The Love You've Claimed Was Just a Whisper

Bangarang

There was nothing quite like the rush of having an amazing show or waking up the next day well rested and hangover free. It was quite refreshing to not wake up cursing the light pouring into my room. I might have to remember this fact in the future, like when I hit 27 and am officially only allowed one hangover per couple months. In the mean time I had my two brother to visit and of course work. According to me phone it was 9:35am which meant I could see them for a few hours before work at 1:00pm. Plan decided I headed for my bathroom to get ready for the day.

Since I had work and also had to stop by my parents house where Brian and Ezra were currently residing while in town, I opted for dark wash skinny jeans, black boots and a slightly more conservative black top where you could only see part of the tattoo on my shoulder blade through the cut out portion of the upper back as apposed to my usual Body Electric tank top that was just small enough to show off portions of both my hip tattoos as well as the one previously stated - and that small portion was only visible if my hair shifted the right way. It wasn't that I didn't enjoy looking at them, but more self preservation as my father was not so much a fan of me having them. Brian and Ezra had them too, but they were boys and therefore it was less horrible.

"Where are you going this early?" Jade asked appearing in my door way.

"To see Brian....and Ezra." I said eyeing her expression through the full length mirror were I was assessing my appearance. Jade had a "secret" crush on Ezra and by secret I mean he was the only one who was oblivious, while I had to listen to how hot he was all the time.

"Ezra's home?!" She squealed.

"According to Brian." I smiled turning to face her. "Do you want to come?" I could tell her automatic response was yes, before she realized she still in her pajamas.

"Uh, no." She said in her best impression of a shy 5 year old. "But I expect a full rundown of what he's been up to when you get back." And she was back to normal.

"Yea that's not creepy at all." I teased grabbing my keys. She scowled shifting so I could move past her to the hall. Ezra was my big brother so it was weird to me that any girl liked him; however, after nine years of her having an off and on crush on him it would be weird to not have her accost me with such requests.

My parents house was located in Beverly Park, about a 15- 20 minute drive from Jade and my house on Flores street in West Hollywood. Yes I'm the "rich kid" of my friends, next to Braden whose parents are just stupid rich. And yes I'm spoiled to a degree, my dad helped me and Jade get our little house under the conditions that Jade and I agreed to a rent to own agreement utilities not included.

In case you were wondering that means with our combined effort we would be proud owners of a house at the young age of 65 since we'd already been paying for 3 years. The boys living a block and a half away on Rosewood was coincidence that turned into an added amenity for them and for us on the off chance one of our parents decided to visit we could stash "prohibited" paraphernalia at an external location. Usually meaning the guys would run over with miscellaneous bongs and what not when their parent visited and us dragging our beer pong table over there because classy girls don't drink anything but wine. Ironically wine pong doesn't count in that scenario as Jordan dutifully tried to explain when my mom stopped by for a quite visit. ahem spy mission.

Yes my parents were incredibly odd. I was a daddy's girl much like my brother were his boys. Kelsie was undoubtedly my generations Pamela Lukin-Gates (My family is literally Russian and Finnish with a pinch of German and Spanish). She's the only blonde child in our family much like my mother, she was 5' 8" and lanky and blue eyed. The only difference was her ability to tan while my mother remained translucent. It was the only characteristic she shared with our dad that made my theory that she was only my half sibling invalid. Plus she was your garden variety stereotypical ivy league sorority snob. They had that in common too.

My brothers were middle ground in personality and appearance with their coppery brown hair,tall stature and blue eyes. They were laid back like my dad, partied like me, but enjoyed finer things like my mom; oh and their dinner etiquette was impeccably. I always found this amusing since Ez is an MMA fight and Brian rides dirt-bikes, but I guess it also added to their appeal - that coming from Jade's mouth not mine. As for me I was undoubtedly my father's child. I have his thick and shiny almost black hair, green blue eyes, and I do what I want attitude. Unlike the rest of my family I'm also the runt being 5'4", but at least I'm lean and curvy unlike my sister. The only real tell that I'm my mothers daughter is my tanning difficulty. I assume that Kelsi had a similar illegitimacy theory about me, that was similarly shot down.

I never did understand my family dynamic very well. I'm guessing by the time I was born both my parents had their hands full with everyone else and didn't care too much about what I did as long as I didn't do anything stupid....it was rare, but it happened. The one thing I did understand was our ability to pick houses. My childhood home was still as desirable as always. It was a two story Spanish style house in dark tan stucco with a red garage and castle door gate that served as the only entrance through the privacy wall surrounding our property. Oddly our front door was a deep blue and not red, but the design aesthetic was appealing none the less.

Yep it was the same as always. As I entered the house I could hear Brian in the kitchen sounding less than enthused. Brian in a bad mood was rare and a curiosity I couldn't ignore before hunting down E. He spotted me as I was coming through the foyer that connected our entrance to both the living rooms and the kitchen and his expression changed from annoyed to apologetic. I was officially confused. That was until I saw the perfect blonde head sitting at the breakfast bar next to him. Oh joy. Kelsie was facing away from me and hadn't seen me yet, so it wasn't too late to bail and have Brian give my move to Ezr-

"There's by baby sister." Ez all, but yelled from behind me. So much for escaping.

"Ezra!" I yelled hugging him back.

"Ugh what are you 2 years old."

"I'd say I'm at least 4. What do you think Bri?" I asked as Ezra released me from his bear hug.

"Well I'm definitely 6 so I'd give you at least 5 years old." He smiled.

"Where's dad?" I asked.

" He's around here somewhere...I uh think." I loved Ezra, but he wasn't super observant. I don't think he even knows that Kelsie hates me and he lived with us for like 15 years before she went to college.

"Okay." I said rolling my eyes.

"Muffin?" Bri asked dangling a chocolate muffin in the air. I'd forgotten breakfast and was indeed hungry.

"Por favor. Yo tango hambre." he tossed it at me. Luckily I had quick and accurate reflexes.

"De nada." Brian smiled

"Gracias." I scrunched my face at him before attacking my newly acquired muffin.

"Hey there's my girl." My dad said entering the kitchen. "When did you get here."

"Like fifmting minuffs ahgo." I said through a mouthful of muffin and simultaneously trying to avoid the hair fluffing he was inevitably going to give me. Not my most ladylike moments.

"Not bad I haven't missed much then." he smiled leaning against the counter top.

"How you even understood that is incredible." Kelsie scoffed. My dad just shrugged.

" So," he smiled "How's my little music producer doing?" My dad's dream was to be a jazz guitarist, but he met my mom and ended up a lawyer.

"Awesome. I played a show last night, and have 4 songs in the top 100 on Beatport."

"Ooh Beatport wow your so famous." feigned excitement.

"Kelsie shut up." Brian snapped

"Please, no one know what Beatport even is. It's not like she got accepted to Dartmouth for Med School and Columbia." Kelsie smiled smugly. How she was going to council anyone was beyond me. If she was my psychiatrist I'd probably commit suicide - or become a serial killer.

"That's nice Kels." my dad said half paying attention.

"Four tracks. That's impressive, when should I expect to see the label contracts."

"Probably not for a while."

"What are you download numbers?"

"Enough to get a number one song." I half smiled half cringed. I was stoked don't get me wrong; however my dad tended to go overboard on the lawyering sometimes.

"Number one!?" he coughed. "That's a big deal in the EDM world."

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" Kelsie shrieked from her chair startling everyone."I get into two of the most prestigious medical schools in the United States and you all are more interested in some crappy noise SHE made that just happened to hit number one on a website where everything is made to give sane people headaches!!! My God mom is the only other sane person in this family!"

"Then go brag to mom Kelsie."

"You are such a little brat."

"Yea I forgot I'm the high maintenance princess in this family." She was fuming now

" Girls please." My dad said trying to keep the peace.

"I don't even know why they decided to keep you when mom found out she was pregnant again. She should have stopped at three!"

Silence.

"I'm going to go. I have work soon."

"No Aaliyah, please stay." My dad said softly.

"Go ahead baby her now, just like always."

"You just told her you wish was aborted!" Brian said dumbfounded. At this point even Ezra figured out she hated me and was shaking his head. Normally Kelsie's verbal assaults didn't bother me, but finding out that A: my parents - more likely my mother - weren't sure they wanted me when I was conceived and B: she literally wished I was dead was a lot to process.

" I'm definitely gonna go. Ezra, Bri you know where I live if you want to see me later." I said throwing up a peace sign before heading for the door. I liked my life and was thankful for it, but I hadn't asked to be born. I also hadn't tried to out shine Kelsie, but things happen. Much like me putting on a happy face for work.

The nice thing about working at Body Electric Tattoo was that was close to my house and Jordan was currently one of my coworkers. Well he was a tattoo apprentice, while I was a receptionist who did the occasional micro-dermal piercings, but mostly I was a receptionist. I didn't mind though it wasn't like I planned on doing it forever. Eventually I'd either make money as a full time producer/dj or get a teaching credential and become a music teacher/ vocal coach. Please God let me be a producer!

"Sup?" Jordan greeted me as I walked into the shop. I was suddenly distracted from my bad mood. "What?"

"You weren't on my couch this morning." I said eyeing him suspiciously.

"Yea I know."

"But you we're there when I went to bed."

"You do have a spare room you know."

"You slept on the studio bed?"

"Yea."

"Why?"

"Your living room is fucking bright at 7 in the morning." he said deadpan.

"Oh. Well I don't sleep in there....very often." Jordan just shrugged.

"Liyah your early today." Brian, my boss, and the only person on the plant who calls me Lyiah said appearing from the back.

"Oh I thought I came in at 12:27 today." I said glancing at the clock.

"Uh-hu." he said giving me a questionable look.

"I was bored?" I offered. He shrugged accepting this.

"Whatever floats your boat."

"Soooo." I smiled taking a seat behind the reception area.

"Hmm?" Jordan responded.

"Party night?"

"Go on."

"Your house."

"Not down."

"I'll make dinner?"

"Go on."

"Tacos...and enchiladas."

"Go on."

"Horchada?"

"You can made horchada?"

"No...but I can get some."

"Like the one you had last time?"

"If by had you mean the one you took and drank, then yes."

"Deal." he said nodding.

ALT. POV

I sat in front of my laptop replaying the video of the girl for the millionth time to make sure it was real and the sensations were real. It wasn't as good as seeing her live, but the sensations her music held in that venue had the same effect. I still had no idea who she was, since once she left that stage she completely disappeared. It was quite the trick. I did't have time to do any cyber stalking either since I leave for tour in a few hours and wont have a chance to really make a plan for her. Its best to give send it to Joel. I could do that for her at least. Then again I could be full of my self she could be signed and doing underground shows for fun. I signed bringing my email up on the screen. I could watch her again later, but first things first. I had to make sure she's found.

Hey man,

I saw this girl last night, I didn't get a chance to do much else but film this clip, but if you like it do some digging for me please!! She's a producer... and maybe the cat your your mau5

- Skrill

NORMAL POV

In exchange for breakfast I usually made dinner when I was in the cooking mood or when I needed to bribe Jordan to drink at his place in order to not mess up mine. Mostly because I hated cooking solely for myself and I enjoyed not having to clean up the aftermath of our parties. I was also hoping that all the enchilada and taco making would distract me from the fact that I had let Kelsie get to me earlier.

"What's up?" Myles smiled as he leaned against the coutner next to me.

"Preparing an epic dinner before we get wasted tonight." I smiled jokingly.

"Need any help?"

"Hmm wanna grade the cheese and mix the taco seasoning?"

"Sure....Why do you seem sad?"

"I'm fine."

"You sure."

"Yea. No." Myles was silent waiting for me to tell him what was bothering. This is why he was my other best friend; he actually had the attention span and patients to listen on the rare occasion that something upset me that didn't require someone getting yelled at or punched.

"I saw my brothers today and the she devil was there."

"Ah yea Kelsie."

"The one and only."

"What'd she say this time?"

"The usual your not special routine."

"And?"

"When our dad was more interested in how my projects were going than her med school acceptance letters she flipped out, said how our mom was the only sane parent and how the family would have been perfect if our parents would have stopped after three kids."

"What a bitch. No you know what screw her. Your parents said screw perfect we want awesome." I smiled as I continued to brown the meat. "Hug?" he asked holding out his arms.
i nodded complying. I loved hugging Myles. I usually hug him excessively once I reach a certain level of intoxication and occasionally pet his head.

"I really don't know how you put up with me." I mumbled into his chest.

"I don't know either. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with the grades I get on our group projects." Really now? This is the sweet one of my friends? I scrunched my face and smacked him. "I'm just kidding."

"Sure."

"Seriously though. I mean my gpa is the higher one."

"Yea because you bitched out and took astronomy for an easy A and I took physics and got a B."

"Are you defending yourself, because it sounds like your saying I'm smarter."

"Just shut up and mix the seasoning."

"Its already done."

"Then text Jordan and tell him to get alcohol before he comes over so we don't have to go any where after dinner but your house."

"K."

ALT. POV

"What does Skrillex want now." I laughed impersonating him for the current Ustream video I was doing.

Hey man,

I saw this girl last night, I didn't get a chance to do much else but film this clip, but if you like it do some digging for me please!! She's a producer... and maybe the cat to your Mau5

- Skrill

"That's interesting. Hey Lindsey!"

"What?" She yelled as she came down the hall.

"Come here, for a minute, Skrillex found me a research project."

"What is it?"

"A girl."

"I though he was dating Ellie."

"A musical girl."

"Well play it."

"No!" I said then clicked play. For being fucked by shitty audio recordings, I was impressed after the first minute. It takes a serious skill to sound this good on a shitty recording, plus it made happy that she had a cat mask.

"I like her. Who is she?'

"That's the mystery."

"This is my last song. You guys are awesome. I saved the best for last." her voice rang over the crowed. and then the beat took over and everything slowly stood still and then shattered.

"Alight Skrilly, challenge accepted." I said pulling up every research and music site I could. "Lets see who you are... Oh, good twitter fans. Now I know why I do this shit so often its almost as good as Google."

NORMAL POV

"What question do I read?" Myles asked drawing from the deck.

"The black book one." Tabbi said snuggling into Braden's arm.

"K here we go. What is a sure fire sign that you are dating a psych?"

"Oh god." Braden laughed. We were currently playing an eleven person game of loaded questions adults- the drinking game adapted version. I loved this game personally just cause there were about three answers that always seemed to come up. I quickly jotted down my answer and passed it to Jordan who was the current answer keeper.

"Alright. Let's do this." Myles breathed. Jordan nodded.

"First one: They're in a Jason mask."

"K. Let me hear them all."

"K. So. They're in a Jason mask. They bring their 17 cats with them on dates. Their address is 410 North Flores Street. you're dating Braden's mom -"

"Everytime." Braden said shaking his head. "Bullshit"

"Hey sir, hey. Let me finsih." Jordan said in a mock serious tone.

"Sorry."

"She gave birth to Braden.-"

"Fuck you guys."

"Ahem. It's...hahahahaha... it's Aaliyah."

"Really?!"

"Shut up bitch." Jordan said glaring at me. I smacked him in response. "They wear an LED Cat mask. They're 5' 9"sih brown hair, have gaged ears and are neamed Jordan. " He flipped the table off. "They spell their first name A-A-L-I-Y-A-H like a black person. and They're a Jew."

"Hey." Tabbi said crossing her arms.

"It means we love you." Jade offered.

"Myles sir. Do you have an order?"

"Read them again one by one.'

"They're in a Jason mask."

"K um Steph"

"17 Cats"

"Tabbi"

"You're dating braden's mom."

"Sam"

"Their address is 410 N. Flores."

"He. Ezra."

"They gave birth to Braden?'

"Megan"

"Aaliyah."

"Skip."

"LED Cat mask."

"Ah Um skip."

"5'9ish brown....me?"

"Aly."

"Aaliyah like a black person."

"Jade."

"Their a jew."

"Braden."

"K your down to Me and Brian. with Aaliyah and the LED cat mask."

"Cat mask is Brian and Aaliyah is you."

"Alright you got: Tabbi, Steph, Ezra, Brian, Aly, and Jade right. So you guys take shots." Jordan smiled handing me the handle of grey goose we had.

"This is going to be a short lived game." Sam laughed."Eleven people every turn is going to end this pretty fast.

"That why we have two 30 packs for rage cage and bp." Jordan said. "Aly go."

"Alright. What is a sexy name for a girl?" Either I was drunk already from being last and having had 6 shorts already or everyone decided to write at lightning speed."

"Would you like a list first?'

"Yep."

"K here we go. We have Jenna Jamison, Steph, Kevin? Aaliyah, Jenna Jamison, Mila, Braden's Mom, Aaliyah, Jade, and 2 more Jenna Jamisons.

"Really? Ok um the Jade said Jade. The Jenna Jamisons are Brian, Rob, Steph, and Megan. Mila is Tabbi. Steph is Sam. Kevin is Megan. the Aaliyahs are you Myles and Ezra. and Braden's mom is Jordan."

"You got everyone except Ezra, Jordan and Jade."

"Who said me then?"

"I did." Jordan said." Jade's eyes widen in shock. I'm assuming from the fact that Ezra had then said her name was sexy.

"Cause you knew I wouldn't guess it right." he shrugged.

"I can't drink any more vodka." Megan said slamming her glass down having finished her shot.
Megan by the way was one of Jades friends from class. Sam was Myles' old roommate before he moved in with his girl friend Steph.

"Me neither." Brian added. He was one of the few who had more shots than me.

"Rage cage time? Or flip cup?" Braden asked.

"Oh I love flip cup!" Steph said excited.

"Alright Teams."

"I call not Tabbi." Braden yelled.

"Hey!"

"Sorry but you can't chug."

"I call Myles and Jordan." Jade yelled.

"Aaliyah." Jordan and Myles said in unison.

"Brian!" I yelled completing our team."

"Wait were uneven...And I'm on Tabbi's team dammit" Braden whined.

"I dont want to play." she frowned.

"No its fine Aly can flip go twice." Jordan offered.

"No way! she's like the best one on your team!"

"Jade goes twice?" I offered taking my spot as anchor.

"Fine." Braden agreed. After 3 rounds of being undefeated I blacked out.

NEXT DAY

I woke feeling great until I stood up and the room was still not stationary. You know your day is screwed when you wake up still drunk from the night before, especially when the little sleep you got didn't make the vertigo stop. As comfortable as Jordan's bedroom floor was and as much as I despised the concept of moving I needed a bed more, my bed to be exact. Being in a house that didn't smell like booze when I actually reached the hangover stage would also be a plus. Now I'd just have to find my keys and hopefully a pair of sunglasses, since going outside in direct sunlight was unavoidable if I wanted to pass out again in my own bed.

The worst part about walking home was that it felt like a 10 mile marathon through Death Valley, rather than the .2 miles of fairly shady side streets it actually was. That and no matter how bad it felt the previous time I'd made the journey, the current one seemed way worse, which I'm sure would be the same sentiment I'd have in about a month when I decided to do this again. On the bright side I was at least on my street and there were no witnesses yet to see how unbelievably unattractive I must be right now. Between the cold sweat from fighting vertigo, part of yesterdays make up and the natural curl that had no doubt taken over my perfectly teased hair(from when it was straightened last night) I could only imagine that I looked like I had escaped some sort of captivity. A shower and a large quantity of conditioner would be in order for when I wake up; some aspirin and a liter of water would also be necessary. And being the wonderful drunk person I am, I grabbed one of the giant ice cold bottles from the fridge to sleep with for easy access later.

When I finally managed to regain consciousness it was 4:00 pm. Sober me appreciated the water bottle of water I had evidently passed out with and the room was no longer moving. I did have a minor headache, but it was manageable. It was the thought of food that was not okay though despite the fact that I hadn't eaten since dinner, at least that I was aware of. I tend to get drunk munchies though once I pass a certain point. While I had no missed text messages or calls I did have a message...written in sharpie on my forearm.

MESSAGE:

It's 2 pm you and Jordan are the only 2 assholes still sleeping. HE at least doesn't have a homework project due tomorrow like we do and I am the only one working on it so right now so fuck you! When you do WAKE THE FUCK UP I'll be in your studio.

Love Myles

PS check the Mirror - Jordan

I really needed to remember to lock my bedroom door...and maybe my windows too because as much as I liked my cat mask when I preformed, having one sharpied on my face along with "Jordan's bitch" and "I love Jordan." was not so much fun.

"Assholes!" I whined walking into my studio where Myles and Jordan were currently playing with my all my synthesizers and a ukulele that one of them had apparently brought with them.

Myles turned and nodded."Nice sir nice." he laughed patting Jordan on the back who was facing the computer.

"Really the face?" I asked crossing my arms. He looked up from the screen, but didn't turn around.

"Really." He said.

"Oh ho." I stifled a laugh. At some point I had evidently had the sharpie and full access to his face. "I have make up remover." I said hanging my head to prevent from laughing.

"Paybacks a bitch."

"Hey I'm a fucking cat."

"Hahahahah. I just realized that." Myles said high-fiving Jordan.

"Fair enough." Jordan nodded getting up. "Truce?"

"Okay." I hugged him.

"Now Myles and I have a song to finish composing so out!" I said pointing to the door.

"Aww" he whined.

"Awha." Myles called back.

"Awwahaa."

"Really?" I asked ending the aw calls. I now knew how Jade felt on a semi regular basis when I and the guys did this to her.

"Fine. Later." He shrugged heading out of the studio room.

"As for you," I said turning to Myles.

"Me? What'd I do?"

"I finished my part so listen, approve, and show me your parts so we can finish this bitch."

"Yes ma'am"