smiled and slapped his hand.

"You two would be okay with that," Jade said rolling her eyes.

"Well we do have impeccable style" I said picking at my food, since I refuse to start eating until everyone is eating.

"Agreed." Jordan laughed as Tabby and Braden arrived.

"Hey guys." she smiled sitting next to Braden evidently not eating just hanging out. "Oh you guys are totally matching right now. That's cute," She laughed. Jordan and I just nodded finally attacking our food.

"Is your set done for tonight yet?" Myles asked.

"No." I smiled shrugging.

"Aren't you like first or some shit?" Jordan asked.

"Second thank you very much....but I still need to be there before the first guy starts. I'll finish it."

"Yea you've got what 12 hours before you go on and like 10 before we have to leave." Myles shrugged, "I have faith in you."

"Oh your playing a show tonight?" Tabby asked.

"Yea at Avalon."

"Oh sick."She smiled.

"You should come if your not doing anything. It should be pretty fun."

"Yeah I'm down." I saw Braden's shoulders slump a little at her excitement. Evidently this was supposed to be a non-girlfriend adventure. oops.

"Well I'm going to go finish my playlist for tonight and I will see you all later." I smiled clearing my plate from the table. I was met with a chorus of goodbyes on my way to the front door. It was actually quite hot out for mid-May, which I hoped didn't mean the AC was going to need extensive use come summer. Worse case I could always hang out at Jordan's and enjoy his air without having to pay. Oh well there was no point in worrying about that now. I still had a mix to write for tonight.

OTHER POV

So far the first DJ was decent, but nothing special. I appreciated that he had enjoyed himself and the crowed had like him, he just wasn't what I was looking for. Not that I had come to the Avalon looking for anything in particular. It was more to enjoy something new. From what I heard the next one up was a producer. The pause to set up verified as much as well as the introduction.

"Hey aren't you the one guy?" Some drunk girl asked.

"Uh I suppose. I'm a guy and there's one of me." I replied slightly amused

"I meant aren't you like a singer or something."

"Sometimes." Her face lit up at my response

"You should buy me a drink" she laughed falling onto the bar stool next to me.

"Sure I guess." I said as the bartender made his way through the crowed seated in front of him. "Get the lady what she wants." I smiled. She seemed excited and mumbled incoherently for what I assumed was a gin and tonic.

"So what made you..." her small talk was drowned out by the start of a fairly whimsical beat and the roar of the crowed. It wasn't so much the cheering that made me want to see the producer as it was the music drawing me in.

"How's everyone doing tonight?" a female voice asked only to be answered by more screams. The loudest being a small group of guys and girls near the standing bar. "I made a new mix for you tonight if your ready for it." The cheering grew louder. I swung around to see who exactly was responsible for this reaction. To my surprise it was a girl in an LED cat masquerade eye mask, long sleeve black cut off top exposing her stomach, sparklie short shorts and what I imagined to be black furries oh and light up fur gloves and hood. "I don't think your ready." she teased placing her hands on the deck and leaning over before gesturing for the crowed to get louder. They complied.

"Play it Bitch." on of the guys from the louder group screamed.
"Yea!" his friend chimed in. I was acutely aware of them only due to our relative proximity.

"Alright, alright," she laughed into her mic, "Lets do this." And with that she dropped her song and the whimsical beat started growing in volume with the excitement of the audience, myself included. Then she dropped it and it was nothing short of amazing. Her whole set was amazing. There was something about the composition that drew you in and wouldn't let you go. I didn't want her to go. I didn't want the set to end. I wanted to stay there watching her sway and dance to the music she had created. She was the complete packaged deal. I couldn't understand how no one had found her yet. Or maybe they did. I was suddenly away of the camera I had in my pocket and the uncontrollable urge to catch the remaining few minutes of her set took over.

Joel should know if she's on a label yet. I'd just have to send this to him later. If she's not then well it wont be long until she is. I smiled to myself as I let the sounds pull me in once more.

"I just want to say you guys are amazing tonight!" She said lowering the sounds to background noise once more. "This is my last song. I saved the best for last for you guys." The crowed erupted with expectation and anticipation for their reward. I suddenly became aware that a majority of this crowed was indeed here for whatever her finale was and not so much for the headliners.

The beat turned over into a heartbeat rhythm, or was it a clock. I wasn't sure, but it was hypnotic and it was slowing. A fleeting beat that was taking me with it. And then if stopped and the crowed was silent, as if everything was standing still afraid to break the ambiance. I stared into her cat mask and she raised her head like she was looking at me too. My heart exploded much in the way I assume everyone else's does when they reach euphoria. Or so I though I was at euphoria until she smiled and shattered the silence with a dubbed out orchestral melody that snapped everyone into a realm of Ecstasy.

When it ended I could still fill my adrenaline running through my body. I had to find that girl. I had to know her.

NORMAL POV

"Thank you all. I love you guys!" I said into the mic and taking a bow, before disappearing for the hub and hurrying to change into normal, for me, club attire. Plus as much fun as it is being a LED cat that mask is hot as fuck and made me thirsty.

"Boo!" I yelled sneaking up behind Myles and hugging him.

"Hey!" he smiled hugging me back.

"I approve." Jordan said nodding.

"Water?" Jade asked smiling.

"God yes!" I smiled grabbing a bottle from Jade. That was the nice thing about having your roommate/best friend bar tend where you performed...free drinks well water and monster at least.

"There she is!" A familiar voice yelled behind me. I smiled and turned to see Brian my brother and a few of his friends.

"Brian!" I squealed hugging him. "Hey Matt, Rob." I smiled hugging them too.

"Shots?" Bri asked.

"Audios?" I asked as Jordan scrunched his face.

"For my baby sister, of course!" he laughed ordering a round for all of us.

"Where's Braden?"

"Last time I saw him he was walking Tabby to her roommates car cause she was K.O.ed." Jade laughed.

"Light weight." I laughed.

"No we're just alcoholics in denial," Jade Said.

"No we're not none of us are over 25 and drink vodka alone in our rooms." I protested.

"Guys I think I just saw Skrillex!" Braden said rejoining our group.

"You would see Jordan's man crush-" Jade began

"That's Dillon Francis, notice his new hair style" you corrected.

"True," Jordan agreed passing out our shots.

"Well he's still on your bang list." She said pointedly. I shrugged taking my glass. I couldn't argue with the truth especially when their was large quantities of photo evidence of my teenage crush on Sonny Moore when he was in From First to Last. And well he was one of the few people on that list that hadn't lost appeal once I turned the legal age of 18, not that I had any real conquests from that list but hey a girl can dream.

"Hey, maybe he's here to sign you to his record label." Rob teased.

"Haha so funny. He's still building that project up, and while I'd be happy to be on it, my hope at present would be to get on Mau5trap." I laughed.

"SHOT TIME!" Bri yelled raising his glass in the center of out little group.

"To Aly! Good fucking show!" Jordan laughed

"To Aly." everyone said in unison to my "To me" cheers.

"Ugah..Not bad." Jordan said cringing a little.

"Sissy." I chided

"You should stop by dad's tomorrow and see me and Ezra's gonna be there too." Brian said taking a drink of my monster.

"Sold!" I half laughed half yawned.

"Go sleep little one, you had a big day." he laughed fluffing up my already teased hair.

"Hey!" I whined swatting his hand and scowling. I wanted to celebrate more, but fatigue was setting in. I poked at Jordan.

"Sleepy?" he asked. I nodded. "Me too. Let's go." he laughed as he proceeded to lead me through the crowed after a quick goodbye. It was about a 15 minute drive from the Avalon to my house since we beat traffic and I knew all the short cuts.

"Couch or bed?" I asked unlocking the front door.

"Your bed?" I shrugged. I'd shared a bed with him before on multiple occasions when there wasn't enough places to pass out without worrying about getting doodled on with sharpie. "Hmm, I don't know yet." he said sitting on the couch while I grabbed another water bottle from the fridge.

"So.." he started.

"Hmm?'

"When your like famous and touring are you going to take me with you?"

"Yea as my bitch." I teased.

"I honestly wouldn't care. I'd be your bitch if I got to hang out with Dillon Francis, Skrillex or Deadmau5."

"I think I'd have to take you, I'd miss you too much to go without you."

"No you wouldn't."

"True I'd still go...But I'd at least fight to take you and Myles with me. I mean I love Jade and she's pretty much set up to be all of our agents/managers one day, but if I could take two it'd be you guys."

"That actually means a lot." I half smiled and patted his head.

"I know. Now I'm gonna sleep and you know where the pillows and blankets are so Goodnight."

"Goodnight."